Inquiries About Birk's Canada and my new Longines L2.693.4.78.5
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Inquiries About Birk's Canada and my new Longines L2.693.4.78.5

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Hi all,

This is my first post on this forum. My mother was kind enough to buy me a new watch for my birthday. Specifically a Longines Master Collection watch L2.693.54.78.5 which I believe to be pretty much the exact same watch show in the link below.

Official Longines website - Longines Swiss Watchmakers since 1832

I know she overpaid. She paid approximately $3100 ($3500 tax in) in Ottawa, Canada. I have the following questions:

1. Can I go to a Birks (in Toronto, Canada) and renegotiate the price down. I have a scanned copy of the receipt but obviously do not have the credit card she paid for. It would make sense to exchange and perhaps go for an even higher model and negotiate that. Pay the difference if necessary.
    2. The standard discount offered by an AD such as Birks. I have heard 20% is standard but that Birks can be more stringent. Should I start off with 30% offer?
    3. She didn't collect aeroplan miles on the purchase but I see on the receipt it offers a 1:1 dollar to mile collection. Can I give them my scanned receipt and collect miles without the credit card of purchase.
    4. Should I just ask her to return it and go with another AD? I'm still well within the 30 days return policy
    5. The smallest setting on the watch is slightly too big for me. Options?
    6. General thoughts on the watch itself

General issue, I am living in Toronto and she purchased the watch and lives in Ottawa. I will likely go back for Easter Long weekend though which should still be in the return window but I'm hoping to address all my concerns this weekend!

Please let me know your thoughts!

Thanks
    Last edited by ahbitheman; March 23rd, 2013 at 15:34.

Re: Inquiries About Birk's Canada and my new Longines L2.693.4.78.5

Quote Originally Posted by ahbitheman View Post
    Hi all,

This is my first post on this forum. My mother was kind enough to buy me a new watch for my birthday. Specifically a Longines Master Collection watch L2.693.54.78.5 which I believe to be pretty much the exact same watch show in the link below.

Official Longines website - Longines Swiss Watchmakers since 1832

I know she overpaid. She paid approximately $3100 ($3500 tax in) in Ottawa, Canada. I have the following questions:

1. Can I go to a Birks (in Toronto, Canada) and renegotiate the price down. I have a scanned copy of the receipt but obviously do not have the credit card she paid for. It would make sense to exchange and perhaps go for an even higher model and negotiate that. Pay the difference if necessary.
    2. The standard discount offered by an AD such as Birks. I have heard 20% is standard but that Birks can be more stringent. Should I start off with 30% offer?
    3. She didn't collect aeroplan miles on the purchase but I see on the receipt it offers a 1:1 dollar to mile collection. Can I give them my scanned receipt and collect miles without the credit card of purchase.
    4. Should I just ask her to return it and go with another AD? I'm still well within the 30 days return policy
    5. The smallest setting on the watch is slightly too big for me. Options?
    6. General thoughts on the watch itself

General issue, I am living in Toronto and she purchased the watch and lives in Ottawa. I will likely go back for Easter Long weekend though which should still be in the return window but I'm hoping to address all my concerns this weekend!

Please let me know your thoughts!

Thanks
    No, i do not think its acceptable to go back now and try and get a better price. The watch has already been purchased, why would he offer you a discount now since its been purchased already... As far as the air miles are concerned then yes i would go back and get those, i dont know if you need a credit card, perhaps asking them would be the best option!

As for the return thing, well if you think your mom has been ripped off and you want her to get a better deal then return the watch and go to another AD or buy it online. Thats a much better idea imo than trying to get a discount after purchasing. When you do go and order it from the new AD, get them to order you one with a shorter strap length as i guess you either have very small wrists or this is an XL strap.

Finally, the watch itself is a very nice piece imo. I do like the longines master collection but i agree that you overpaid, they are available for less than 2k USD online. I wouldnt accept less than a 20% discount from an AD.

Cave Quid Optes

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Haha this is why I numbered my questions. Also, when ppl say it's standard to get 20% off retail at an AD, does this generally entail after tax or before tax? e.g. $1000 watch with 20% off being standard means you pay $800 total or $904 ($1000*80% + 13% tax). I'm guessing its the $904

Quote Originally Posted by Uber View Post

Quote Originally Posted by kylemacca01 View Post
    No, i do not think its acceptable to go back now and try and get a better price. The watch has already been purchased, why would he offer you a discount now since its been purchased already... As far as the air miles are concerned then yes i would go back and get those, i dont know if you need a credit card, perhaps asking them would be the best option!

As for the return thing, well if you think your mom has been ripped off and you want her to get a better deal then return the watch and go to another AD or buy it online. Thats a much better idea imo than trying to get a discount after purchasing. When you do go and order it from the new AD, get them to order you one with a shorter strap length as i guess you either have very small wrists or this is an XL strap.

Finally, the watch itself is a very nice piece imo. I do like the longines master collection but i agree that you overpaid, they are available for less than 2k USD online. I wouldnt accept less than a 20% discount from an AD.
    I think option 1 still makes sense as I can return the watch regardless. I'll just have to wait an extra week when I'm back in Ottawa. The only scenario it could work on is if I negotiate down a higher end watch and exchange my existing watch as credit.

But I agree, 4 is a better option. That being said, I'm assuming there are better places to buy watches in Toronto than in Ottawa. So perhaps I'll just buy a watch here in the same price range and return the gift when I'm back in Ottawa.

Can anyone recommend me better AD Longine dealers in the GTA?

Thanks again guys!

Birks doesn't do discounts unless it is a special promotion

If you like the watch, you can always get a shorter strap. Or you could make another hole in the strap to suit your wrist. If you like the watch and it is available for substantially less elsewhere, return the watch for a refund, and buy it somewhere else. I would be surprised if you met with success trying to renegotiate the selling price after the fact. If you're not happy with the price, return it.

A thought: I just bought a Longines Master Complications at Abt, in the Chicago area (abt.com). They have a watch division and are giving up the Longines line. They are ADs and I think they still had a couple chronos there, at 40% off. If you call them (talk to Brad), perhaps they have what you want and can ship it to you. You'll have some additional expenses, including 13% HST when you get it, and shipping, but no local sales tax, and you'd save a bundle.
    Over a half century of "just the right amount of odd."

Calgary, Canada via Marin County, California

If it isn't exactly what you want, or the discount you would like to see, having her return it for full refund is the only real option. Then you can do what you need to do to source something else for her to 'gift' you with.

Interesting thought. I doubt abt.com can ship to Canada or will even process Canadian credit cards. I'm not looking for the absolute lowest price. I just felt like my mom spend way too much at Birks and even though its a gift, I hate seeing bad deals happen.

Quote Originally Posted by dbakiva View Post
    If you like the watch, you can always get a shorter strap. Or you could make another hole in the strap to suit your wrist. If you like the watch and it is available for substantially less elsewhere, return the watch for a refund, and buy it somewhere else. I would be surprised if you met with success trying to renegotiate the selling price after the fact. If you're not happy with the price, return it.

A thought: I just bought a Longines Master Complications at Abt, in the Chicago area (abt.com). They have a watch division and are giving up the Longines line. They are ADs and I think they still had a couple chronos there, at 40% off. If you call them (talk to Brad), perhaps they have what you want and can ship it to you. You'll have some additional expenses, including 13% HST when you get it, and shipping, but no local sales tax, and you'd save a bundle.

I would get her to return it and then go shopping with her at another AD. That way you still say that you appreciate the gift and she will appreciate the shopping experience with you. Instead of just saying return it and i'll buy it online myself. That kinda hurtful for a mother since it's a birthday present and all.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information