if you watch was a car, what would it be?

Thread: if you watch was a car, what would it be?

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

if you watch was a car, what would it be?

First thread! not sure if this has already been done but im writing it anyway.

so here we go, i own quiet a few Seiko's and i appreciate all of them. As a watch fanatic (as of last year) i know that Seiko, Citizen, Orient etc are pretty darn good watches but I get this often from my friends and it bugs me.
    -oh nice watch!
    =Thanks
    -what is it?
    =Seiko
    -oh..........
    i could have a Grand Seiko that is worth much more then a Tag and which is build ten BAZILLION times better inside and out but my friends would still prefer the Tag. (prob cuz brad pitt advertised it)
    i need to help others understand where my watches stand in terms of quality and prestige and maybe price and i think relating it to a car would be easiest.

most people have the miss conception that a Seiko, citizen etc is a watch you pick up at the corner bargain shop. They know is cheap and its not a Rolex, Tag or Omega. i picked up my first Seiko (quartz) last year for US$30 and i was hooked!! (the dial paint job and the hands were very fine and put together nicely and for only $30) ANYWAY to the comparisons!

i kind of think Casio is very much like Toyota in general. Sturdy, lots of features, reasonable and does the job well.

i know this might be a bit too high but i think Seiko, Citizen, Orient are kind of like your audi, BMW and Merc.

Patek = rolls royce

IWC = Aston Martin (luxury/sports)

Tag = some crap with a paint job

as you can tell i dont like tags very much i think they have alot of BARK but no Bite. So sorry in advance if i have offended anyone.

(different watch brands can fall under the same car company)

Re: if you watch was a car, what would it be?

-Jarrod

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Chan View Post
    i need to help others understand where my watches stand in terms of quality and prestige and maybe price and i think relating it to a car would be easiest.
    But do you have the Grand Seiko tho? So yea, your friends are right that they prefer Tag > Seiko.
    And how "prestige" and "quality" can a $30 watch be?

That's very subjective, my friend. As you don't even own a Tag. I can tell you that my Tag Carrera is just a well built as my Omega's.

(prob cuz brad pitt advertised it)
    Yes I do agree that Tag is over advertised, but you can't deny their quality because of that. Do you have any idea how much the 7750 movements they used cost?

I am really curious how much Tag-haters on this forum actually owned a Tag in their lives?
    Last edited by Nirvana; March 20th, 2009 at 06:53.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Moderator High-end watches amine's Avatar

[quote

No Comment.
    Oris Flight Timer R4118,Oris Carlos Coste 2007,Oris TT3,Rolex Submariner date,Rolex Milgauss GV,Rolex cosmograph Daytona,Rolex GMT Master II-C,Patek Philippe Nautilus 5712/1A,A.Lange & Söhne Lange1,Breguet Le Reveil Du Tsar,Vacheron Constantin Overseas Dual Time,Audemars Piguet ROO Safari,Omega SMP1164,Panerai 177,Panerai 88,Panerai 214,Panerai 233,Breitling Navitimer world,Tag Heuer aquaracer D/D, Tag Heuer Microtimer,Tag Heuer SLR 2007 L.E,Tag Heuer Carrera, Cartier Santos 100,Frederique Constant Austin Healey L.E,Maurice Lacroix Pontos,Maurice Lacroix MP Double Retrograde,Chopard Mille Miglia GT XL 2007 L.E,Tissot Moto GP 2007 L.E,JeanRichard Chronoscope J-051,JeanRichard Chronoscope 25030,JeanRichard Bressel 16012,Longines Lindbergh 47mm,Girard Perregaux Laureato Evo3,Jaeger-Le-Coultre Master World Geographic,IWC Classic Pilot Chrono,IWC 5001 Portuguese 7 Days,Baume & Mercier Hampton XL Magnum,Zenith Defy Classic Chrono Aero,Zenith Defy Extreme Chrono,Longines Legend Diver...etc

Arthur, as you say you have only been a 'watch fanatic' for a year, I think it would behoove you to conduct some research before you go out and publicly bash a specific brand without any real merit or basis. You would find that Tags are very popular, and while they are not my "brand of choice", they have some quite original designs that use reliable, tried and true movements.
    -Jarrod

i need to help
    Yes Yes you do.
    JD
    Current rotation

More than last year less than next year, consolidation not withstanding

i think OMEGAS are beautiful!!! and i hope to own one in the near future. i also think omegas outshine tags. Tags are ramped up by advertisements, you can own a IWC but still have people that prefer the TAG because they know nothing about IWC.

I prefer my Carrera over any watches in the world I will tell you that. :oops: Even the Urwerk 202.

I Admit they look "COOL" a very modern look and that is what sells but how much was a Tag CJF2110.BA0594 when it first came out? 4-5 grand?? im sure you can find a better auto chrono in that range. and oky your movement is expensive but did you buy the watch for the movement?

nirvana0001 AWWWW i didnt mean it that way!!! i dont hate hate TAG i guess you can say im scorn. i do believe they are good watches and i would buy one but i dont like the thought of "joining the band wagon" (did i say it right?) and im scorn cuz most poeple i know only like TAG because thats the only billboard they have seen............. and they think rolex is too old for them.

nirvana0001 you have great watches!!! looks like you have never bought a watch thats given you a sloppy comment. i know every watch has its own league but alot of people dont know that and they compare my $30 seiko with a $5000 TAG. at first glance they said it was nice then they find out the brand and they get disapointed and even have looks of disgust on their face.
    doesnt matter, looks like i shouldnt of posted this. certain brands will always have a certain persona. like seiko, doesnt matter even if i had a Grand seiko Spring drive because it will always be just a seiko so some people.
    Last edited by Arthur Chan; March 20th, 2009 at 08:04.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread Information