Intricate Watch Cases? + Ralph Lauren Discussion
Like Tree18Likes
  • 3 Post By dbostedo
  • 7 Post By rfortson
  • 7 Post By MZhammer
  • 1 Post By tempus93

Thread: Intricate Watch Cases? + Ralph Lauren Discussion

Confused Intricate Watch Cases? + Ralph Lauren Discussion

I was going to start this thread for a long time, then forgot, and then was reminded by aBTW Article (https://www.ablogtowatch.com/ralph-l...stern-watches/).

So Ralph Lauren released watches with a very intricate case work:

A brand that sells $50 dollars polos at an outlet is a questionable watchmaker, combination of roman and arabic drives me bananas, and the $50k price tag is absolutely insane. I also kinda don't get how this is an American Western Watch (maybe that’s on me)

That said, you know that magical feeling when you look at a watch? These watches kinda give me that. I think a case sparkling on your wrist can do just that kind of magic and these watches reminded me of Patek 5175:

ALRIGHT. Enough pictures and rambling.

Question #1 - Ralph Lauren American Western: Yay or Nay?
    Question #2 - What is the watch that has a unique interesting case work that you wish (or do) to have on your wrist? Surfaces, engravings, screws etc. Bezels don't count so no GMT II pics! Bonus points if the watch is <$10k.
    Last edited by tempus93; September 24th, 2018 at 04:47.

Re: Intricate Watch Cases? + Ralph Lauren Discussion

Hmmm, brings to mind, Montana Watch Company.

Well I kind of like Ralph Lauren as a watch maker... they seem to take it seriously, with support from Richemont, despite being primarily a clothing designer. I've always wanted one of these :

Name:  99e8ee6c81e1daa9cdea1f93f304bf18.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  76.9 KB

That said... these watches are a neat attempt at a unique style, but not really my taste. The work and craftsmanship is impressive though.
    slcbbrown, DocScotter and drhr like this.
    ​Grand Seiko SBGE033, Jaquest Droz Grande Seconde, Breitling Navitimer Cosmonaute, Prometheus Piranha, Orient Wingman, Zeppelin Flatline 7366-3, Glashutte Original PanoMaticLunar, Epos Emotion 3390, Steinhart Ocean 2 Premium, Hamilton Khaki Field, Omega 1965 Vintage, Seiko 5 SNKK27, Seiko 1977 Vintage, Nomos Orion 38, Wittnauer 1960's Vintage, Movado SL1 Chrono, Seiko SBQK085, Cyma Le Locle, Casio Oceanus OCW-S100-1AJF

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Well, to be totally fair, you should show the movements too. These are made by Piaget, not exactly a slouch.

Whether or not you consider RL a watchmaker is a fair discussion, but you have to admit these are pretty nice watches for a "fashion brand". I wonder if people asked the same questions 100 years ago when Cartier made a wristwatch for Albert Santos-Dumont?
    drhr, DocScotter, Mister X and 4 others like this.

If you think Ralph Lauren is a "questionable watchmaker" it is simply because you haven't done your due diligence to look at what they do. IT's a 50/50 joint venture with Richemont, with Ralph supplying the design and Richemont supplying the technical know-how to make superb watches. The movements are, in his high end pieces, well beyond reproach for the price point and the cases are subtly sophisticated.

If you simply don't like Ralph Lauren staring back at you from the dial, that I get.

The Western watches I don't much care for, but give me either of these and I'd be smitten.
    Name:  8307891_xxl.jpg
Views: 71
Size:  261.2 KB

Name:  Ralph-Lauren-Slim-Classique-38mm-white-gold-2.jpg
Size:  199.8 KB
    Last edited by MZhammer; September 21st, 2018 at 23:30.
    blacktuesday, drhr, EnderW and 4 others like this.
    Current Rotation:
    6 Keepers, 2 Rotators
    and a few guilty pleasures...

Dress Watches Casual Watches Sport Watches Rotators
    High A. Lange & Söhne 1815 Up/Down Audemars Piguet Royal Oak Chrono Rolex GMT Master II 16710 Breguet Classique Chronograph 3237
    Low Cartier Tank Basculante Heuer Carrera 1964 Re-Edition CS3111 Longines Legend Diver no-date Ralph Lauren Slim 867 White Gold

Instagram @mzhammer_wis

I like the look of the western watches, but even large watches are pretty small spaces to show off engraving. As to how "western" Ralph Lauren or the Brand are, he used to own a ranch that covered some of the best looking land in Colorado. It was located between Ouray and Telluride, right in front of Mt Sneffels. I doubt that he installed much fencing or shoveled much cow pucky, but he used to own a ranch.

Quote Originally Posted by MZhammer View Post
    If you think Ralph Lauren is a "questionable watchmaker" it is simply because you haven't done your due diligence to look at what they do. IT's a 50/50 joint venture with Richemont, with Ralph supplying the design and Richemont supplying the technical know-how to make superb watches. The movements are, in his high end pieces, well beyond reproach for the price point and the cases are subtly sophisticated.

If you simply don't like Ralph Lauren staring back at you from the dial, that I get.

The Western watches I don't much care for, but give me either of these and I'd be smitten.
    Name:  8307891_xxl.jpg
Size:  261.2 KB

Name:  Ralph-Lauren-Slim-Classique-38mm-white-gold-2.jpg
Size:  199.8 KB
    You are right I guess it’s a combination of more research needed and RL perception on my end. That’s said - holy crap that second watch is proportionally perfect!!!
    MZhammer likes this.

Thread Information