Ideas for pilot watch; shortlisted maratec
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By freeme81
  • 2 Post By freeme81
  • 1 Post By drlvegas

Thread: Ideas for pilot watch; shortlisted maratec

Hi all, after getting my 1st mechanical watch seiko black monster, which is a diver watch, now I'm sourcing a new pilot for my collection. After much sourcing, I have decided on maratec red crown limited production. Like the clean look, big size & affordable price with above average specs.
    Cost: $299

Any other pilot which worth recommend by forumers which are around the same price? Looking forward to recommendation. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    goatscapeable likes this.

Re: Ideas for pilot watch; shortlisted maratec

Hugo Junkers and Graf Zeppelin are a great option at that price, I own an automatic Junkers and love it! If you stretch your budget just a tad, get a Laco. Huge history behind that brand, they have an official forum on here if you're interested.

Hugo Junkers and Graf Zeppelin are a great option at that price, I own an automatic Junkers and love it! If you stretch your budget just a tad, get a Laco. Huge history behind that brand, they have an official forum on here if you're interested.
    Good suggestions. But hard to beat the Maratec in terms of bang for the buck.
    "Either he's dead or my watch has stopped"
    Groucho Marx

"The only reason for time is so that everything does not happen at once..."
    Albert Einstein

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Lazycollegekid View Post

I have take a look at laco.. Clean design too, seems like using similar movement but at higher price point.. Should be out of my budget.

Will check out the other 2 brands you mentioned.

What does the red crown do? Do you remove it before flight? I have an older 46mm Maratec Pilot. It's a very solid watch.
    Last edited by ken_sturrock; January 14th, 2014 at 07:47.

Quote Originally Posted by ken_sturrock View Post
    What does the red crown do? Do you remove it before flight? I have an older 46mm Maratec Pilot. It's a very solid watch.
    That red crown is for emergency, once pulled parachute will deploy. That's why it's a pilot watch. Cool?

Last edited by freeme81; January 14th, 2014 at 14:12.
    ken_sturrock and l3wy like this.

I just got a Maratac Large Pilot & love it. It's a real bargain. I put a plain 22/22 thick black leather strap on it--I'm not a fan of the NATO nylon straps.

Keep in mind the Red Crown model is 39mm, not 46mm.
    freeme81 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by drlvegas View Post
    I just got a Maratac Large Pilot & love it. It's a real bargain. I put a plain 22/22 thick black leather strap on it--I'm not a fan of the NATO nylon straps.

Keep in mind the Red Crown model is 39mm, not 46mm.
    Yup.. Tks for the reminder. Initially I'm aiming the large 46mm, but when I saw that red crown model, I thought its quite outstanding.. Still considering which to go for..

I don't like the red crown at all.

The Maratec otherwise is sharp and a good value. But I'd also push the miyota-powered Laco, though, which is one of the very best values in the watch world. Laco was one of five companies that actually made pilot watches for the Luftwaffe, and its current versions are almost exactly like the originals, albeit scaled down (the originals were 50mm+ so they could be worn strapped onto the outside of flight jacket sleeves). Their rep for quality remains high. It comes in both "A" and "B" flavors. Here's the "A":

Here's the "B":
    Current Rotation: Seiko SARB017, Seiko SARB035, Seiko SKX013, Seiko World Timer (c. 1970).
    Box Sitters: 1972 Zodiac Astrographic (Yeah, baby!), Patek Calatrava (I bring that out for special occasions).

I have done a more in-depth search for classic pilot style watches and Laco appeared most of the time. Another few names are like Aristo, german watchmaker using ETA movement. Both Laco & Aristo prices range above $300 or even higher.

Cheaper version such as Orient & Aeromatic 1912 offer similar look at below $150.

Aeromatic 1912 A1346:

Orient ER2A003B:

Sottomarino Pilotare:

Still cannot make any decision yet.. any more others recommendation & ideas..?

Thread Information