Ingersoll : crap or underrated?
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Ingersoll : crap or underrated?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Ingersoll : crap or underrated?

I recently bought a Zodiac MKX-04 chronograph limited edition aviator watch and the guy i bought it from also gave me an Ingersoll. Ive never heard of the brand before and can't really find much out about it but its a beautiful dress watch in my opinion. What do yall think or for that matter, know about the brand? Same question applies for the Zodiac since all i ever see are Seawolfs and vintage ones but i really like mine and think i got a hell of a deal.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Ingersoll : crap or underrated?

Well, tbh, I like it better than the zodiac
    Toothbras likes this.

I think they're for different occasions personally. For a formal event, traditionally i would feel inclined to wear the Ingersoll but the Zodiac is more of my casual/daily wear

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Ingersoll is definitely crap. "German design," Chinese movements, disposable. Hard to argue if the seller tossed it in for free, but it's definitely not worth any actual money. A Bambino is a MUCH better watch.
    Uhrentraeger likes this.

Crap may be a bit harsh. I think they are overpriced not crap, if this was smaller and $100 I would buy it.
    Ingersoll where famous for their cheap everyman watches and where the most well known watch in the world, they made more than forty million of their "dollar watches"
    They went bankrupt in 1922 and then became Ingersoll-Waterbury and later on a part of the same company as timex.
    Ingersoll-Waterbury made the first mickey mouse watch in 1933 and sold more than five million in just the first fifteen years of production.
    The new Ingersoll company has nothing to do with the old company, just another case of resurrecting a defunct brand name.

Name:  i00802.jpg
Views: 275
Size:  190.5 KB

Name:  i00802_profile_crown.jpg
Views: 270
Size:  178.4 KB
    Last edited by dinomartino1; May 16th, 2018 at 06:58.
    rfortson, dbostedo and ffritz like this.

So the short version of both resurrected brands:

Ingersoll used to be an highly respect brand of American pocketwatches that didn't make the transition to wristwatches. The name was reborn as a manufacturer of mostly character watches post WW2, and was well respected for stuff like classic Mickey Mouse watches. The brand then died down as the manufacturing of character watches went quartz and were done cheaply in Asia. The current iteration is Chinese owned, but only uses select Chinese movements for specific features like the "fake tourbillon" open heart but mostly they're Japanese movements as in your watch. The German Design thing comes out of complete left field for no reason. Are they garbage? I'd honestly say not necessarily, but they are usually massively overpriced in the new market. That model is quartz, and when Amazon stopped stocking it last year it was going for $133. For that much $$$ I'd probably also rather have a Bambino, but that's not unreasonable. Other models are priced very high for what you get, but the used market seems to shake out some of that nonsense pricing.

Zodiac as a brand failed to make it through the quartz crisis as a healthy brand, so the Fossil Group bought them. At first-- like the one you just bought-- they used that division to make higher quality, higher priced "tacticool" watches to compete in the youth market directly against brands like Nixon and Technomarine. They were all Swiss Made quartz and reported to be good in quality. Fossil wanted to go upscale, they've built their own Swiss movement factory etc. but the market wasn't interested in paying Swiss prices for a Fossil branded watch. They then transitioned Zodiac back to a brand that celebrates its heritage and makes mostly automatic and vintage-inspired watches. The new ones won't look much like the Zodiac you just bought.
    MediumRB, rfortson and ffritz like this.
    Choose a job you love, and you'll never work a day in your life because that field isn't hiring.

Mod. Russian, China Mech. Chascomm's Avatar

Actually, this Ingersoll brand is descended from the British-owned branch of Ingersoll that separated from the US branch back in 1912 or thereabouts. The brand is currently managed from the UK. The brand owner, Zeon, is a British subsidiary of a Chinese company. I have not been able to track down whether the brand has remained in continuous use or whether it lapsed prior to the current ownership, although I have seen Ingersoll branded clocks that I believe were made in the 1990s. Zeon have some German brand partners so it is entirely feasible that they hired a German design studio to style their watches, but I can't see how it adds any value to state it on the dial. The watches are of course entirely Chinese made. They tend to be rather highly priced for what they are; ordinary, decent quality watches.
    ffritz likes this.
    Chascomm
    Moderator, Russian Watches & Chinese Mechanical Watches Forums
    (no, I am not going to list all my watches here)

I rather liked this model Ingersoll, quadruple date, with PR, I picked up! No problems and still runs great after a few years (in admittedly, a large rotation)

Bad mouth 'em all you want... I think I gave 100 bucks for it (enlarge that dial detail)!
    ffritz and Colombia like this.
    "Time isn't the main thing. It is the only thing!" - Miles Davis

I have found that some people just like to hear themselves typing.

Friends don't let friends buy G-Schlocks.

You think I'm condescending...?? Do you even know what that means... ??

Every time God closes one door... I open a bottle of bourbon.

¹ I have learned that you have to put a smiley face or LOL behind anything just so people don't take you too seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by I Like em BIG ! ! View Post
    I rather liked this model Ingersoll, quadruple date, with PR, I picked up! No problems and still runs great after a few years (in admittedly, a large rotation)

Bad mouth 'em all you want... I think I gave 100 bucks for it (enlarge that dial detail)!
    The only thing worse than subdials chewing up the Arabic numerals is the subdials chewing up the Roman nvmerals! I'm surprised IWC hasn't copied this infraction yet. ;)
    Tick-tock in RoK GMT+9, no DST
    --
    Not Seiko: Parmigiania Tonda 1950, Zenith El Primero Chronomaster, Piaget Upstream, Muhle Glashutte Seebataillon GMT, Eterna Madison Spherodrive, Vulcain Cricket 1951 Classic, Bell & Ross Space 3 GMT, Bulova Accutron Astronaut (c. 1966), Omega Speedmaster triple date, Sinn 556 Anniversary LE, IWC Cal. 89 (c. 1957), Glycine Airman SST-12, Pulsar Date II (c. 1971), Scurfa Diver One, G-Shock Rangeman 9400, Vostok Classica
    Seiko: Grand Seiko SBGT035, Credor Node GCAT996, Grand Seiko 5641-7000 (1972), "Ashtray Tuna" 7C46-6009 (1987), 6139-7069 "Blue Eye" chrono (1974), 5740-8000 Lord Marvel 36'000 (1974), Bell-Matic 4006-7012 (1971), King Quartz 9223-5000 (1981), Seikomatic J13044 (1963), 6119-6400 UFO (1974), King Quartz 5855-5000 (1977), Silverwave 8221-5020 (1980), Majesta 9063-5020 (1984), SKX399K "Philippines"

dbl post.
    Last edited by MediumRB; May 16th, 2018 at 10:34. Reason: dbl post!?!?
    Tick-tock in RoK GMT+9, no DST
    --
    Not Seiko: Parmigiania Tonda 1950, Zenith El Primero Chronomaster, Piaget Upstream, Muhle Glashutte Seebataillon GMT, Eterna Madison Spherodrive, Vulcain Cricket 1951 Classic, Bell & Ross Space 3 GMT, Bulova Accutron Astronaut (c. 1966), Omega Speedmaster triple date, Sinn 556 Anniversary LE, IWC Cal. 89 (c. 1957), Glycine Airman SST-12, Pulsar Date II (c. 1971), Scurfa Diver One, G-Shock Rangeman 9400, Vostok Classica
    Seiko: Grand Seiko SBGT035, Credor Node GCAT996, Grand Seiko 5641-7000 (1972), "Ashtray Tuna" 7C46-6009 (1987), 6139-7069 "Blue Eye" chrono (1974), 5740-8000 Lord Marvel 36'000 (1974), Bell-Matic 4006-7012 (1971), King Quartz 9223-5000 (1981), Seikomatic J13044 (1963), 6119-6400 UFO (1974), King Quartz 5855-5000 (1977), Silverwave 8221-5020 (1980), Majesta 9063-5020 (1984), SKX399K "Philippines"

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information