International shipping from the US

Thread: International shipping from the US

International shipping from the US

For those of you that privately sell watches here and ship them from the US overseas, what service do you use? I see some ads offer to ship internationally for only a few dollars more, but I can't figure out where that is offered. USPS's priority service is reasonably priced, but the insurance tops out pretty low for most watches. Am I missing something?

Thanks.

Dave

Re: International shipping from the US

Whatever service you use, make sure that any insurance will actually cover a watch. Every carrier is more than willing to insure a package for whatever amount you want, but if you need to collect you then find out that jewelry isn't covered for very much if at all.

Also make sure that that you can send a specific item to a specific country. Some countries have a rather long list of items you can't send. Some countries will not allow any leather items, so the watch strap could cause a problem.

I've used USPS Global Priority, but only for rather inexpensive items. There's no sort of tracking with that. USPS Global Express does offer tracking and that's what I've used for watches in the past. I've never had any problems with Express, but a few items sent Priority never got there. Do remember than the local country's postal service actually delivers the packages, and some country's postal services work better than others.

I've also used FedEx a few times without any problems. However, I suspect that in all cases had something gone wrong the insurance wouldn't have covered the loss.
    USPS Registered is probably the safest way to send something as it needs to be signed for every time someone touches the package.

I've used the USPS with good results. Some countries are dicey, like Italy or Russia, and you should use Registered any time you are really serious about the shipment.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Canadians hate shipping with anything other than USPS.

FedEx, UPS etc. cause us all sorts of grief. With those carriers we ALWAYS pay tax and duties (i.e. around 20% of the value) PLUS they decide they want a cut as well which is usually as much, often more than the taxes and duties. For example, on a cheap item around $150, I have often been charges another $70 by UPS , $30 in taxes/duties and $40 from UPS.

If addition they aren't nearly as easy to deal with compared to Canada post.

Just an FYI for when a Canadian asks for USPS or as a kind gesture if they don't know better.
    Collection:

*Tag Heuer Carrera Automatic Twin Time (WV2115)
    *Omega Seamaster Aqua Terra (2503.33.00)
    *Vintage 1956 Junghans Chronometer Cal. 82/1 (682.73)

*Sunnto Core Lava Red Positive Dial (SS016788000
    )
    *Casio Super Illuminator (MDV102-7a)
    *Vintage 1983 Seiko SQ (6923-7009)

*Jaeger-LeCoultre Atmos Cal 528-8 Mantle Clock

Montreal, Canada. Land of Captain Canuck!

Quote Originally Posted by Drez View Post
    Canadians hate shipping with anything other than USPS.

FedEx, UPS etc. cause us all sorts of grief. With those carriers we ALWAYS pay tax and duties (i.e. around 20% of the value) PLUS they decide they want a cut as well which is usually as much, often more than the taxes and duties. For example, on a cheap item around $150, I have often been charges another $70 by UPS , $30 in taxes/duties and $40 from UPS.

If addition they aren't nearly as easy to deal with compared to Canada post.

Just an FYI for when a Canadian asks for USPS or as a kind gesture if they don't know better.
    After more than ten years on eBay buying and selling (I registered in 1998 when they started out; it was called "Auctionweb" then!) I can say that, the previous post is 110% correct when it comes to us Canucks.

Please use USPS for us, with tracking and insurance if needed. :thanks

I have never had any bad experience with USPS. Never in more than ten years!

Avant l’heure ce n’est pas l’heure; après l’heure ce n’est plus l’heure

Since 1999 and my first Omega Seamaster Bond, I've had dozens of watches.
    Permanent collection today: Rolex Submariner, Tudor Black Bay & Black Bay Heritage
    Omega Planet Ocean &
    Speedmaster Sapphire, Weiss 38mm Standard Issue Auto & Hand Wound
    Tissot T-Touch II, Baron Mauer Calaway , Casio G-Shock 35th Metal
    my feedback

Thread Information