If It Worked Once, It'll Work Again, Right?
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: If It Worked Once, It'll Work Again, Right?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

If It Worked Once, It'll Work Again, Right?

Happened across this in my hunt for what to buy next. Now I don't care about Sly, and I don't own/want a Panerai any time soon. But perhaps someone will think it's cool that Sly is promoting this brand. Personally, I think it might work if he'd had something to say about their more approachable offerings. (I only half listened to him and I heard him mention the Chaos watch, which is a one night a year piece.)

__________________________________________________ _____________________________
    Cheers,
    Tony

Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment.
    ― A.A. Milne

Re: If It Worked Once, It'll Work Again, Right?

This is the only one I am aware of and posted it awhile back in "the ugliest" thread...:

$5K for this POS!
    "Time isn't the main thing. It is the only thing!" - Miles Davis

I have found that some people just like to hear themselves typing.

Friends don't let friends buy G-Schlocks.

You think I'm condescending...?? Do you even know what that means... ??

Every time God closes one door... I open a bottle of bourbon.

¹ I have learned that you have to put a smiley face or LOL behind anything just so people don't take you too seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by I Like em BIG ! ! View Post
    This is the only one I am aware of and posted it awhile back in "the ugliest" thread...:

$5K for this POS!
    Yep, they make that too. That's the Chaos watch that Sly chats about in his video for them.
    __________________________________________________ _____________________________
    Cheers,
    Tony

Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment.
    ― A.A. Milne

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Moderator at Large stuffler,mike's Avatar

Montegappa makes high end pens and they should concentratevon exactly that. But the watch does not fit into that portfolio. Even if it might seem hard to dislike the crown which is eight-sided like the pen bodies and comes with a black cabochon the watch case is fitted with an undecorated ETA 2824-2, the rotor just features the Montegrappa logo. That's it. There are two models with quartz models which is another downer. Montblanc's approach is t he better one imho.
    Kind regards
    Mike

Instagram @mikestuffler

Asia - HK, Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, Shanghai

to be honest nevet heard it
    There is no such thing as a collector's watch.

To answer the question posed in the title... no, I don't think it will work again.
    tony20009 likes this.
    Rolex Submariner
    Zenith Chronomaster XT Open El Primero

Omega Seamaster James Bond 007 Limited Edition
    Kobold Comanche
    Helson Sharkmaster
    Sinn U1
    Alpina Extreme Diver

Maurice Lacroix Miros
    Ball B&O First Mile

Edox Classe Royale Open Heart Automatic
    Shinola Brakeman 46

Luminox 3000 Navy Seal Diver
    Hamilton Khaki Navy Sub
    Seiko Black Monster
    Citizen Ecozilla
    Deep Blue Sunray Diver 1k
    and various other makes and models

Quote Originally Posted by bacari View Post
    To answer the question posed in the title... no, I don't think it will work again.
    I don't know whether I agree or disagree with you, but I like that you answered the question.
    Cheers,
    Tony

― A.A. Milne

Quote Originally Posted by stuffler,mike View Post
    Montegappa makes high end pens and they should concentratevon exactly that. But the watch does not fit into that portfolio. Even if it might seem hard to dislike the crown which is eight-sided like the pen bodies and comes with a black cabochon the watch case is fitted with an undecorated ETA 2824-2, the rotor just features the Montegrappa logo. That's it. There are two models with quartz models which is another downer. Montblanc's approach is t he better one imho.
    So you don't think a company can diversify into a new part of the luxury goods industry? What makes it so bad that Montegappa is trying to echo Mont Blanc's move?
    Cheers,
    Tony

― A.A. Milne

Quote Originally Posted by stuffler,mike View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tony20009 View Post
    So you don't think a company can diversify into a new part of the luxury goods industry? What makes it so bad that Montegappa is trying to echo Mont Blanc's move?
    I don't think that is what Mike is saying. I think he is just saying given Montegrappa's offerings above...#1 they should not quit their day job. #2 if they are going to go this route...take the far classier page out of MB's book. As far as the watch you posted...not my cup of tea, but we have seen equally offensive/ridiculous watches by "devoted watchmakers" with "deep history."
    tony20009 likes this.

Grail: Montblanc Villeret Tachydate Monopusher

Looks kind of like Swatch meets Bvlgari.

Quote Originally Posted by tony20009 View Post
    The bad part is that they moved on to watches without first fixing their pens. I don't think we can expect any better from their watches than we can from their pens; in other words they offer no competition to Montblanc on any front. For them to move into watches makes them look like they're just hopping on the MB gravy train, kind of like how they assigned MB prices to their pens with little justification in terms of quality. I wonder if OMAS will follow suit with an even worse watch line at an even higher price, consistent with what they've done with their pens.
    tony20009 likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information