Interesting & Pleasant Experience at Omega Boutique
Like Tree6Likes
  • 2 Post By tsbphd
  • 1 Post By blowfish89
  • 2 Post By mleok
  • 1 Post By mleok

Thread: Interesting & Pleasant Experience at Omega Boutique

Interesting & Pleasant Experience at Omega Boutique

I'd like to share an experience I had at an Omega boutique store. No doubt similar to many others on this forum, I have an interest in watches, but cannot afford or will not allow myself to buy all the watches that look cool or interesting. About three years ago I started my first thread on WUS asking for information on watches in a thread titled https://forums.watchuseek.com/f71/new...ls-704964.html. The generous folks at WUS shared their opinions and expertise and in no time I had a new Seiko SARB017 Alpinist on my wrist. This proved to be my everyday watch for two years until a Seiko SARB065 Cocktail Time was purchased last year. The Cocktail Time now regularly resides on my wrist and I finally got around to writing a review of the Alpinist in this thread https://forums.watchuseek.com/f304/se...w-1660586.html.

I don't really view myself as a collector of watches, after all it has now been three years and only two watches have been purchased, but I do like to read this forum and I regularly check out watch images to find pieces that call my name. A watch that I always thought was really cool and that would someday be on my wrist is the Omega Speedmaster Professional. There is an Omega boutique relatively near us and I have stopped in there at least a half-dozen times over the last three years. Each visit has been quite nice and the good folks at Omega have allowed me to try on the Speedmaster while we leisurely talk. However, even though I adored the Speedmaster and thought it would someday be mine, I always left the store without the watch and with an odd feeling that it wasn't meant to be. Finally, two months ago during a previous visit, it clicked; I felt phony or fake wearing the watch.

It's a wonderfully built and great looking watch with terrific history and outstanding marketing, but I'll never use many of the features of the watch and I felt as though each time it was on my wrist that there was a big sign above me stating that I would never appreciate what this watch could do in the hands of someone who knew how to fully use it. I felt hollow. Oddly enough, this freed me to think more about other watches and about what it is that I appreciate in a watch. Essentially, it allowed me to unwind the paradox of what I appear to gravitate toward vs. the Omega Speedmaster ideal that I constructed in my mind. I prefer a well-made watch and lean toward dials with fewer complications that might even be considered plain. The Seiko SARB065 Cocktail Time that I wear daily certainly has little in terms of dial complications and it might appear plain, but it has delicate features and one heck of an understated elegance-

Other watches that I like are-

1) Seiko SBGW033; but this is pretty darn similar to the Cocktail Time and costs perhaps $6,500.

2) Seiko SBGR095; similar comments to the SBGW033, but I do not know what it costs (it will definitely cost a bundle, however).

3) Glashutte Original Senator Sixties; the blue dial with the date above the six o'clock position looks incredible and is priced similarly to the above watches.

4) Zenith Elite Captain with Central Seconds Hand; the black dial version with date at the six o'clock position is killer and is priced significantly less than the others listed already.

5) Breitling SuperOcean Heritage; the 46mm version with black dial and bracelet might be awfully large and it is a diver, but it doesn't look to me like every other dive watch out there.

6) Omega Aqua Terra; the blue dial at 42mm felt and looked terrific while the other color dials looked odd to me.

One or two of the above might end up with me at some point in the not-too-distant future and I would be okay with that as a change of pace for the Cocktail Time. You will note that none look like the Speedmaster. This afternoon I returned to the Omega store and explained my epiphany to the three folks there; while all three of them were wearing the iconic Speedmaster Professional. I mentioned to them that the watch looked great on them (it did) and that I had no assumptions or judgments about them (I don't). Regardless, I had thoughts of Rodney Dangerfield from "Caddyshack" in my mind when he says "Oh, it looks good on you though".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=171FURqSIQc

Oddly enough, and I thought this was pretty funny at the time, when I walked into the Omega boutique and asked to try on an AT I removed my Cocktail Time and placed it on the tray. The older sales representative didn't flinch at the watch, but the younger sales representative (in his late twenties or so) was standing about ten feet away from me and jumped out from behind the counter to grab my watch and he exclaimed-

"You have a Cocktail Time!"

As I tried on the AT, the younger sales representative walked over to the older one and held out my watch while rotating it under the light. He then enthusiastically stated-

"Look at this dial...it's insane!"

This was in the Natick Mall outside of Boston, MA and the folks who work there have always made me feel quite comfortable, have been patient with me and have taken all the time I have needed to answer any questions. It always feels comfortable in that shop and today was no exception.
    avt80 and Gregc like this.

B17

Re: Interesting & Pleasant Experience at Omega Boutique

Just ordered a Cocktail Time last week, expecting arrival next week.

Go for the blue AT! I would love that watch and can afford it, but at this time don't feel comfortable pulling the trigger on something at that price - CDN$/US$ ratio not the greatest right now for me.
    Last edited by B17; April 4th, 2015 at 06:51.

I would pick the Glashutte Original from your options :)

How pleasant that the Omega boutique guy recognized your SARB065. I was wearing my C. Ward C60 when I visited my local Omega boutique. The salesperson asked me what it is, then asked if it housed an inhouse movement or 'just' an ETA. When I said it was just an ETA, he didn't talk to me anymore. I told him 'hey, its inspired by your Omega Seamasters with the waves on the dial' ;)
    Last edited by blowfish89; April 4th, 2015 at 08:05.
    B17 likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by blowfish89 View Post

How pleasant that the Omega boutique guy recognized your SARB065. I was wearing my C. Ward C60 when I visited my local Omega boutique. The salesperson asked me what it is, then asked if it housed an inhouse movement or 'just' an ETA. When I said it was just an ETA, he didn't talk to me anymore. I told him 'hey, its inspired by your Omega Seamasters with the waves on the dial' ;)
    The dial on the Cocktail Time is pretty cool and distinctive though, and it doesn't really compete with anything that Omega offers. In contrast, the C. Ward C60 is probably too close to a Bond SMP for comfort though. One of the sales associates at the San Diego Omega boutique was pretty snobby when I went in wearing my Tudor Black Bay, and he mentioned it looked like a Rolex, and I said it was a Tudor. He then proceed to ask me if I was ready to upgrade to an Omega.
    blowfish89 and Tjohnson like this.

Patek Philippe Calatrava 5119J; Vacheron Constantin Overseas; Jaeger-LeCoultre Grande Reverso Duo; Rolex Submariner 114060; Omega Seamaster 300; Montblanc Heritage Dual Time; Tudor Black Bay.

Armida A12; Borealis Estoril; Bulova Accutron II Alpha, Moonwatch; Casio GMW-B5000D, GW-5000, GST-W310; Certina DS-2; Coach Fulton; Hamilton Khaki Field; Helson Skindiver; Orient 60th Anniversary; Seagull Tourbillon, 1963 Air Force; Seiko SNA089P, SUN025P1; Steinhart OVM; Swatch Body and Soul, Heracles, Sistem51, Uncle Charly; Victorinox Alliance, Infantry Vintage.

Quote Originally Posted by mleok View Post
    The dial on the Cocktail Time is pretty cool and distinctive though, and it doesn't really compete with anything that Omega offers. In contrast, the C. Ward C60 is probably too close to a Bond SMP for comfort though. One of the sales associates at the San Diego Omega boutique was pretty snobby when I went in wearing my Tudor Black Bay, and he mentioned it looked like a Rolex, and I said it was a Tudor. He then proceed to ask me if I was ready to upgrade to an Omega.
    You should have said that you already belong to the Rolex family, so it would be a downgrade :p
    Wait.. all those brands and no Omega in your sig ? Makes me very happy :D

You should have said that you already belong to the Rolex family, so it would be a downgrade :p
    Wait.. all those brands and no Omega in your sig ? Makes me very happy :D
    I've tried the Speedmaster Professional a couple of times, but it doesn't sing to me. The Planet Ocean is too thick for my taste, and I'm not a fan of the bracelet on the SMPc. I like the AT, but I don't really need a versatile watch, since I already have a pretty diverse collection. I like the concept of the Seamaster 300, but don't like the polished center links and shiny bezel with the vintage inspired look.

As for their dress line, I like the De Ville Tresor, but not enough to get it in gold. The new Globemaster is nice, but I don't like the fluted bezel, which makes it a bit too busy for my taste.

Some of their older watches do appeal to me, such as:

1. Great White GMT

2. Vintage Seamaster 300

3. Vintage Constellation Pie Pan
    blowfish89 likes this.

Patek Philippe Calatrava 5119J; Vacheron Constantin Overseas; Jaeger-LeCoultre Grande Reverso Duo; Rolex Submariner 114060; Omega Seamaster 300; Montblanc Heritage Dual Time; Tudor Black Bay.

Armida A12; Borealis Estoril; Bulova Accutron II Alpha, Moonwatch; Casio GMW-B5000D, GW-5000, GST-W310; Certina DS-2; Coach Fulton; Hamilton Khaki Field; Helson Skindiver; Orient 60th Anniversary; Seagull Tourbillon, 1963 Air Force; Seiko SNA089P, SUN025P1; Steinhart OVM; Swatch Body and Soul, Heracles, Sistem51, Uncle Charly; Victorinox Alliance, Infantry Vintage.

I recently visited Tourneau at Lennox Mall and the Omega Boutique across the street at Phipps Plaza (both in Atlanta) on the same day. The guy I spoke to at Tourneau (I was interested in the Breitling Superocean Heritage) was a watch collector himself, and was extremely knowledgeable. Even more impressively, he was just as nice as can be. I was wearing this:

Name:  snzj53 2.JPG
Views: 350
Size:  121.7 KB

...and when I took it off to try on the SOH, he said, "Wow. That's a cool Seiko." We shot the breeze for maybe 10 minutes and I left the store in a very good mood. Fifteen minutes later, I was at the Omega Boutique and the young woman was just as nice and nearly as knowledgeable as the Tourneau guy. I tried on a Dark Side of the Moon, a Speedy Pro, and a blue Aqua Terra 8500. She offered to snap a few pics with my cell phone so I could have them to compare to the SOH. Her comment about my watch: "Oooohhh, very nice Seiko." Again, just a great experience.

Long story short...some of these folks are extremely nice. Personally, I've never had a bad experience at a watch shop, and will be disappointed if it ever happens.

Nunavut during the school year, Ontario in the summers

Quote Originally Posted by mleok View Post
    I really dislike the upgrade comment from sales staff. I've had it once. The comment is based on the assumption that the only value a watch can have is what it sells for. Can you image how someone would feel if a sales person said this to them about a watch they inherited from a dead parent or grandparent?

To the OP, Seiko makes a great watch. I'm looking forward to getting one someday soon. Probably a Presage or SARB033. Great story.
    Omega Seamaster Professional Planet Ocean 232.30.42.21.01.001
    Omega Seamaster Aqua Terra >15,000 Gauss 231.10.42.21.01.002 (bumble bee)
    Grand Seiko Caliber 9S 20th Anniversary Limited Edition Mechanical Hi-Beat 36000 SBGH267G
    Casio
    G-Shock GW-5610
    Rolex Explorer 1 114270 (36mm) -requisitioned by my wife

Pretty obnoxious on the part of the clerk--and also not very smart, as obviously no sale was made, and I suspect if you do buy an Omega, it won't be there. There may be a few people who shop on Madison Avenue and fall for the old trick of "OK, I'll buy something to show this rude clerk that I have enough money to do it," but most people are much more responsive to good manners. I think if I ever had the opportunity to go pay cash for the VC I want, I would strap on one of my Seiko 5's and make the purchase from the first salesperson who said it was a cool watch.

Banned

I have a good experience in every Omega and Tourbillon Boutique I go in.

Thread Information