If it cost you more, do you enjoy it more?
Like Tree87Likes

Thread: If it cost you more, do you enjoy it more?

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

If it cost you more, do you enjoy it more?

I have owned, worn, flipped quite a few watches. Some (for my budget) were higher end (Zenith/Rolex/Breitling/Omega); some lower end (Citizen/Casio); and some middle level (Tudors, Longines, JDM Seikos). I find I love most watches, regardless of cost, whether higher end or lower end. I dont think higher cost outlay made a watch any more special for me or enjoyable to wear. I owned n wore for several days a week, for 9years, a Rolex DSSD but I think my Seiko Emperor Tunas at 1/4 cost of the Rolex have given me more pleasure and I adore my Casio Mudmaster GWG1000.

So - does cost affect how you appreciate a watch? Do you gain more pleasure the more it costs? Or does getting a bargain give more pleasure? or sentimental connections or memories associated with wearing the watch or ????

This watch gives me more enjoyment than any other - partly cos of exclusivity, it was rare and never sold in the UK; partly cos I got it at a reasonable price; Partly cos it is a copy of such an Iconic Dive watch; partly cos I found it tucked away in a pawn shop and rescued it & had it serviced by Seiko & waited months and got it back pristine; partly cos my wife wanted to buy it for me for our 30th wedding anniversary knowing I loved it even though she thought it ugly.

Name:  IMG_4127.jpg
Views: 75
Size:  2.06 MB

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose" Jim Elliot - Missionary, Martyr

Re: If it cost you more, do you enjoy it more?

Definitely not. I've owned two Rolex watches, a Sub and a DJ and whilst I did enjoy them briefly I get much more pleasure from owning other pieces that have cost significantly less money. At the moment I'm really enjoying my Aquis and Big Crown Pointer as well as an SKX007 which, combined, easily cost less than the Sub. I don't worry about how much a piece is worth as long as I really like it.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk
    Simon and moreland4 like this.

How do you define enjoyment?
    I enjoy my GShock the most as it is worry free fun.
    Simon likes this.
    “If we could be satisfied with anything, we should have been satisfied long ago.”
    ― Seneca

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Cost doesn't figure into my "enjoyment" for watches and just about anything else, not even sure why it would/should.

Nope-not at all.
    One of my favorites is an 80 dollar Vostok Scuba - dude.
    Simon and Parkgate like this.

Simple answer, NO. Some of my cheaper watches give me far more enjoyment. Don't know why, they just do !
    When I read about the evils of drinking I gave up reading

Cool Seiko!

I find I'm quite the opposite. I love a nicely done watch and have paid well for them.

It's always more rewarding though, to get more for your money - more enjoyment and refinement in a piece then you have a "right" to - than to pay for quality that you expect at the price point.
    Simon likes this.

Yes, somewhat.
    One of the things I most appreciate is the quality and workmanship of any given watch. Not to say there are not examples of superb quality at reasonable cost, but typically the better the quality or artistry, the higher the cost. So in that respect, yes I tend to enjoy higher cost watches more than lesser cost examples due to the inherent cost of quality and artistry.
    41Mets, drhr, Alysandir and 2 others like this.

Yes and no.

I enjoy my Gold watches more than my Stainless ones... I just like gold I guess. By the nature of gold, they cost more than most of the SS ones I own. They also have a higher level of artistry / fit and finish than my SS tool and casual watches.

Stacked against each other, they no longer follow any 'cost rule' and I enjoy them depending on my mood.

Hi Timefleas
    Many well known brands from cars to clothing to jewellery have built their marque predicated on the Veblen goods principle. Those who pursue and pay for them gain great enjoyment from these items due to the delicious cocktail of exclusivity, expense and excellence. I can understand that.
    However, I personally find I enjoy a £400 watch as much as a £4000. The £4000 watch is more exclusive, expensive and excellent (in many material respects) but I enjoy them all. and if they were all the same price,and I could only have 1, it would not be the most expensive, exclusive or excellent.
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose" Jim Elliot - Missionary, Martyr

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread Information