Inc. magazine article on Kobold

Thread: Inc. magazine article on Kobold

Watchuseek Journalist Bhanu Chopra's Avatar

Inc. magazine article on Kobold

Just finished reading a lengthy and interesting article in Inc. magazine on Kobold watches and Michael Kobold.

http://www.inc.com/magazine/20070501...el-kobold.html

I'd like your comments on the last page of this article:

Quite recently, Gerd Lang had asked Kobold to meet him in Los Angeles for a chat. Lang had come into possession of what Kobold says is a 15-year supply of German movements from the 1960s. Kobold is giddy. He says that he can modify them as much as he needs to; each one will be disassembled, cleaned, polished, decorated, modified, and engraved, becoming, in essence, a Kobold movement--which is important not just for prestige but for the company's future. The world's largest maker of movements, ETA, has announced that it will soon produce only for brands owned by its parent company, Swatch.
    "You need a couple million to make your own movements," he says. "We just saved a couple million."

By 2008, the new Kobolds will begin to appear.
    "In the next five years, if predictions are right, several watch companies will go out of business because they can't get Swiss movements anymore. The fact that we have our own movements means that we're safe."

Cheers,

Bhanu

Re: Inc. magazine article on Kobold

Great article and his entry in the watch business would make a good lesson to anyone who wants to go into business for themselves. We all know that they way to wealth in the US is to create it for ourselves - something I never had the idea or the guts to do myself - but something I'm trying to teach my daugther. Reach out to the best - don't be afraid to ask for their insight - take risks - keep your costs manageable - grow rich, slowly.

I have no idea who James Gandolfini is either but it's a damn good stroke of luck - I like the ad also.

Edit - darn good thing I saved a copy of the ad - seems the original site doesn't like my linking to it.

In regards to ETA and their plans to stop selling their movements to anyone other than their own, simple supply and demand will take care of the void. Remember the old saying, "nature abhors a void." Someone will fill it - sooner or later.
    Last edited by k7lro; June 6th, 2007 at 20:18.
    Cheers,
    Gerry

Ball Hydrocarbon GMT I, Citizen Navihawk, Casio PAW1300-3V, IWC Aquatimer Chronograph, Rolex GMT-Master II, O&W ID3066, Seiko AGS Flightmaster, Baume & Mercier World Timer, Zenith Stratos Striking Tenth Felix Baumgartner

Thread Information