Interesting experience at Macy's and Tourneau. Ended up buying two tissots
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Interesting experience at Macy's and Tourneau. Ended up buying two tissots

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Interesting experience at Macy's and Tourneau. Ended up buying two tissots

Hi,

I was wearing a hamilton jazzmaster viewmatic. This was at the garden state plaza macy's and tourneau in Paramus, NJ. I (23 y/o) went with my parents to buy two watches for my two grandfathers in China. It was a last minute impulse decision by my mom or else I would have just bought them on jomashop. Was greeted by SA Ted at Macy's. We told him exactly what we wanted - tissot, steel, automatic and he pulled up the four that he had. Two were black dial and two were white dial. He immediately told us that we could get 15% off which was nice. Didn't try to push us to buy another brand/models and seemed like he actually knew a lot about watches. He was wearing an ESQ watch. We told him we would come back and then proceeded to visit Tourneau.

This was a small tourneau (compard to the midtown NYC one obviously). Sales people looked at us and didn't move to greet us or anything. We walked around for a couple minutes in the tissot section before a lady greeted us. I don't even remember her name. We told her that we were interested in buying only stainless steel automatic tissot and she showed us a couple that she had. Once again, the selection was pretty small. There were only two watches that fit our criteria. She tried a few times to pique our interest in Hamilton but we told her we were only interested in tissot. Then again tried to push us towards swiss army and raymond to which I immediately replied "no and no. only tissot today". She told us that she would check in the back what else in supply they had for our criteria but nothing more. We said thank you and proceeded back to Macy's. I was actually in the market for a pre-owned air king, milgauss, or JLC but they were so disinterested in their jobs combined with the fact that we were pressed for time that we just immediately went back to Macy's.

This time at Macy's, we were ready to buy two tissots. However, supply was low so the only watches they had were the watches they kept in the case. I double checked both watches and found a couple of nicks/scratches on each but my parents and I decided they were immaterial and nobody would even notice unless they looked at them with a microscope. I was VERY meticulous in checking these two watches since I'm always wary of buying the last things in stock. We asked him what the best price he could do was and he said he could do 20% off total.

We paid and that was that. $1070 for two tissot stainless steel automatics. Ted shook our hands as we left. I was surprised that Macy's would have such a poor selection but Ted seemed like a straight shooter, no nonsense kind of guy. We appreciated the fact that he didn't try to push us towards another brand like they did at Tourneau. The sales people at this tourneau seemed genuinely disinterested at their jobs. It was a small one and we were the only people there. I was actually going to ask them about their pre-owned selection.

If my mom didn't decide to make such a last minute impulse buy, I probably could have gotten these watches for ~$850 on jomashop but it is what it is. So buying a watch at Macy's wasn't so bad when you're dealing with a straight shooter like Ted.

cheers!
    s.erickson87 and Monocrom like this.

Re: Interesting experience at Macy's and Tourneau. Ended up buying two tissots

A much less pretentious post than the dribble posted yesterday.. you are growing wiser dear gopher. Your grandparents are sure to love their new watches.

Kindest Regards,
    Portauto
    futuregopher likes this.
    Rotation: IWC Portuguese 5001-09 7-Day; Glashütte Original PanoReserve; Rolex Oyster 6480 (1955); TAG Heuer 2000 Professional
    Sold: Seiko MarineMaster SBDX001; Omega Seamaster Professional; Steinhart Nav.B-Uhr II B-Type; Wilson Pilot with Sea-Gull ST36
    Older: Tissot Visodate Heritage 1957; Sea-Gull 819.315; Citizen Promaster Navitach JQ8020-52L; Casio DBC-61 Databank Digital (first watch)
    Daily Wear: Apple Watch Series 4 Hermes 40mm
    My Wife's: Cartier Tank Solo W5200005; Apple Watch Series 4 GPS 40mm

Fascinating. You mentioned you had on your Hamilton Jazzmaster Viewmatic, but did you also have on shorts as well as a t-shirt? Please, inquiring minds need to know.
    czarcasm likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Inactive

Congrats on the new Tissots, post us some pics?

Your AMEX gold card will be sorely disappointed that it could not be used to buy a PP. :rolleyes:

Sent from Russia.... with love.

I like watches.

Inactive

The sales folks at Tourneau were probably showing you watches from Swiss Army, Hamilton etc... because they're all basically at the same level. They were trying to show you similar quality watches according to what you were looking for.

Frankly there's nothing I hate worse then entering a store and seeing the salesman from a mile away immediately darting towards you, I prefer if they basically ignore me until I'm showing an appropriate level of interest in an item.

Showing you other nice watches, from similar brands, at a similar price point, that suited your criteria, how outrageous!
    czarcasm likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Dowling View Post
    The sales folks at Tourneau were probably showing you watches from Swiss Army, Hamilton etc... because they're all basically at the same level. They were trying to show you similar quality watches according to what you were looking for.

Frankly there's nothing I hate worse then entering a store and seeing the salesman from a mile away immediately darting towards you, I prefer if they basically ignore me until I'm showing an appropriate level of interest in an item.
    A professional and courteous "Hello," once a customer enters is always best. Always acknowledge the customer right away. I've worked in high-end / luxury retail. Some stores make it policy that they emphasize. My old manager back when I used to work at Colorado Pen company made it clear how important it was to follow that policy. The CEO walked into the store a couple of months before I was hired at their latest one to open. My manager was working at the other store at the time. Took a lunch break. Came back to find the CEO alone in the store. He had come in during the break, wasn't greeted by the lone employee who was minding the shop, didn't identify himself right away, and he fired that employee on the spot. The guy was actually a good worker too. Still got fired though.

I've been to places where I've walked in and been ignored by employees. Most of the time I just turn around and leave. Never come back. That's money they've not only lost out on, but will NEVER get from me since I'm never coming back. If I'm in a foul mood, I'll ask to speak to the manager and let him know I don't appreciate being treated like garbage, I'll never return, and I'll tell my family, friends, acquaintances, and co-workers to avoid the place. Plus, I'll be leaving a negative review on a couple of ratings sites. If he doesn't like that, then he should have trained his employees better.
    "The World is insane. With tiny spots of sanity here and there. Not the other way around." ~ John Cleese.

Quote Originally Posted by kylemacca01 View Post
    Showing you other nice watches, from similar brands, at a similar price point, that suited your criteria, how outrageous!
    Normally, I'd agree with you.

However, the OP did make it clear right off the bat that he was only interested in buying S.S. Tissot timepieces. When you get a customer who clearly knows which brand and which certain features he'd like to see, it's both a waste of time and can be annoying to the customer to show him something else in the same price-range. Makes it look as though you're not listening to the customer and instead just trying to make sure that he doesn't leave without buying something from you, if you don't have a large enough selection of what he's actually looking for. It's like saying, "I really don't care about what you're looking for. I just don't want your money walking out the door."
    "The World is insane. With tiny spots of sanity here and there. Not the other way around." ~ John Cleese.

Quote Originally Posted by Monocrom View Post
    Normally, I'd agree with you.

However, the OP did make it clear right off the bat that he was only interested in buying S.S. Tissot timepieces. When you get a customer who clearly knows which brand and which certain features he'd like to see, it's both a waste of time and can be annoying to the customer to show him something else in the same price-range. Makes it look as though you're not listening to the customer and instead just trying to make sure that he doesn't leave without buying something from you, if you don't have a large enough selection of what he's actually looking for. It's like saying, "I really don't care about what you're looking for. I just don't want your money walking out the door."
    Thats true but numerous times ive thought i wanted something specific only to be shown a second option which i ended up liking more!

I understand someone coming in who wont leave without a watch that says rolex on the dial. But tissot doesnt have that cachet and where as rolex is number 1 in terms of brand recognition, tissot has many equals all worthy of at least a look.
    Monocrom likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information