Interesting exercise
Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By tempocalypse

Thread: Interesting exercise

Interesting exercise

So I just came across this article on Ablogtowatch and I don't think its been posted here. Its an article about watch hands design illustrated with just the hands belonging to several well known watch models. I recognised 11 out of the 17 posted (didn't get 1,8,10,12,14 and 17; really ought to have gotten 12.)

Answers at bottom of the article. How did you guys do? (I suspect many would get 100%).

How The Most Popular Watches Can Be Recognized By Just Their Hands | aBlogtoWatch
    Last edited by tempocalypse; July 6th, 2014 at 23:26.
    David8b, geoffbot and kak1154 like this.
    Glashütte Original Panograph • Breguet Marine Rolex Daytona 116520 Rolex Submariner 5513 NOMOS Zürich Weltzeit Omega Speedmaster '57 Broad Arrow re-edition Tudor Heritage Chrono Blue Lemania Chronograph (c. 1940s) Breitling Navitimer • Azimuth Mr. Roboto • Sinn 356 Fleiger II • Tag Heuer Aquaracer Chrono Baume & Mercier Capeland Chrono • Casio G-Shock DW5600

Re: Interesting exercise

I got 'em all except 1, 13 and 14, and I thought both 12 and 16 were from a royal oak.

Based in South east asia, travelling between

Interesting exercise

got em all except 14. Wonder what that is.

12 is patek nautilus. 16 Royal oak.

1- Alain silberstein
    13 - Urwerk
    W.A.S. Watch Acquisition Syndrome Patient.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

here's the pic
    Name:  funfunfun.png
Views: 115
Size:  115.4 KB

i didn't get the Zenith, IWC and swatch..
    hmm..

Based in South east asia, travelling between

Ah I see 14 is swatch.
    W.A.S. Watch Acquisition Syndrome Patient.

Fun - thanks. I got em all except 12,14,16. The brand, that is, not the model in all cases.

I guess the Breguet hands are the most iconic here. I mean they are even part of the company logo now. Followed by the Sub mercedes hands I would think.

Thinking of iconic hands missing from this article my thoughts turned to Tudor snowflake hands as seen on Vintage tudor subs and today's Black Bay and Pelagos, and of course the Speedmaster Pro handset.
    Last edited by tempocalypse; July 7th, 2014 at 11:49.
    Glashütte Original Panograph • Breguet Marine Rolex Daytona 116520 Rolex Submariner 5513 NOMOS Zürich Weltzeit Omega Speedmaster '57 Broad Arrow re-edition Tudor Heritage Chrono Blue Lemania Chronograph (c. 1940s) Breitling Navitimer • Azimuth Mr. Roboto • Sinn 356 Fleiger II • Tag Heuer Aquaracer Chrono Baume & Mercier Capeland Chrono • Casio G-Shock DW5600

Interesting article (and I posted this over on the affordables forum) - I'd be interesting to see if a slightly different demographic (Affordables, Public, Dive, Omega, Rolex, etc.) would score higher for some and not get others.
    Brad (@bradwatch)
    - appreciating fine affordable watches since 2011

Fun and interesting, it just shows how important the hands are. The hands can make a watch iconic. I got 15/17, I thought no.12 was AP Royal Oak 15300 and had no idea about no.14 as I thought it was too generic, I've seen many vintage Seikos' hands similar with no.14.

Quote Originally Posted by watchgeekwatchnut View Post
    Fun and interesting, it just shows how important the hands are. The hands can make a watch iconic. I got 15/17, I thought no.12 was AP Royal Oak 15300 and had no idea about no.14 as I thought it was too generic, I've seen many vintage Seikos' hands similar with no.14.
    The author makes an interesting point too that in his opinion, starting watch design with the hands before moving onto the dial may help in avoiding common pitfalls of watch design especially with regard to legibility etc.

Whilst that may be debatable, the point about how watch hands help establish an almost subconscious but impactful brand and design identity is very true I think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Information