If you had to choose between quartz or solar

Thread: If you had to choose between quartz or solar

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Banned

If you had to choose between quartz or solar

Which one would you choose and why.

Re: If you had to choose between quartz or solar

They are the same. Both are quartz watches. The solar watch has a solar cell under the dial which converts sunlight into electricity which runs the watch. The excess power is stored in either a battery or capacitor.
    The regular quartz just uses a battery for the power supply which will have to be replaced every couple of years.

I prefer the solar because I probably will not have to replace the battery for the life of the watch.

I was just thinking about this myself, debating on a solar Casio vs. a Casio with a 10 year battery. The solar was more expensive and more to go wrong and 10 years is probably 5 years longer than the real life of a watch in my hands, so battery wins out in this case. Bottom line is there's no black and white answer.

Sodiac
    Too many watches, only two wrists and never enough time...

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Philip_napa View Post
    They are the same. Both are quartz watches. The solar watch has a solar cell under the dial which converts sunlight into electricity which runs the watch. The excess power is stored in either a battery or capacitor.
    The regular quartz just uses a battery for the power supply which will have to be replaced every couple of years.

I prefer the solar because I probably will not have to replace the battery for the life of the watch.
    I should have rephrased the question. I know both are quartz but one stores on a rechargeable battery vs a replacement. Now doesn't the capacitor have a life of ten years or so. In that case the regular quartz should last longer which leads me to my question earlier on which will last the longest battery replacement aside regular quartz, solar, or mechanical before having to replace parts or a complete overhaul.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Sodiac View Post
    I was just thinking about this myself, debating on a solar Casio vs. a Casio with a 10 year battery. The solar was more expensive and more to go wrong and 10 years is probably 5 years longer than the real life of a watch in my hands, so battery wins out in this case. Bottom line is there's no black and white answer.
    What did you find out as far as more going wrong with solar.

For me it's a really loaded question. I prefer solar over non-solar quartz....but that is just 1 small factor for decision making. The most important factor to me is the style/design of the entire watch.......then features...like does it have sapphire, or is it flexible with strap changing......or for the purpose. If it was strictly for a survival tool, I'd go with some Casio atomic solar, digital.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bigvatch View Post
    For me it's a really loaded question. I prefer solar over non-solar quartz....but that is just 1 small factor for decision making. The most important factor to me is the style/design of the entire watch.......then features...like does it have sapphire, or is it flexible with strap changing......or for the purpose. If it was strictly for a survival tool, I'd go with some Casio atomic solar, digital.
    I could never get a good signal here on all the atomic clocks I purchased. I wonder if I would have the same problem with the watch.

10 years battery will be superior but anything less than that, I will prefer solar operated quartz.
    " One Watch to rule them all, One Watch to find them. One Watch to bring them all and the darkness bind them. "

Tal

why did this post up here?
    ohh, the quote!
    Last edited by Tal; June 24th, 2011 at 04:01. Reason: strange things

Tal

Quote Originally Posted by Sodiac View Post
    I was just thinking about this myself, debating on a solar Casio vs. a Casio with a 10 year battery. The solar was more expensive and more to go wrong *clip*
    Not sure about this as the most prolific, indestructible solar powered item i can think of springs to mind..
    OLD Casio and TI et al. solar powered calculators that just-wont-die.
    SERIOUSLY, how many old battery powered calcs are still kicking around? every utility drawer has a pile of the old solar that still work.

Years and years of advancements through their ongoing use in small consumer equipment has pretty much perfected the technology of small solar systems and brought the pricing down very significantly.

just thinking out loud.
    Tal

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information