Interesting experience at a jewellery shop
Like Tree70Likes

Thread: Interesting experience at a jewellery shop

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Interesting experience at a jewellery shop

I just got home after browsing through the watches at Wallace Bishop, an Australian jeweller who have quite a large range of mid tier watches, including TAG Heuer, Raymond Weil, the better Seiko ranges, Tissot, Oris, and Longines. One staff member who was in watches implied I couldn't afford their Seiko Premier Perpetual Calendar, despite the fact I was in the shop wearing a watch worth three times the price tag of the Seiko. I may be only in my early 20's, but I don't think age should be an indication of potential budget. I think that people selling watches should treat everyone as though they were buying the most expensive watch in the store.

Has anyone else had similar experiences with staff underestimating their potential budget? Did you just walk out, or did you persist until they showed you the watch you were really interested in?

EDIT: Wallace Bishop is also the shop that gave me a quote of $495 to service an ETA 2824-2. Moral of the story: steer clear of them with watches!
    Last edited by TimeWizard; October 19th, 2013 at 11:49.

Re: Interesting experience at a jewellery shop

There's a roughly the same post over in Panerai subforum,where the member was treated badly because he looks young...
    Heck,I was even treated badly in some AD and boutique because I look young,usually I just walk away and do my business elsewhere...
    TimeWizard likes this.

Wish I looked young.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

a shame..wallacebishop do have some interesting selections sometimes
    TimeWizard likes this.

No, never. But to be honest I am usually well dressed and am in my mid forties now. It shouldn't matter, but it often does.
    TimeWizard likes this.

Fellow Aussie reporting for duty.

I've actually had the opposite. I'm 21, and both times I've purchased, or shown an interest in 'expensive' pieces, I've walked into the shop wearing a pretty laid back t-shirt, rugby shorts and thongs/runners. The first time, I was in Sydney Jewellers and I think the lady was fairly surprised I was being so decisive about what I was after, Watches of Switzerland I think were taken aback by the fact that I was wearing a shoulder immobiliser from shoulder surgery a month prior (but apart from that were happy to assist me), Swiss Concept were fantastic even though I was looking at watches way beyond my limits, and Nick on Castlereagh St. didn't blink twice when I walked into his shop in my uni/gym clothes and an old backpack.

It sucks that you were judged on your appearance. I've seen people walk into these places in similar clothes to me (athletic, casual, pretty lazy looking), and slap down five figures. The only discernable thing you could possibly go off is what they are currently wearing around their wrist. The most surprise I get is when I tell them I'm a student.
    at2011 and TimeWizard like this.
    Omega Seamaster Professional Planet Ocean 8500 Omega Speedmaster Professional 3572.50 Maurice Lacroix Pontos Day/Date Casio G-Shock DW-9052 TAG Heuer Formula 1 Lavina Manual Wind (Vintage 1940s) Swiss Military 6-512.15 Titanium

From what I hear about this place, sounds like an establishment to be avoided at all costs.

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeSport View Post
    No, never. But to be honest I am usually well dressed and am in my mid forties now. It shouldn't matter, but it often does.
    I'm a buttoned shirt and dress pants kind of guy, so it shouldn't have been what I was wearing that gave the impression I couldn't afford it. I'm left with the conclusion it was because I'm relatively young, and in her mind, therefore unable to spend money.

Most boutique/AD would ignore me because I look young and often dress very casually due to the climate here. I don't really blame them and would firmly ask for assistance if I required it.
    I would however walk out immediately and take my business elsewhere if the salesperson was rude.

My problem is totally opposite to yours, i am 22 and whenever i go to my local AD's they start by showing me their costliest collection as my dad is a watch collector and i often visit their with him. It really makes it akward as i just have to keep on refusing them and specify a budget.
    TimeWizard likes this.
    Breitling superocean heritage chrono 46mm, Rolex datejust ii, Omega seamaster professional, Omega constellation 38mm, Panerai pam 312, Omega planet ocean chrono 9300, Ulysse Nardin marine chronometer manufacture.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread Information