International trades....what do I do?
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: International trades....what do I do?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

International trades....what do I do?

I'm *considering* doing an international trade on a watch. How do I go about this? Usually, I would have the safety net from paypal AND shipping provider. Now I would only have it from a shipping provider, which is hit and miss due to the whole jewelry/watch restriction. So thats very worrisome. I'd hate for it to fall into the black hole, never to be seen again.

Anybody got ideas/tips?

Thanks,
    Ethan

Sent via Tapatalk

(Dedicated to the pink tiger stripe and the man behind it.)

Re: International trades....what do I do?

I just completed an international trade (two watches for one) from the US to the UK. The seller was very experienced and had a lot of positive reviews. We both shipped express mail, (so they had tracking numbers) and insured for the max amount ($650 USD).

The seller was also very generous, and let me send 1 watch, receive my watch, and then send the other to complete the trade (to ensure that if something was lost in the mail, that I wouldn't be out the whole 9 yards).

In general, I wouldn't worry too much as long as the person you are trading with is reputable on these forums, and you both track and insure the packages.

Happy trading
    Gary123 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by seoulseeker View Post
    I just completed an international trade (two watches for one) from the US to the UK. The seller was very experienced and had a lot of positive reviews. We both shipped express mail, (so they had tracking numbers) and insured for the max amount ($650 USD).

The seller was also very generous, and let me send 1 watch, receive my watch, and then send the other to complete the trade (to ensure that if something was lost in the mail, that I wouldn't be out the whole 9 yards).

In general, I wouldn't worry too much as long as the person you are trading with is reputable on these forums, and you both track and insure the packages.

Happy trading
    Thanks bud.

So is there still a jewelry restriction on international shipping with express mail? Because that was the last I heard. If not, I would feel a whole lot better. Maybe you could confirm or deny?

Sent via Tapatalk

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I wasn't informed of any such restriction.... can't say for sure that there isn't one though.

I have had numerous transactions overseas with watches. I normally use a private carrier for shipping high end jewelry overseas. But I did just use USPS Express International to ship a $1,000 watch fully insured. You can ship Express no problem, the problem is insurance. They will not insure for more than $2,499. International Price Calculator
    Chronographs: Breitling 2 tone Chronomat Evo, Roger Dubuis Easy Diver, DeWitt Academia Sequential, Franck Muller Conquistador, IWC Aquatimer, Hublot Oceanographic 1000, Parmigiani Pershing 45, Paul Picot Plongeur, Royal Oak Offshore Gstaad, Franck Muller Vanguard Carbon, Franck Muller Conquistador, Chopard Mille Miglia, Zenith Defy Aero.. 3 Hand: Angular Momentum diver, Bucherer ScubaTec 2-tone, UN MM Diver 2-tone, Omega Ploprof, Ball Hunley, Omega SM 300 Master Co-Ax 2-tone, Chopard Pro 1, Zodiac Super Sea Wolf, Panerai Sub ti, Monta OceanKing, Breitling SOH II

Calgary, Canada via Marin County, California

I take advantage of whatever insurance is available from the shipping company, and my homeowner's insurance covers me for anything else. Fortunately I've never had to ever make a claim.

I don't know that your homeowner's insurance would cover the loss of a package overseas. And I don't know about Canada's home owner's insurance, but in the US certain items (like high end jewelry and watches) are specifically not covered unless they are specifically listed in a separate schedule and the insurance charges a separate amount for those scheduled items.
    Chronographs: Breitling 2 tone Chronomat Evo, Roger Dubuis Easy Diver, DeWitt Academia Sequential, Franck Muller Conquistador, IWC Aquatimer, Hublot Oceanographic 1000, Parmigiani Pershing 45, Paul Picot Plongeur, Royal Oak Offshore Gstaad, Franck Muller Vanguard Carbon, Franck Muller Conquistador, Chopard Mille Miglia, Zenith Defy Aero.. 3 Hand: Angular Momentum diver, Bucherer ScubaTec 2-tone, UN MM Diver 2-tone, Omega Ploprof, Ball Hunley, Omega SM 300 Master Co-Ax 2-tone, Chopard Pro 1, Zodiac Super Sea Wolf, Panerai Sub ti, Monta OceanKing, Breitling SOH II

I would purchase each others watches via Paypal and then refund each others money once the watches have arrived.

*I would read through Paypals T's & C's to make sure you're doing anything wrong.
    Formerguide likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by seoulseeker View Post
    I wasn't informed of any such restriction.... can't say for sure that there isn't one though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary123 View Post
    I have had numerous transactions overseas with watches. I normally use a private carrier for shipping high end jewelry overseas. But I did just use USPS Express International to ship a $1,000 watch fully insured. You can ship Express no problem, the problem is insurance. They will not insure for more than $2,499. International Price Calculator
    It is in fact (still) prohibited to ship watches via Express mail. They won't stop you, after all they make money, but the insurance won't cover any losses since you're not supposed to have shipped watches in the first place

134 Valuable Articles

134 Valuable Articles

134.1 Service Options

The following services can be used to send the articles noted in 134.2:

1. First-Class Mail International service with Registered Mail service.
    2. Priority Mail International Flat Rate Envelopes with Registered Mail service.
    3. Priority Mail International Small Flat Rate Priced Boxes with Registered Mail service.
    4. Priority Mail International service with insured service.

Note: Neither Express Mail International service nor ordinary (uninsured) Priority Mail International service can be used to send the articles noted in 134.2.

[...]

134.2 List of Articles

[...]

1. Precious stones, jewels, jewelry, watches, and other valuable articles.

Last edited by Citizen V; September 3rd, 2012 at 06:17.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen V View Post
    It is in fact (still) prohibited to ship watches via Express mail. They won't stop you, after all they make money, but the insurance won't cover any losses since you're not supposed to have shipped watches in the first place

134 Valuable Articles
    Thank you for all that. It confirmed my worst suspicions.

So two things:
    1. What are my alternatives?
    2. How do companies like Ace ship watches international?

Sent via Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information