Imitation watch?
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Likestheshiny

Thread: Imitation watch?

Imitation watch?

Hey everyone. Brand new forum member. I have been fascinated by watches for years, but have too many hobbies to be a serious collector. I have lusted after watches like an older Omega Seamaster, but generally don't have cash for a purchase like that. I love the look of watches as well as their mechanical nature.

So I got the bug again, but decided to find a watch I like as well as can afford. I initially looked at some Citizens' and Seikos' for the affordability and accuracy of modern movements, (sacrilege, probably), but I can't overlook the fact that my 25+ year old quartz Seiko always runs, and is accurate. I didn't really see anything that tripped my trigger, and then discovered some Hamilton Khaki Field's that I really liked.

So I went looking on the 'Bay, and found several I liked and could afford. I decided on a quartz model for this purchase, and ordered one from prolific seller that I have seen others here mention as being ok.

So I placed my order, and only later realized it did NOT come with a factory warranty. After more online searching, I discovered a store that sells imitation watches, including the exact model and # that I just bought. The 4 pictures at the imitation store were THE EXACT SAME 4 PICS that were on the sellers 'bay ad.

I'm now fairly convinced I paid $500 for an imitation. I hesitate to mention the seller because several here mentioned purchasing from the same seller, and I don't wan't to ruin anyone else's day.

So I went to Hamilton's site and bought a watch directly from them.

Opinions?

Thanks

Tom

Re: Imitation watch?

By "imitation", do you mean knockoff?

You probably bought a real watch from a "grey market" seller -- great deals can be had that way, but you won't get a factory warranty. Do a forum search for "grey market" and you'll find endless discussion of the merits and disadvantages of buying from them. The eBay auction probably used Hamilton's own images for the watch. The replica site almost certainly used Hamilton's own images as well, because it's easier to sell a fake watch if you use pictures of a real watch.

So, yes, if you bought blindly without checking out the eBay seller before making your purchase, it's possible you bought a fake watch. If the seller seems to be reliable and has a good rating, however, then you probably bought a legitimate watch on the grey market and you're fine.
    teatimecrumpet and tsbphd like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Ok, is there a way to know?

Tom

So maybe I'm ok? But now I'll have two watches, one a Hamilton quartz Khaki, and one a Hamilton mechanical. If I am correct, one has the F07.111 movement, and the other has the 2824-2 movement.

Opinions on the two?

Tom

Yup grey market.

Ebay protects you though.

Best way is to confirm is open it up. I've ruined many a new watch to confirm authenticity when I first started...

Sent from my LGLS660 using Tapatalk

As a general rule I try to avoid buying on the bay. I have purchased watches from gray market dealers knowing full well that I was taking a chance not getting a factory warranty. The watches are genuine and usually have ended up with gray market sellers because authorized dealers needed to move them along from their inventories. There are guys here that can probably explain this better than I have. Bottom line, when you are thinking about a purchase do your due diligence in researching the dealers and their pricing. Good luck.
    Kevin

Some grey market sellers offer their own warrenty is opposed to manufacturers

Ok. I've done a little reading here, and it seems like the seller I was concerned about gets a good word here often. So I will say the name. Ralfords, which apparently is the same as Jomashop. So I can assume based on what I have read here that I will be receiving a genuine Hamilton? I am hoping so.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Awtoman View Post
    ..After more online searching, I discovered a store that sells imitation watches, including the exact model and # that I just bought. The 4 pictures at the imitation store were THE EXACT SAME 4 PICS that were on the sellers 'bay ad.
    The site selling fakes likely nicked the photos of a genuine watch to help sell their junk. Not surprising since many fakes are pretty ratty looking.

eBay offers you protection if you get a dodgy watch.

Thread Information