I'm 25 and need help picking out a watch
Like Tree75Likes

Thread: I'm 25 and need help picking out a watch

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

I'm 25 and need help picking out a watch

Hey everyone,

New to the forum and I have been looking at watches forever can't decide on one. First, I know most people here know more about watches than I ever will so please do not take offense to anything I say. I'm looking for a watch that I can wear for causal and to work. I work as a Enterprise Application Administrator in accounting so my normal work attire is a banana republic button down and chinos, so not real dressy. More business casual. For casual I'm usually wearing jeans with vans, and a t shirt with a jacket or sometimes a casual button down.

I really do not want to come off as a naive douche, but I'm going to post a picture of myself to kinda show my casual style. Im 5 11, 140 lbs so I have a smaller wrist. I'm having a hard time deciding if I should get a leather band or metal band. I'm looking at a diesel or fossil and only want to spend $150 or so. I know those aren't the most prestigious watches but I feel they fit my style but then I don't know because I'm just at the age where I'm trying to get my style right. Im fighting with being young, but also white collar but yet want to be cool at the same time.

sorry if this doesn't make sense but I will post pics below of the watches I'm looking at. Please don't make fun, I'm just looking for help.

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 919
Size:  445.4 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 887
Size:  42.0 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 887
Size:  162.3 KB
    Last edited by Der2; January 26th, 2015 at 02:49.

Re: I'm 25 and need help picking out a watch

Between those two, I'd choose the first one with the blue dial. But I'm a 55 year old man, so perhaps you should choose the other if you don't want to wear an old man watch! :)

Seriously, pick the one that makes you happy. At this price range, they should all be around the same quality, and since they are heavily stylized, if it craps out in a few years, I doubt you'll mind. In fact, if you hang around here too much, you'll have 10 other watches by that time.

Welcome.

And wow, you gota loosen up a bit! You sound really self concious..

Anyway, the two watches seem a liitle on the casual side to me. But if you really like them, why not? If you really want to use the same watch for both casual and dressy, switching out the straps works miraculously.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Tighthands View Post
    Welcome.

And wow, you gota loosen up a bit! You sound really self concious..

Anyway, the two watches seem a liitle on the casual side to me. But if you really like them, why not? If you really want to use the same watch for both casual and dressy, switching out the straps works miraculously.
    Thanks for the advice sir!

Im actually pretty confident I just like to show respect to others so didn't want to offend watch gurus. :)

which fossil watches are you considering? diesel watches are normally extremely large in size, so they might not be a good fit for your small wrists.

Check out Orient. Great in house automatic. Very affordable. I recommend the Golden Eye Tan dial

Or the Bambino back dial

I wear similar to what you wear to work, sometimes a suit. I usually wear my orient duty

My Uhren von Uhr Flieger

Bulova Precisionist Langford

Or my incursore iii

Anything really works with that attire.

For 150 the orients and Bulova are in that range. Have fun and let the addiction begin!
    dcfis, chesthing, You and 1 others like this.

Just pick a watch and go with it. Your tastes will evolve no matter what, so you might not like the same watch ten years from now. Or maybe you'll still enjoy it, and you'll save money.
    joepac likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackson Filth View Post
    which fossil watches are you considering? diesel watches are normally extremely large in size, so they might not be a good fit for your small wrists.
    i know what you mean. Most of the diesel watches are 57mm which would look immensely big on my wrist. The two I posted are 46mm and 49mm which would be about the right size for my wrist I think but I'm open to suggestions.

I have been been looking at the Fossil Nates.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hi Der2, welcome!

You might find some similar threads on the forum - people asking "what's a good watch for XX price?" That might help, or it might totally confuse you.

Honestly I think your best bet is take a look around, see what watches you like and go from there. You can always ask the people here about a specific watch if you want to know more. The main thing is to find something you like, and that you feel suits your style.

Let us know how you go! I'd love to see what you pick. All the best, Mike

The watch brands you chose are very much fashion brands and likely won't hold up too well with time. For $150 you COULD get a nice automatic watch that will last you a long time. I would personally go with a Seiko 5 if I were you... People here who own $10,000 watches will see no shame in strapping on a seiko 5 for the workweek or whenever they see fit... I highly doubt you'll see many fossil or diesels in their watch boxes though. Not sure if that helps or if you care about that or not, but just from a watch type persons perspective it'll give you an idea of respect.

This particular seiko 5 is about $100

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread Information