Interesting upcoming exhibit at the Smithsonian National Air & Space Museum...

Thread: Interesting upcoming exhibit at the Smithsonian National Air & Space Museum...

Interesting upcoming exhibit at the Smithsonian National Air & Space Museum...

I was in DC recently and saw this banner for an upcoming exhibit at the Air & Space Museum:

Name:  IMG_1771.jpg
Views: 230
Size:  221.9 KB

The text on the lower, right-hand sign says,

"If you want to know where you are, you need an accurate clock.

This surprising connection between time and place has been crucial for centuries. About 250 years ago, sailors first used accurate clocks to navigate the oceans. Today we locate ourselves on the globe with synchronized clocks in orbiting satellites. Among the many challenges facing navigation from then to now, one stands out: keeping accurate time.

This gallery will explore how revolutions in timekeeping over three centuries have influenced how we find our way."

Opening in March 2013.
    Omega Speedmaster Professional 3570.50
    Seiko Sumo SBDC003
    Jaeger-LeCoultre Reverso Ultra Thin Tribute to 1931
    Rolex GMT Master II BLNR

Banned

Re: Interesting upcoming exhibit at the Smithsonian National Air & Space Museum...

That expo would be interesting to see!

Re: Interesting upcoming exhibit at the Smithsonian National Air & Space Museum...

I think that will be something that I need to see!
    Cheers,
    Mike

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Here's the official press release from way back in 2009:

Press Release: New Time and Navigation Exhibit Is in the Works at the Smithsonian

It's going to be a permanent part of the museum, so I guess that's why it's taking so long. Sounds like it'll be pretty cool.

"Highlights of the exhibit will include a walk-through 19th-century sailing vessel, a submarine navigation center, navigation satellites, aircraft and a robotic vehicle. This exhibit will span three centuries and explore efforts to travel beyond Earth and through the solar system. It will draw parallels between the basic human desire to experience new environments and societal efforts to discover distant worlds."
    Omega Speedmaster Professional 3570.50
    Seiko Sumo SBDC003
    Jaeger-LeCoultre Reverso Ultra Thin Tribute to 1931
    Rolex GMT Master II BLNR

Thread Information