I'm depressed

Thread: I'm depressed

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

I'm depressed

For some time I've been looking for a watch with proper blued hands and cream dial. I discovered Laco's Navy collection and fell in lust and placed one on order which is currently in transit. Looking at the website pics again, I had an odd feeling. So I e-mailed Laco - Does this watch have heat blued hands or hands painted to imitate it? Well I just had the reply and you can guess what it was.

Nothing at all against Laco, it was my own stupidity. I wrongly assumed with their history that they would use traditional methods, and their website banner advertises a model with 'thermic blued steelhands' which I assumed, again wrongly, was a feature of all of their watches with blue hands. In a few minutes I've gone from that exciting anticipation of an incoming to...well...I couldn't care less. A very odd feeling. I don't care how well painted they are, flame blued steel has its own particular quality. And I still don't bloody have one!

There's no point at all in this post except for me to selfishly offload my disappointment. There's no one else here except my dog and she really couldn't care less . Also, as a reminder to others - do your research, and any doubts or questions - ask before you buy!

Re: I'm depressed

I care buddy - I'm sorry to hear that. Switch them out for proper blued ones!

Quote Originally Posted by geoffbot View Post
    I care buddy - I'm sorry to hear that. Switch them out for proper blued ones!
    I actually just asked Laco if they had some proper ones I could buy separately. I don't like my chances, but you never know.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

^ Glenn,

Thanks for reminding all of us about the "golden rule" (I know, it may sound rather boring and become trite to some after awhile, but it's something which can't be said enough, I agree with you). Whilst I am very sorry to hear about your disappointment, I dunno: that watch, at least on the website, looks really nice to me as well, and seems to be very well-priced also (get a lot for your dollar, I think). Anyway, I can definitely understand you jumping on it.

Don't know about Laco's policies in this regard. Just write to Laco directly if you have any issues, as you know; can inquire also over on the Laco subforum here, too--there are many, many here who'd be very happy to help you with your problem, by taking it off your hands, no doubt :) But maybe wait for it to arrive and give it a chance, seeing what it looks like on your wrist and then see how you feel about it. You never know ... Just my 2cents, and hope this helps.

Cheers

EDIT: just see you've an inquiry into Laco--wonderful. If Laco has some on hand, problem solved. Might also inquire about sourcing some over on the Laco forum, too (fingers crossed for you!).
    Last edited by Sea-Wolf; December 16th, 2011 at 14:21.
    Breguet Rolex Tudor Breitling Longines IWC Mühle-Glashütte Tutima Hamilton TAG Heuer Cartier

OTHER: Vintage (Manual and Automatic), Modern (Automatic and Quartz).

v76

I feel for ya man, hope Laco can, and do switch it out to thermally blued hands. Else, source it from somewhere else or sell it?
    Collection:
    A few of this and some of the other ...

"I worked my way up from nothing to a state of extreme poverty" - Groucho Marx

Sorry to hear that. Laco did start using flamed blue hands on their latest Pilot/Flieger series of watches but at a significant jump in price compare to the previous models. To get the flamed blue hands are a traditional yet very time consuming process, you do get what you pay for for a Laco watch and perhaps they might be able to change out the hands for you.
    Fan of manual winds and German makes.

Wow, I'm surprised, I thought also after reading the Laco description that they were "true blue" hands... I read an article once on how the hands are broiled to turn them blue, I'll have to see if I can dig it up again.

Sodiac
    Too many watches, only two wrists and never enough time...

Banned

So take it to a decent watchmaker and have the paint stripped off then the hands blued. It ain't that hard.

v76

At one point in time (in ancient history!), purple/violet thermal tempering of steel was considered more desirable than the "blue" we often see today, because the thermal tolerances to achieve those are tighter*. I think a few independent watchmakers still do that for some hands, indices and screw heads - Dufour and Voutilainen most noticeably.

*Straw (at lower temperatures) and light blue (at higher temperatures) are the easiest to achieve (comparatively). Red - violet range have the toughest temper temperature tolerances.
    Last edited by v76; December 16th, 2011 at 20:12.
    Collection:
    A few of this and some of the other ...

"I worked my way up from nothing to a state of extreme poverty" - Groucho Marx

Quote Originally Posted by mebiuspower View Post
    Sorry to hear that. Laco did start using flamed blue hands on their latest Pilot/Flieger series of watches but at a significant jump in price compare to the previous models. To get the flamed blue hands are a traditional yet very time consuming process, you do get what you pay for for a Laco watch and perhaps they might be able to change out the hands for you.
    +1

Glenn, Mebiuspower is right (and that's great information, which I appreciate, too): And which you can read more about here, Glenn: https://forums.watchuseek.com/f367/ne...ls-612742.html

V among others have a really good point, too, so far as you may be able to find a watchmaker who can take care of it for you as well. Don't know any in the land down under, sorry, but I'm sure if you ask around the forum that someone can point you in the right direction. But let's stay positive and hope that Laco is able to source some for you. Fingers-crossed, as said.

Cheers.
    Breguet Rolex Tudor Breitling Longines IWC Mühle-Glashütte Tutima Hamilton TAG Heuer Cartier

OTHER: Vintage (Manual and Automatic), Modern (Automatic and Quartz).

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information