I'm done with local ADs
Like Tree162Likes

Thread: I'm done with local ADs

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

I'm done with local ADs

I'm looking into the IWC Aquatimer with either blue or black dial. Pulled up local ADs on IWC's website, only one around so I drove up last week.

Had a nice first showing of the blue dial Aquatimer on rubber strap, was then offered to bring in the black dial with stainless steel bracelet for comparison over night, was also told that the new Rolex SS Pepsi will be given away at a cocktail reception next Saturday, which is today. I told the lady that she doesn't have to overnight the second IWC, I'll just show up on the reception which was one week out, ground shipping would have been in time.

So I showed up. Today. Here the bottom line: the other IWC was not brought in, she came up with a weird excuse that doesn't line up one inch with what I was told the week before, and the managers changed their mind and retracted the Rolex giveaway - the highlight of the reception, and nobody called me either to let me know that the second IWC won't be available.

My alterative was a road trip over the weekend but I stayed in town for this reception and for buying one of the IWCs. I was really looking forward coming home today with one of them, but I wasted an entire weekend and about a 4 hour roundtrip. Heck I even thought about buying both.

Also, while being there I was totally ignored by another sales personal who saw me waiting for him, we had eye contact twice, I made clear that I had a question, but he kept doing small talk with a couple for ages and when done, rushed away in a hurry. I had to yell after him. He clearly didn't consider me a paying customer. I guess my cargo shorts gave that away. Problem is, I gave away all my suits, jackets and nice shirts when I retired at age 40. I'm sick and tired of dressing up, done that for a long time. T-shirt and shorts, every single day.

This was not the first local AD letdown, but I thought I need to support local brick & mortar businesses. I won't do that mistake again. From now on I will make my decision solely based on information, reviews and photos to be found online, and I will also order online only.

Saw so many pretentious people at this reception. All this schicki-micki nonsense talk and cheap ass show boating over freakin watches. Not my world.
    Last edited by McCarthy; May 13th, 2018 at 04:09.

Re: I'm done with local ADs

Your story cracks me up, as I too wear cargo shorts. Luckily my AD is not pretentious. It never ceases to amaze me when people try to judge a book by its cover.

I'm sorry that happened to you. As Scott has said, my AD knows how I dress and knows what I can afford. So most of the time they don't try to sell me what I want, they find a good substitute I can afford at the moment until I have enough to afford what I want.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

If you are a regular customer it wont matter what you are wearing but if you are an unknown entity, then cargo shorts and a t-shirt might not get you much respect from the sales staff as I am sure they think the place they work is fancy.

Being a good customer at a local AD certainly has its perks when you want hard-to-get pieces.

A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush......never Ever let one get away when the opportunity presents.

And ADs sometimes suck.

Quote Originally Posted by Rivarama View Post
    If you are a regular customer it wont matter what you are wearing but if you are an unknown entity, then cargo shorts and a t-shirt might not get you much respect from the sales staff as I am sure they think the place they work is fancy.

Being a good customer at a local AD certainly has its perks when you want hard-to-get pieces.

I don't know... I'm in South Florida... there's a ton of people walking around in shorts and jeans, with a net worth of $10M, $100M and more. By a lot. That one guy got me wrong, but she probably forgot to order the IWC and the major issue is, that they lured a bunch of people to this cocktail reception with that Rolex giveaway and just canceled that without any announcement. One sales person even laughed at me when I brought it up.

Highly unprofessional. Just stupid people.

While I'm at it: I was also looking into a Sub, but guess what... sold out. Tell me again why I should even see an AD if they don't keep standard watches around.

Never had that happen. Once I was in a high end AD and I told them point blank that I was just trying on watches while killing time and they still let me try on whatever I wanted.

I probably didn't smell too good either because I had just got off a plane after a 15-20 hour flight. :)
    Benzinger .. Dornblueth & Sohn .. Grand Seiko .. Sinn .. Laco .. Schaumburg .. Hamilton .. Tissot

Quote Originally Posted by eblackmo View Post
    Never had that happen. Once I was in a high end AD and I told them point blank that I was just trying on watches while killing time and they still let me try on whatever I wanted.

I probably didn't smell too good either because I had just got off a plane after a 15-20 hour flight. :)

Was that in the US?

Quote Originally Posted by McCarthy View Post
    Was that in the US?
    Nope.
    Benzinger .. Dornblueth & Sohn .. Grand Seiko .. Sinn .. Laco .. Schaumburg .. Hamilton .. Tissot

Quote Originally Posted by eblackmo View Post
    Nope.

Go figure. :)

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread Information