If you think it's tough to get a SS Rolex now, just wait!!
Like Tree197Likes

Thread: If you think it's tough to get a SS Rolex now, just wait!!

Page 1 of 23 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Heard some data and projections that stunned me today and it has a direct impact on the demand for luxury products such as Rolex. I think it's pretty well-established that Rolex is the most dominant aspirational luxury product in China right now and unless that mindset totally disappears, what I heard today makes me conclude the demand for Rolexes is going to go through the roof!

Background: I was attending a conference and the keynote speaker threw out some data. He's a co-founder of one of China's most prominent e-commerce firms and opined on what the future holds for that company.

He was specifically asked whether the company would try to expand beyond their current China-only footprint. He said (and I'm totally paraphrasing here) "No. We think there's plenty of opportunity left in China. China has 1.3 billion people and it's only recently that we've developed a sizeable middle class here. There are currently 350 million people in our middle class. That in itself is already roughly the population of the United States.

But more importantly, we believe another 500 million people will join the middle class in the next 10-15 years."

Holy crap!! REALLY???

WIS are already complaining about how difficult it is to get a SS Rolex at an AD these days. It's the direct result of the explosive growth in global wealth (notably China and soon to be followed by other emerging economies...); I do not believe in the conspiracy theory that Rolex is holding back production/supply to jack prices up. ADs are simply unable to keep any inventory. (Yes, some watches will always be squirreled away by the ADs for their VIPs but that's not the dominant factor at play here...)

It will be damn interesting to see how Rolex responds to this expected surge in demand. That will be the $64 billion dollar question. My guess: I seriously doubt Rolex will make the commitment required to meet this demand.

TL:DR: Here's the punchline. If you think it's tough or impossible to get a SS Rolex without going through the grey market now, just wait. The worst is yet to come. It won't fully materialize in the next year or two but it is coming and now will be fondly remembered as the good ol' days. You heard it here first.

I'm still stunned when I think about the numbers... Just absolutely mind-boggling.
    Seaswirl, masqueman, drhr and 13 others like this.
    Well, I was standing on a corner in Winslow, AZ and Clara Oswald slowed down to take a look at me and my GS Tiffany SnowflakeTM...

Re: If you think it's tough to get a SS Rolex now, just wait!!

So glad I tasted all the Rolex models I wanted to experience . . . .
    Techniec likes this.
    A.Lange & Sohne * Audemars Piguet * Blancpain * Cartier * Dornblueth & Sohne * Invicta * Jaeger-LeCoultre * Meraud * Rolex * Revolution Watch Company * Tudor

"the deeper the roots, the higher the reach" - author unknown

Yesterday I was clever, so I wanted to change the world. Today I am wise, so I am changing myself. - Rumi

Quote Originally Posted by BigSeikoFan View Post
    ...But more importantly, we believe another 500 million people will join the middle class in the next 10-15 years."

Holy crap!! REALLY???
    ... Just absolutely mind-boggling.
    Speculation is just that--speculation--if you want to run with that, feel free--doesn't concern me in the least, but one thing I am sure of, whatever numbers emerge into the Chinese "middle class", they won't ALL be buying Rolexes...
    tamns7 and brandon\ like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

The next crash might just change all that.
    ndrs63, simonp67, 6R15 and 2 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by timefleas View Post
    Speculation is just that--speculation--if you want to run with that, feel free--doesn't concern me in the least, but one thing I am sure of, whatever numbers emerge into the Chinese "middle class", they won't ALL be buying Rolexes...
    You Sherlock. And no, it is not just speculation. China, India, Asian countries, even Africa is booming. Hundreds of millions of people have been lifted from poverty.
    BigSeikoFan, mleok and gav1230 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by timefleas View Post
    No not all of them will be buying Rolex that's for sure.

Now answer me this...how many percent of the population in the USA own one or multiple Rolex. Sure we probably don't have any concrete figures, but let's just say 0.1% shall we?

The population of the USA in the year 2018 is just under 330 million. And 0.1% of that is about 330,000. Sounds about right?

Now according to the forecast 500 million new middle class will emerge. Let's say they are wrong and only 50% of that figure pans out. That's still 250 million.

Say 0.1% of them are interested in owning a Rolex again? 250,000 right there.

That's 1/4 of the annual production of Rolex.

Whether these figures are correct or not it doesn't change the fact that the demand for luxury goods will only get higher. And we all know what happens when demand is higher than supply don't we?

brother of OoO

As someone mentioned earlier, the assumption is continued growth on the Asian continent. At some point a recession is expected, and that will be the time when demand will cool off. Also, do you think Rolex is not looking at expanding while other luxury brands will?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lived in China for the last three years. Worked in Asia for much longer.

There is a marked difference between Asian consumers and American/Western consumers in terms of affinity for luxury products. Asian consumers, especially Chinese, have a strong desire to show off and to show "face." They want to appear successful and wealthy to their inner circle as well as to the general public. Part of this exercise includes purchasing and wearing brands that are easily recognizable as expensive. Hence why the items from luxury brands that sell best in China have huge logos vs. perhaps a subtler logo.

Look at the evolution of Gucci as an example. Previously, sophisticated and restrained. Now, casual with big logos on everything. Chinese are gobbling it up and part of why they are changing is Chinese preference. Chinese also operate with a herd mentality and once something becomes popular, everyone wants it.

Rolex is an icon watch and easily recognizable with the cyclops. Chinese love Rolex and they will spend more than other cultures for luxury goods.

With that said, I am interested to see how the retail landscape works. Chinese are generally not trusting, and I think the lack of inventory at an AD would be more limiting than in Western markets. In addition, there is a huge consumption of fake goods in China which may increase in demand given difficulty obtaining authentic.

Rolex watches are also much more expensive in China due to the import tax. Chinese often buy in HK, USA, or other markets as well, which may skew the purchasing data.
    natesen, mleok, Alysandir and 4 others like this.

I just got back from Shanghai. In one stretch on Nanjing Lu, probably no more than a mile, I walked past like 3 Rolex ADs.
    Simon, natesen and mleok like this.

Quote Originally Posted by BigSeikoFan View Post
    TL:DR: Here's the punchline. If you think it's tough or impossible to get a SS Rolex without going through the grey market now, just wait. The worst is yet to come.
    But isn't one of the pertinent points right there in your TLDR punchline? You can still buy them, but just from the grey market. If so, where did they come from? I'm not saying demand would be sated by that supply line if it was shut down, but it would satisfy some, and some of the demand might dissipate if there wasn’t a profit to be made on the flip. Based on what I am seeing in some closed Facebook selling groups, quite a bit of that stock is being bought in Asian countries, and then funnelled into my local market. I suspect the same is true for your local market too. Maybe these entrepreneurial wannabe Rolex owners don’t want to be owners at all, but just want the icing on the cake

Page 1 of 23 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread Information