Inexpensive watches displacing the pricier ones
Like Tree112Likes

Thread: Inexpensive watches displacing the pricier ones

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Inexpensive watches displacing the pricier ones

A few years ago, I got myself a Nomos Club. It was my dream watch. Wonderful and all that.
    Name:  701-6e.jpg
Views: 80
Size:  256.6 KB

The inevitable itch struck a few years later when I was presented the opportunity to buy a mint condition Stowa TO2.
    Name:  image26.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  130.8 KB
    for almost two years, I wore the Stowa 90% of the time.

A month ago, I went on vacation. Saw the lovely quartz Baby Tuna watches at Haneda Airport, Tokyo. I was smitten.
    Ended up buying one a week later.
    Name:  SNE498.jpeg
Views: 78
Size:  38.5 KB
    I've been wearing it practically nonstop for the past month.
    It's gorgeous and so much more interesting than my two far pricier watches.

Yesterday, during a photoshoot, a gorgeous blonde (one of the staff at a corporate headshot session) complimented watch. Sadly, the assistant cut that off so that I did not go off track in the middle of work. DARN! Just as well, I would have been completely sidetracked.

Ok but so far, my Seiko Solar Tuna has gotten more compliments in the past month than the Stowa and Nomos have in the past few years.
    ack?!?

Is this the dream? Being able to be happy with a less expensive watch and not having to keep spending more and more to get that dream watch?
    My SNE498 is my least expensive watch in the "collection" but my current favourite. What does this mean for the future of my WIS status.

(Images from the Internet as I am on my laptop computer that does not have all my lovely photos of my watches.)
    Simon, Ragl, ffritz and 3 others like this.
    “If we could be satisfied with anything, we should have been satisfied long ago.”
    ― Seneca

Re: Inexpensive watches displacing the pricier ones

I feel you there...I've spanned the gamut from Timex to Rolex. And while I loved the higher end (for me) pieces I've owned (Rolex OP36, Aqua Terra, Speedmaster) I've flipped them all and gone back down quite a bit. My two favorites now are a $270 Dan Henry 1970 and a quartz Certina 3 hander. The heart wants what the heart wants!

...also I enjoy the far cheaper service costs.

The less money you can spend chasing your dreams, the happier you'll be! I can go either way I suppose. I have expensive and cheap watches and enjoy them all equally. Although, my $400 vintage Vulcain gets more second glances than my $2000 Breitling. I'm sure it's because it looks more expensive, even though the opposite is true.
    imaCoolRobot and parman like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I hear ya - my $300 Pepsi Turtle gives as much pleasure as some $10k watches Ive owned
    As for the super solar tuna - awesome - but I think were you to find a decent vintage or the 2018 reissue Golden Tuna
    you would see why this is 6x the price and justified.
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose" Jim Elliot - Missionary, Martyr

In 2014 I bought this:

I had difficulty reading the chronograph elapsed time without glasses.

In 2016 I bought this for about 1/6th the value of the first:

Centrally mounted chronograph minute totalizer makes it a breeze to read elapsed time at a glance.

I sold the first one, still have the second one.

As comments from non-watch nerds go, the only one I still have that gets noticed is one I scarcely wear, and it is worth about 1/10th the second watch (but should be worth much more-shh!):

You'll love that new one until you see something else you want more, just like the others.

Do you like the Seiko more just because you get comments on it, or because you actually like it more?

I'm shopping for my first Rolex, but I may have a hard time taking this off my wrist.... Less than $100 invested, including the strap.... and my $135 Titanium Bertucci arrives today...

Name:  1ac20190709-192701-2.jpg
Views: 66
Size:  88.7 KB
    Munchie and Ron_Trousers like this.
    Sucker for a square Seiko 5....

Quote Originally Posted by imaCoolRobot View Post

Ok but so far, my Seiko Solar Tuna has gotten more compliments in the past month than the Stowa and Nomos have in the past few years.
    ack?!?
    Or, it could simply be the fact that both the Nomos and the Stowa were both kind of "meh"...

brother of OoO
    Earthjade and tropis like this.

The ever widening 'wealth and income gap' plays a major role.

Quote Originally Posted by imaCoolRobot View Post
    Is this the dream? Being able to be happy with a less expensive watch and not having to keep spending more and more to get that dream watch?
    My SNE498 is my least expensive watch in the "collection" but my current favourite. What does this mean for the future of my WIS status.
    I think it is the dream of many WUS to find that one watch that ultimately scratches your itch forever more, regardless of price.

I also think that I'm reading a curious number of statements lately that appear to present being satisfied with affordables as some kind of personal virtue, with the implication that anyone who isn't satisfied with affordables is a flawed person. To which I would say, the pleasure one derives from a watch should be a matter between the individual and the watch; how other people approach this common passion of ours should be irrelevant.

Regards,
    Alysandir
    • Blancpain Bathyscaphe Chronographe 5200.1110.70B
    • Bremont Boeing Model 247 Ti-GMT
    • Casio G-Shock GW2310FB-1CR
    • Casio G-Shock Frogman GWFD1000B-1
    • Grand Seiko Snowflake Gen1 SBGA011
    • Omega Globemaster 130.33.39.21.03.001
    • Omega Grey Side of the Moon 311.93.44.51.99.001
    • Oris Aquis "Source of Life" LE 01 733 7730 4125
    • Oris Aquis "Staghorn Restoration" LE 01.735.7734.4185
    • Rolex Daytona 116523-WSO/78593