WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Import duty

681 views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  BrentYYC 
#1 ·
Can someone help me understand import duty?
Are there any differences between purchasing a watch from an AD and a private seller?
For instance, I am based in the UK. If I purchase a watch from a member of the forums, would I still need to pay import duty on the item?
And, can import duty be pre-paid to avoid the item being held at customs?
I know there are online calculators to estimate the price of import duty, but by and large, I have very little understanding of what import duty applies to, and what it does not.

#3 ·
:-sIf you buy within the EU you don't pay anything.......now. But if Brexit goes ahead it will get complicated. If you buy from USA you pay vat on a used watch. So if you want a German watch get it now to avoid import duty or wait until Brexit and you should be able to claim the vat back as EU export. Avoid dhl.o|

#4 ·
Why are you recommending against dhl?

#8 · (Edited)
When you purchase from a local AD, any applicable duty (if the watch was originally from outside the EU) will have already been paid and is factored into the selling price. If you import a new or used private sale watch yourself, you will owe the duty (and VAT) upon delivery. Either way, duty will have been collected.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.