Interesting story about Lincoln's watch

Thread: Interesting story about Lincoln's watch

Interesting story about Lincoln's watch

Read it here.

Last edited by Francois Boucher; March 11th, 2009 at 05:51.
    François – Quebec City, QC

Re: Interesting story about Lincoln's watch

Great story! Anyone who loves history and watches should get a kick out of it.

I read the article, and blew up the image myself. Nobody mentioned that "Jeff Davis" is scratched across the bridge. I wonder what THAT means.
    Last edited by cpotters; March 11th, 2009 at 06:02. Reason: spelling
    Cpotters

The Line-up:

Tudor 7928, Bunch of beat-up old Rolexes, MKII Custom Stingray 50, MKII LRRP, MKII TR-1000, MKII Kingston, Benrus Type I, Benrus Ultra-deep Super-compressor plus other super-Cs, 60's Zodiac Seawolfand Super Seawolf, Breitling Chronomat, ...

and lots of other vintage stuff.

Banned

Lovely story!
    And what a relaxing time (before the Civil war, of course), so laidback that an important polititian as A. Lincoln could function without a watch!!
    Something to aspire to!
    Of course, we would still need watches to collect!)
    (

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by cpotters View Post

I read the article, and blew up the image myself. Nobody mentioned that "Jeff Davis" is scratched across the bridge. I wonder what THAT means.
    That's what I was thinking, "Who's Jeff Davis?"

Great story. Thanks for the link.
    --- Chaad

"All your girlfriends care about the watch you wear and they're talkin' about it." (Adult Education, Hall & Oates)

Quote Originally Posted by cpotters View Post

The watch was probably serviced later in 1864 and another watchmaker etched his name on it - "LE Grof - 1864". He may also have been a confederate sympathizer as "Jeff Davis" was also added. Jefferson Davis was Lincoln's counterpart as the confederate president.

I wonder what Abe Lincoln would have thought when he got his watch serviced and so many people added graffiti inside it! And many props to the 16th President of the USA for being so conscientious in having his watch serviced regularly.

PS: Its standard practice in those days (and even now I believe) for watchmakers to etch their initials and the date on the inside back of the watch casing as a permanent record of services on the watch.

Quote Originally Posted by eqdok2007 View Post
    PS: Its standard practice in those days (and even now I believe) for watchmakers to etch their initials and the date on the inside back of the watch casing as a permanent record of services on the watch.
    I think that must be so as my Grandfather's pocket watch has 8 such engravings on the inside of the case back.
    Current favorites:
    Squale Y1545 20 ATMOS Militaire (Original) Ser. No. 0001; Sturmanskie Open Space 24Hr Ser. No. 199/250; Glycine Airman 17; Seiko Prospex PADI SRPA21;
    AirNautic Early Bird 24hr #20; Bathys Black Aquaculture; Citizen Eco-Zilla SS; Corvus Bradley #44; Hamilton Field Mechanical 44mm;
    Luminox 8202; OCEAN7 LM-1LE 41/150; LM-3V2B #26; LM-7 #7; Seiko SKX007K2; Squale 50 ATMOS; + about 25 more
    Incoming: NADA

I've been trying for some time to develop a lifestyle that doesn't require my presence.- Garry Trudeau
    Time has little to do with infinity and jelly donuts. - Lt. "Mac" McReynolds

Thread Information