If this was your collection, what would be your next watch?
Like Tree51Likes

Thread: If this was your collection, what would be your next watch?

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

If this was your collection, what would be your next watch?

Hello all,

I posted a similar question in the spring in the Rolex forum. I thought I had reached a decision but analysis-paralysis set in and I didn't buy anything. So now I'd like to open it up to the public forum as I'm seriously considering it again.

Attached is a picture of my modest collection--my 36mm Rolex Explorer (a wedding present from my wife), my Seiko SKX 007 (great beater for the beach/summer but also a watch i continue to wear year round) and my G-Shock (another awesome, fun beater.)

I'm looking to add another nice/luxury/whatever-you-want-to-call-it watch to my collection. Something on par with my Rolex Explorer. I'd like to keep it in the price range of a Rolex Explorer but I could go higher, say 8K max.

As an aside, I was at my nephew's wedding recently. I noticed he was wearing a beautiful Rolex Datejust. I asked him if it was a wedding present and he said it was actually my deceased grandfather's watch and had been passed down to his dad, who now gave it to him. It struck me at how meaningful and beautiful that was. I then started to think about the fact that I have two little boys. And that my Explorer will one day go down to one of them. And how I'd like to have another watch that will go down to my other son. I of course, get to enjoy it in the meantime.

So what do you think? If this was your collection, what would your next watch be?

Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Vioviv and vwatchv like this.

Re: If this was your collection, what would be your next watch?

SubC or Speedy.
    Aid1987, SaoDavi and briang583 like this.

A Rolex deffo but I can’t decide between a DJ and a Sub.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Davemcc View Post
    SubC or Speedy.
    This is what I would suggest too. You've got some classics right there so either of these two will fit in.

A Speedy would fill a void of having another brand in the collection and also by having a chrono. However you just can't go wrong with a sub.

My watches on Instagram: aecos87

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    My collection on Instagram ——> wis_dad

Timex Q Reissue
    Casio G-Shock GW-M5610
    Halios Seaforth (series 2) - Nimbus Grey
    Longines Legend Diver
    Omega Speedmaster Professional (311.30.42.30.01.005)
    Rolex Submariner (114060)
    Seiko SARB017 ‘Alpinist’
    Seiko SARB065 ‘Cocktail Time’

An obvious answer would be a chronograph of some description, but then again why saddle one of your boys with the extra service fees? :D

OTOH you liked the vintage DJ, and you clearly like more modestly-sized watches, so why not go vintage? 8K buys you a fair chunk of vintage Datejust. Or, if not vintage, minty pre-owned? It'll be vintage when your boy gets it.
    The road of excess leads to the palace of wisdom

My first thought when I saw the picture (and before I read the bit about the wedding DJ) was that I would buy a dress watch if this were my collection. My second thought was that, hey, this IS my collection (I have the 114270, SKX007 and a Casio (databank, not g-shock).

My 2 considerations when buying a watch with a view to hand it down are (1) is it worthy of being and heirloom piece, and (2) what will the service costs be in 15-20 years?

That considered, I would likely go with a Nomos Orion in 35mm or 38mm. Nomos as a brand will only grow in stature, and the Orion is the purest, best-designed modern dress watch available under $10,000 IMO (just a bonus that it's also under $3,000). If you compare their in-house service costs with any other luxury brand, they will be cheaper, and their part availability for 3rd-party watchmakers is second-to-none.

Name:  NomosOrion38.JPG
Views: 527
Size:  42.9 KB
    mgraham, mleok, anaplian and 4 others like this.

You need a white dial, a black strap, and a chronograph, preferably from a brand widely derided on WUS ... I'd say a Baume & Mercier Classima Auto Chronograph w/a 7750 movement. I know a guy who knows a guy who can get you a great deal ...

Name:  Unknown-2.jpeg
Views: 491
Size:  91.6 KB

Needs some sort of chronograph.
    Vioviv and Squirrelly like this.
    the five stages of a watch flipper
    infatuation
    appropriation acquisition justification resale

Yes, those are both watches I've considered and are considering.

It's funny, with all of the great history of the Speedy, my brain tells me that that should be the one given that it's such an icon. But I feel like I have to convince myself to love it. Maybe I'm just not a chronograph watch person. My brain likes it but not my heart. I don't look at it and say, "wow."

As for the Sub, I've thought about getting a five digit sub. And I still am. Again, it's an icon and can take anything and go anywhere, which I like. On the other hand, is it too much of an obvious choice? Almost a cliche at this point. But I am thinking about it and I do love the Subs.
    SaoDavi likes this.

How about a pop of color to add to your collection and also give you an alternate choice between the two boys? Perhaps the blue dialed Omega Speedmaster 57? Not too large at 41mm (considering you opted for the 36mm Explorer). Would make a terrific addition to your trio there and the price is in the same ballpark as well.
    Attached Images Attached Images

marcell and Camguy like this.

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread Information