Im new here, and need advice
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Im new here, and need advice

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

This is my first post, and I need some advice. I've only had fossil watches all my life, and a few months ago my girlfriend purchased me a automatic fossil grant, and I fell in love with it. I loved that a small portion of the watch was skeleton to see the components working yet the face was still elegant. This watch became the gateway for me, I started searching information about watches and found this forum. Now I'm starting to learn about movements, and reputable watchmakers. I now realize that fossil is a fashion watch, and not a true "watchmaker watch." Long story short, I want to purchase my first "real" watch and need some help. The one that has really caught my eye is a Bulova. How do you all feel about bulova? are they reputable, are they a "watchmakers watch" and how do they compare to say Sekio, Citizen or Tissot.

Here is the link to the Bulova that I am really digging:
    Amazon.com: Bulova Men's 96A118 BVA Series 120 Silver Tone Stainless Steel Watch: Clothing

Is amazon safe on selling genuine watches?

and also notice how the one in the first link is $279 and has the Bulova logo above the 12?

well..

This appears to be the same watch for $239 but it does NOT have the Bulova logo above the 12

Amazon.com: Bulova Men's 96A118 "BVA Series" Dual Aperture Dial Watch: Bulova: Clothing

This might sound crazy but I would purchase the more expensive one, just to get that logo, I really like it and would want it on the face. However I'm worried that even if i do purchase the $279 one that shows the logo in the picture, that they could still send me the other one. Could this happen?

I just need some all around advice, I want to love my purchase and keep this new found watch love going.

Thanks so much for reading and helping! It means a lot!

-Justin
    sumanbhadra and EsbenOpen like this.

Re: Im new here, and need advice

Quote Originally Posted by JustinB View Post

This might sound crazy but I would purchase the more expensive one, just to get that logo, I really like it and would want it on the face. However I'm worried that even if i do purchase the $279 one that shows the logo in the picture, that they could still send me the other one. Could this happen?

I just need some all around advice, I want to love my purchase and keep this new found watch love going.

Thanks so much for reading and helping! It means a lot!

-Justin
    It's not crazy. Welcome to the world of watches where stupid details matter.

Get the one you want and if there is an issue, send through a complaint stating that the watch isn't as described.

The he other thing is cross check the pics of the models to Bulova's site (I'm not an expert on the brand so can't tell you more than this)
    johnno1954 likes this.

IMHO buy with confidence from Amazon if they're the ones fulfilling the order. I bought my Omega PO from them, and I know many others have bought similarly expensive watches without issue. There's a few threads about buying from Amazon on this site.

If I may offer a bit of advice:
    Take your time and don't rush into your first purchase. Read/learn all you can about various manufacturers first, and you may find that what a particular company stands-for aligns with what you're looking for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by pronstar; July 24th, 2015 at 09:18.
    EsbenOpen likes this.
    Rolex Sea Dweller 116660 // Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean 600 M 45.5mm // Omega Seamaster 50th Anniversary GMT //
    Oris Titan Chrono 47mm // Oris TT1 Stainless Steel Diver // Perrelet Seacraft 777 // G-Shock GA100-1A1

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Hello and welcome to the club. IMO, Bulovas don't get enough recognition around here but I think they are good watches. I have a Marine Star and a Snorkel II. About the tuning fork logo... about a year or so ago Bulova began removing the logo from all dials that weren't a part of the Accutron II collection. It's still genuine, just a written logo. If you do buy the more expensive one, you should get the watch you see but I don't know if Amazon can guarantee this. Worst comes to worst, you can simply return it.

Honestly I'm not sure if there's that much difference between Fossil and Bulova in a horological sense. Both brands are what they are, relatively inexpensive watches mass produced from Asian components. Bulova doesn't really get that much love on here compared to other brands. I think their dressy watches are seen as nice looking and a perfectly decent budget choice but nothing really special or interesting, and the Precisionist range is viewed as an interesting technology but the design of the watches themselves is often a little overly bold and perhaps chunkily designed. The watch that you have linked to is very nice looking though and quite distinct. Most likely that slight difference between the two is that one is a slightly older version and the other is a redesign or a version for a different market (ie perhaps a European Vs US version or 2013 vs 2014 design) but it's nothing to worry about. Your chances of seeing a fake Bulova are pretty much non existent, even more so when buying through a legitimate company like Amazon.

Going back to the brand, Bulova has a longer company history than Fossil granted, but I'm not sure if that counts for much really, and true they have had some interesting innovations over that years but the watch that youd hold in your hand isn't that much different from a Fossil, I really wouldn't see it as any kind of 'step up' in quality or esteem. If you like the Bulova then by all means get that watch, but I'd certainly recommend looking at alternatives by Seiko and Orient at a similar price point, those are two brands that get a lot of esteem on here in the 'affordable' watch sector.
    Last edited by ShaggyDog; July 24th, 2015 at 09:30.

I actually found a seller on ebay offering the same watch for a lot cheaper... Seems its a store in south Florida, almost perfect feedback, Bulova Mens Automatic BVA Series Dual Aperture Dial Watch 96A118 | eBay. Does this seem promising too? and shaggydog, you said fake Bulova is a rarity anyways? If you guys think i should look elsewhere then Bulova then I am open to suggestions! I just really liked that particular design from Bulova.

I really like this from orient too,

http://www.amazon.com/Orient-CDB0500...PF539Q1STDTJ4J

Would you suggest this over the Bulova?
    Last edited by JustinB; July 24th, 2015 at 09:57.

I would take that Orient over the Bulova you posted any day, and I do like Bulova. That particular Orient is much better looking IMO. Also, the eBay listing you show is for a watch that is described as new without tags. I never completely understood this. If there are no tags I don't consider it new.
    The Orient has better WR as well.
    Last edited by CuriousBob; July 24th, 2015 at 10:05.

I still like that Orient but this may tickle your fancy. It's been on my list for a while now.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004T...I221NIKDZY7R1O

Bulova is owned by Citizen and they use Miyota movement their automatic watches. If you like semi open dial you can also check out Orient watches and Seiko SARY023

Quote Originally Posted by CuriousBob View Post
    I still like that Orient but this may tickle your fancy. It's been on my list for a while now.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004T...I221NIKDZY7R1O
    thats a beauty too. I'm not going to dive into a purchase yet but your getting the idea of what I'm looking for.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information