• 5 Post By dirkpitt73
  • 1 Post By Erikf1
  • 1 Post By Riddim Driven
  • 1 Post By helmuth
  • 1 Post By femto
  • 1 Post By DMCBanshee

Thread: Incoming: Bombfrog BT 25 Tritium Diver / Tactical Version 4

Incoming: Bombfrog BT 25 Tritium Diver / Tactical Version 4

I've been on the hunt for a tritium tube watch with arabic numerals for a couple of months. After looking at the usual suspects, namely Traser, Ball, Nite, Lum Tec, Luminox et al, I came upon an interesting little micro-brand from Germany called Bombfrog.

They only make (from what I can tell) one model with tritium and it's a diver. I was originally wanting something a little thinner, like a field style watch. I came very close to getting the Traser Officer Pro, but I couldn't get over the non-PVD crown on a PVD watch, just looked odd to me.

So I read some reviews of this series from Bombfrog and they were pretty positive. They used to sell in the US via a distributor, Brady Straps, but when I contacted them they said they no longer rep them. So Bombfrog has an online store and sure enough, they ship to the US. Unfortunately, the BT 25 I was looking for, with the Bombfrog logo on the dial, was out of stock.

I emailed them and got a quick reply back from the owner, Dirk (whose last name is Assmann, which cracks me up as a Seinfeld fan!) and he said they're working on a "version 4" of this watch. He said he'd email me when it's available and a few weeks later he did and I pulled the trigger!

That was 2+ weeks ago and despite them shipping quickly (ordered on Sat, shipped Mon) it took exactly 2 weeks to get to me from Germany. Here are the specs from their website with a little editing to clean up:

Material: stainless steel 316L

Color: black

Case: 51 mm

Bezel: unidirectional rotatable, 120 clicks with blue Swiss H3-Tritium-tube

Bezel: 44.5 mm

Glass: non reflective sapphire glass

Movement: automatic movement, Seiko NH35

Dial: Black, luminous index Gaseous tritium light source / Swiss mb microtec trigalight

Date Display: Yes

Bracelet: NATO- strap

Lug with: 22 mm

Water-Resistance: Up to 900 feets (30 ATM)

Weight: 130 grams

It's definitely chunky, but not as bad as I thought on my 7.5" wrist. I immediately ditched the cheapo Nato strap included and tried a Da Luca 2-piece Nato. It looked good, but I found the finishing on the wrist to be rough and uncomfortable, so it's going back. I had a Isofrane with a DLC buckle so that's what it's on now and I'm reasonably happy with it.

So on to the watch, initial impressions:

- it's big but fits well on my wrist with nicely curved lugs

- the dial is well executed and very legible; I was initially uncertain about the new sub-minute markers around the outside of the dial (which was not on version 3), but I don’t mind it

- the crown feels substantial and winds very smoothly, surprisingly so given the relatively cheap movement

- setting was fine, it hacks and the hands move very quikly per crown rotation

- the lume is fantastic (as it should be) with orange markers illuminating the 12 position and all hours and hands lumed in blue, very bright (MB Microtech)

- the bezel clicks nicely, no play and it has a flat, non-glossy finish

- the crown is thick and has a knurled, grippy surface, reminds me of a Promaster (it is not signed however)

- the PVD seems good so far, I had the usual spring pin issues and tried to be careful but had it pop out a few times on the underside lugs and no scratches

All in all, this is a solid, nice looking automatic diver / tactical watch with great tritium execution and a reliable, known quantity movement. .The company seems responsive and the price was right at about $400 USD shipped. .Now on to some pics!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
    Last edited by dirkpitt73; January 19th, 2016 at 17:05.

Re: Incoming: Bombfrog BT 25 Tritium Diver / Tactical Version 4

D'oh, I forgot the best part, lume shot!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Good watch for the zombie apocalypse! ( it's coming, trust me)

its a big boy, but it looks like it wears well on your wrist and I've always loved that bombfrog logo.

thanks for sharing the pics.
    dirkpitt73 likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Congrats! The watch looks really great! Thanks for posting on the DWF so I could pop over here for the pics. I'm a huge Seinfeld fan too, so the moniker you reference is indeed amusing.

Enjoy your cool new stealth tritium! Happy New Year!

RD
    dirkpitt73 likes this.
    "Yeah, it's basically a block of steel with a movement inside. Part of the charm." daschlag

Good choice!
    I´m a huge fan of the bombfrog watches. Version 4 is the best tritium watch on the market, so far. I compared them all.
    I would love to know whats written on his licensplate?

Helmuth
    dirkpitt73 likes this.

Yeah, it's a big boy, but I can also confirm that even on my small wrist (I normally have to use one of the last three holes of most straps) it doesn't look too clumsy.

BTW: Nice review!
    Last edited by femto; January 15th, 2016 at 16:09.
    dirkpitt73 likes this.

Congrats! It a nice watch, really love the "Tactical" looking.
    dirkpitt73 likes this.
    Boschett Harpoon, CD II | Raven Vintage 42mm | Artego 500m | Poljot , Sub, Titan, Aviator | Rolex Submariner | Borealis ScoutSniper, Seafarer II, Sea Storm | Seiko 6309-7040 Camo, Padi, Mod SKX399, 007 Camo, SKX781, SKX011J, 6309-7049, 007 Arctic Camo | Vostok Tank | Armida A8 | Orient Planet, Pilot | MWC 300m | Orsa Monstrum | Citizen 2100 Ti | Stowa Seatime, T2 Sport | Helberg CH8, Bronze CH6 | Enem Skindiver | AndoWatch Chronograph | Aevig Huldra | MWI Military | Marathon SAR, USMC, MSAR | Steinhart OVM | Tisell Submersible | Davosa Argonautic | Benarus Moray Bronze | And some others...

Thread Information