This is my first post on this forum. My mother was kind enough to buy me a new watch for my birthday. Specifically a Longines Master Collection watch L2.622.214.171.124 which I believe to be pretty much the exact same watch show in the link below.
Official Longines website - Longines Swiss Watchmakers since 1832
I know she overpaid. She paid approximately $3100 ($3500 tax in) in Ottawa, Canada. I have the following questions:
1. Can I go to a Birks (in Toronto, Canada) and renegotiate the price down. I have a scanned copy of the receipt but obviously do not have the credit card she paid for. It would make sense to exchange and perhaps go for an even higher model and negotiate that. Pay the difference if necessary.
2. The standard discount offered by an AD such as Birks. I have heard 20% is standard but that Birks can be more stringent. Should I start off with 30% offer?
3. She didn't collect aeroplan miles on the purchase but I see on the receipt it offers a 1:1 dollar to mile collection. Can I give them my scanned receipt and collect miles without the credit card of purchase.
4. Should I just ask her to return it and go with another AD? I'm still well within the 30 days return policy
5. The smallest setting on the watch is slightly too big for me. Options?
6. General thoughts on the watch itself
General issue, I am living in Toronto and she purchased the watch and lives in Ottawa. I will likely go back for Easter Long weekend though which should still be in the return window but I'm hoping to address all my concerns this weekend!
Please let me know your thoughts!