I'm interested in peoples experience with different watch movements.

Thread: I'm interested in peoples experience with different watch movements.

I'm interested in peoples experience with different watch movements.

If there hasn't already been a thread on this I would be interested in hearing your experiences both good and bad and accuracy/reliability and such of different watch movements. Something like:

such and such watch, 2824-2:
    owned for x years runs smooth and consistently, +5 sec/day etc.

such and such watch, Unitas 6497:
    owned for x years, easy/hard/smooth/rough to wind, -2 sec/day, runs faster/slower when hot, etc.

Something like that, can include any movement Swiss, Japanese, Chinese, Russian, etc. Automatic, hand-wind, or quartz. Whatever you like or don't like related to the movement used and how consistent/accurate it is. With enough info I could make a chart or graph of different movements, pros/cons and accuracy and reliability. Of course alot of this info is already available, I just thought we could bring alot of it together in one place for easy reference.
    Timex W-187 (T2C261) Automatic Power Reserve

Next Purchase...

Vostok Europe GAZ-14 2426-5603061

Holy Grails...
    1. Sinn UX SDR
    2. RGM Professional Diver
    3. Ocean7 LM-7 PVD
    4. Enzo Mechana EM001 "Sub hatch" on bracelet
    5. Jaeger-LeCoultre Reverso Gyrotourbillon 2

Re: I'm interested in peoples experience with different watch movements.

How would you factor unfinished movements vs finished movements. COSC certified and uncertified? The list will go on. Even if 2 of the same exact watches were compared they might have different results. I see this to be a huge hassle rather than an informative tool.
    -Jarrod

Quote Originally Posted by watch-man7777 View Post
    How would you factor unfinished movements vs finished movements. COSC certified and uncertified? The list will go on. Even if 2 of the same exact watches were compared they might have different results. I see this to be a huge hassle rather than an informative tool.
    We can still find trends, although info about more average type movements will be more informative than one ore two reports about extremely exclusive or special designed/finished movements. From what I understand, any movement can be COSC certified if it's accurate enough under the right conditions. I don't see that as being an issue. The age of a watch can be helpful in knowing manufacturing trends over time and how age effects the accuracy of the watch. I'm looking for overall tendencies of often used movements to see how they compare in several ways. I don't mind hearing about more expensive movements used in Rolex's or Omega's. It may be interesting to see how a particular movement is utilised in watches at a variety of price ranges to see, for example, if more expensive/finished versions are more accurate or reliable. Enough info could be used to write a guide based on user experience although I'm sure similar things have been written before for books and such. At the very least it could be used to write a faq for new people.

Next Purchase...

Holy Grails...
    1. Sinn UX SDR
    3. Ocean7 LM-7 PVD

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

vandice

The COSC certificate for chronometers is only awarded to movements which are chronometre grade and individually serialized. This guarantees the quality of the movement with the certification being an additional QC procedure of the entire manufacturing/adjustment process.

I guess the difficulty is knowing the particular grade and level of care taken in regulating the movement for a manufacturer so a fair comparison is mute across the board.

For the ETA movements currently, I will say the basic 289* series will wind smoother and keep better time than the 282*/283*. The 289* series is of course found in more expensive watches.

As for Rolex and Omega, they're mostly COSC certified so a discussion of performance is picking bones at best. The newer co-axials are reputed to keep a more stable rate over time.

For other in-house modified or true manufacture movements, you may be better served looking/asking at the Purist forum. They won't be too far from +-0 s/d, given their multiple zeros price tag.

My conception is to have at least enough info to make rough charts in order to see overall trends, for example; a 2d chart with the horizontal line equal to age of the watch and vertical line being accuracy +-30 sec or something like that dependent on the particular movement being measured where automtic would have a larger variance than quartz. A dot would mark the place on the chart corrosponding to the particular watch being reffered to or a line if there is some day-to-day variance of accuracy. Below that a list of the watches with notes to refer to any additional info like COSC certification or something like that. Obviously it can't be perfect because of human error and they aren't all being tested under exact conditions but it should give us a good range. I could probably do several different charts for different movements if I have sufficiant responses. I also see this as being more useful for mechanical watches than for quartz unless all the quartz watches are measured for accuracy on a month to month basis or something like that. I wonder if it would even be worth the bother to make charts for different quartz as I would presume the accuracy would likely be so similar for different quartz movements?

Next Purchase...

Holy Grails...
    1. Sinn UX SDR
    3. Ocean7 LM-7 PVD

Thread Information