Interesting Solutions to First World Problems and Other Interesting Things About Watches and Whatnot
Like Tree6Likes
  • 2 Post By ilitig8
  • 2 Post By tony20009
  • 2 Post By ilitig8

Thread: Interesting Solutions to First World Problems and Other Interesting Things About Watches and Whatnot

Interesting Solutions to First World Problems and Other Interesting Things About Watches and Whatnot

The problem: Not wanting to wear a nice watch for fear of marring (not breaking) it.

How'd I solve my problem?
    Many years ago, I had one really nice watch. Or at least I felt that way about it, regardless of where it actually stood on the continuum of "niceness." I was very careful to wear it only on occasions when the risk of marring it was low. Over time, I bought more "nice" watches and eventually, the majority of my watches were, in my estimation, "nice."

Once most any watch I was going to wear was a nice watch, it became inevitable that one or more of them would lose a fight with a wall, a floor or maybe even a rowlock. I then realized that that's what a nice "tool watch" like many a Rolex, for example, is for, so even though it's nice, it's not at all bothersome that it's got some dings and scratches. It's no longer a matter of "not wanting to mar my nice watch" because all of them are nice. And quite frankly, I prefer to wear something nice, even if I'm planting petunias, groping under a stove for a dropped earring or changing the oil in a car.

Notes:
    • No I don't any longer change the oil in my cars, but I'm able to if I must.
    • Her earring, not mine. Were I to wear an earring, I'd let it stay there. At least I'd know where it is, which is more than I can say for most of hers. LOL
    • I've got enough sense to know there are other ways to get an object from below the stove/refrigerator, etc., but I also know my first reaction will be to kneel down on the floor and try to reach under there to retrieve it.

What inventive solutions have you come up with?

All the best.

Every solution to every problem is simple. It's the distance between the two where the mystery lies.
    -- Derek Landy, Skulduggery Pleasant
    __________________________________________________ _____________________________
    Cheers,
    Tony

Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment.
    ― A.A. Milne

Based in South east asia, travelling between

Re: Interesting Solutions to First World Problems and Other Interesting Things About Watches and Wha

Solution: buy used.
    W.A.S. Watch Acquisition Syndrome Patient.

Re: Interesting Solutions to First World Problems and Other Interesting Things About Watches and Wha

My solution is somewhat similar to your Tony.

1. I have a true beater, a Seiko quartz Mile Marker that I wear when I work in the yard etc but I don't switch to do normal activities in the house.

2. The first plexi-glass crystal watch I owned years ago made me much more aware of my left wrist and so it is rare I do anything with my left wrist that puts a watch in mortal danger.

3. With a accumulation which aside from the Seiko being what I consider nice I have accepted scratches etc are no big deal and can be fixed by me easily or dealt with at service, but I am more aware of my REALLY nice watches being on my wrist. I have also accepted if a hit would actually break a crystal or do any real significant damage I would probably rather the watch take the hit than my wrist.

Outside of when I bother to switch to my beater I just don't sweat it, life is too short. That said I did react differently when I only had one watch I considered "nice".
    tony20009 and drhr like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Problem: Wanting more watches than I could ever actually buy

Solution: Enjoy them vicariously through you people and your intriguing anecdotes shared here on WUS.

Problem: Not having a purple dial watch.

Solution: Grosgrain/NATO-style straps.

All the best.
    ilitig8 and drhr like this.
    __________________________________________________ _____________________________
    Cheers,
    Tony

Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment.
    ― A.A. Milne

Quote Originally Posted by tony20009 View Post
    Problem: Wanting more watches than I could ever actually buy

Solution: Enjoy them vicariously through you people and your intriguing anecdotes shared here on WUS.
    That is a real issue. Even if money were not an object I wouldn't have enough days or wrists to enjoy them. I once spent an afternoon daydreaming about having 366 watches, one for each day of the year, not that it could ever happen unless maybe they were all HMTs. It hit me in the course of this daydream that each watch, assuming a 5 year service interval, would spend far more time "in the shop" than on my wrist, I further did the mental math and realized even with 28 watches, if worn in strict rotation, would be worn 65 days every 5 years which would also mean most watches would spend more time in service than on the wrist. That hasn't stopped me from approaching 28 though!
    tony20009 and hanzo like this.

The problem: can't see the date or other small figure(s) on my watch dial.

The solution: stop buying watches that display dates.

All the best.
    Cheers,
    Tony

― A.A. Milne

OK, maybe I missed something but if you want to wear nice watches all the time wouldn't the solution be to use your non-watch hand to reach for things or unscrew an oil filter, etc.?

Quote Originally Posted by Victor Cruz View Post
    OK, maybe I missed something but if you want to wear nice watches all the time wouldn't the solution be to use your non-watch hand to reach for things or unscrew an oil filter, etc.?
    I suppose that could work also. It hasn't worked for me.

Somehow, my brain moves the hand it thinks will have the easiest time of reaching for and successfully retrieving an object without also "upsetting the apple cart" of everything else going on in my immediate vicinity. For example, my right hand is the one that reaches for a computer mouse because my brain knows the mouse is sitting to the right of the keyboard. When I do things like work on a car, fix a minor household item, reach under a stove or refrigerator, etc., I "just do it." M<y movements more reflexive than deliberate.

Maybe that will change in the years ahead. I know my aged parents (88 & 96) are very deliberate about what hand, knee, foot, etc. they "lead with." I think that's something borne of necessity and steadiness. I'm not a kid any longer, but my motor functions and physical health is still such that I can safely function with them working on "auto-pilot."

All the best.

It's a reflex. Hear a bell, get food. See an undead, throw a knife. Same thing, really.
    -- Ilona Andrews, Magic Bites
    Cheers,
    Tony

― A.A. Milne

Although instinctively you will often use whatever hand is closest or also most dominant, for me the right hand which also happens to be my non-watch hand, I also tend to be very self-conscious of my watch hand and will avoid using it for tasks that could cause damage to what I'm wearing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thread Information