Increased deviation throughout the day
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Increased deviation throughout the day

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Increased deviation throughout the day

Hi all, I posted this on the watchmaking thread but didn't get much response.. I'm just wondering if it is normal for a mechanical watch to have an increased deviation as time passes by or should it be a steady deviation for example, consistent loss of 10 seconds per day?

The reason I asked is my watch has an increased deviation throughout the day (see attached pics) or should I pay attention in the average of the deviations?

I want to know if there is a problem with my watch

Thanks in advance

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Re: Increased deviation throughout the day

You could give us a little more information. It is truly a hand wind manual watch and not an automatic? Do you wind the watch at a consistent time of day. Say, first thing in the morning? Do you top off the winding during the day? Knowing the movement calibre would be usefull, too.

It is normal for the rate and beat error to change a little as the mainspring winds down. A large deviation might indicate a need for a servicing. To get a more accurate assessment you'll need to have it checked on a timing machine. Ideally, get it checked for rate, beat error and amplitude in five positions at full wind of the mainspring, then again in the same five positions after running for 24 hours. The WatchCheck app is interesting but no substitute for a timing machine.

Quote Originally Posted by marv524 View Post
    Hi all, I posted this on the watchmaking thread but didn't get much response.. I'm just wondering if it is normal for a mechanical watch to have an increased deviation as time passes by or should it be a steady deviation for example, consistent loss of 10 seconds per day?

The reason I asked is my watch has an increased deviation throughout the day (see attached pics) or should I pay attention in the average of the deviations?

I want to know if there is a problem with my watch

Thanks in advance

Get rid of your WatchCheck, it will drive you crazy.
    "Some day I'm going to buy a real wristwatch"

"When I only had one watch I always knew what time it was, but now I'm no longer sure"

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Most if not all of my mechanical watches run at a different rate when worn vs sitting in the box, and run at different rates depending on resting position when off the wrist. I worry more about overall accuracy (seconds per week) than hour-by-hour. Worry if you start seeing huge weekly variations (e.g. used to consistently gain about a minute per week, suddenly losing 4 or 5 minutes per week).
    Powered by 1.21 Gigawatts

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Mac View Post
    You could give us a little more information. It is truly a hand wind manual watch and not an automatic? Do you wind the watch at a consistent time of day. Say, first thing in the morning? Do you top off the winding during the day? Knowing the movement calibre would be usefull, too.

It is normal for the rate and beat error to change a little as the mainspring winds down. A large deviation might indicate a need for a servicing. To get a more accurate assessment you'll need to have it checked on a timing machine. Ideally, get it checked for rate, beat error and amplitude in five positions at full wind of the mainspring, then again in the same five positions after running for 24 hours. The WatchCheck app is interesting but no substitute for a timing machine.
    Sorry for not being specific.. It's an automatic 6R15D to be specific

Hate to say this, but Seiko 6R movements are not known for having stellar accuracy nor positional isochronism. How old is the watch? It might need servicing. Low power reserve would cause your watch to speed up over time, not slow down.

Temperature, position, and how wound up is it will all change the deviation. My Seiko is +1 seconds a day but only if it spends equal times at every position. Like MissleExpert noted, I can get deviations from +/1 10 seconds on my 6R Seiko depending on what position I leave it and how wound up it is.

Yup, the only "issue" here is that it's a Seiko from the 7s family and operating normally. Isochronism and positional variance are mediocre on these. Worry more about combined average accuracy, on and off wrist, over larger periods of time (a full day at the shortest increment). Sudden, drastic changes in accuracy averaged over longer periods (multiple days) or steep declines in power reserve would raise a flag.

FWIW, I've had Swiss movements that also run a fair bit faster on vs off wrist (like +5 spd resting overnight to +15 while worn during the day). I've stopped doing accuracy checks multiple times per day because you'll drive yourself nuts. If you want to check daily accuracy, check it once per day, same time every day.
    Catatafish likes this.