Interesting Wall Street Journal Article
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Mr. Panerai
  • 1 Post By sheon

Thread: Interesting Wall Street Journal Article

Interesting Wall Street Journal Article

Hi guys,

Reading the WSJ this morning, I was pleasantly surprised to find a good sized article on mechanical wrist watches, and their resurgence in the watch industry, as well as how their value can increase. Talked a lot about really expensive watches, that would likely cause most of the people that read the article to gasp, while I was just like "yeah, $500,000 fo a Patek..." hahaha.

Anyways, you probably wont learn much from reading this article, but its nonetheless a read about mechanical wristwatches, which is why we're all here right? Its also interesting to read, knowing it wasn't written for WIS type.

Anyways, Enjoy!

Winders' Keepers - WSJ.com
    bacari likes this.

Re: Interesting Wall Street Journal Article

Interesting, thanks for sharing.

The WSJ makes it sound like buying a mechanical wristwatch is a great investment: a PP bought for $30k in the 70s is worth half a million today.

Sadly, most watches barely keep their value over time, much less appreciate like that.
    'I reach for my watch from the bedside table and consider the dial - its rectitude, its innocence - then I understand the position of the hands and that, yes, rush-hour traffic will already have begun.' - Deborah Eisenberg, The Flaw in the Design

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Exactly, hope people don't take this as sound investment advice. Unless you are dealing in a few very exclusive brands, they don't make very good investments.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

I think the article EXCLUSIVELY referred to brands that appreciate in value. Pre-quartz, pre-Swatch, pre-cheap-watches-are-just-as-good-as-expensive-watches trend. PP, VC, RM, A. Lange and Rolex were the only brands mentioned (apart from the unrelated Casio), and the number "half a million" was used a lot. I don't think this article was aimed at the seiko/lum-tec/CW/marathon/"what's the best luxury watch I can get for under $500?" crowd - or WIS in general. It was written for actual luxury goods investors. Who would have a vested interest in buying a book on historically significant luxury watches. Which this article is an ad for. :)
    I've spent my money on women, whisky and watches. The rest I just wasted.

Quote Originally Posted by stapleton33 View Post
    I think the article EXCLUSIVELY referred to brands that appreciate in value. Pre-quartz, pre-Swatch, pre-cheap-watches-are-just-as-good-as-expensive-watches trend. PP, VC, RM, A. Lange and Rolex were the only brands mentioned (apart from the unrelated Casio), and the number "half a million" was used a lot. I don't think this article was aimed at the seiko/lum-tec/CW/marathon/"what's the best luxury watch I can get for under $500?" crowd - or WIS in general. It was written for actual luxury goods investors. Who would have a vested interest in buying a book on historically significant luxury watches. Which this article is an ad for. :)
    If only there was a foolproof way to predict brands that appreciate in value. PP and Rolex have over the past few decades but who knows what the future will bring.

I can understand the author wanting to plug her book. I just wish the article could have been more balanced, you know. After all, apart from PP, luxury brands like VC, AP and JLC depreciate. It's a matter of how much they depreciate. I feel the author should have mentioned the vast majority of luxury watch owners who have seen their 'investment' depreciate.

Even within PP, if you're looking for an 'investment' watch (i.e., $30k to 500k over 40 years), I think you need to choose the watch carefully.
    Last edited by sheon; February 18th, 2013 at 01:10. Reason: grammar
    Skitalets likes this.
    'I reach for my watch from the bedside table and consider the dial - its rectitude, its innocence - then I understand the position of the hands and that, yes, rush-hour traffic will already have begun.' - Deborah Eisenberg, The Flaw in the Design

An interesting article, I wonder why the author focused on the uber expensive end of the mechanical market...
    "The stuff that dreams are made of…" - RGM ‘801 EE Motor Barrel’

Thread Information