Introduction/Cool experience for a noob at an A.D. today

Thread: Introduction/Cool experience for a noob at an A.D. today

Introduction/Cool experience for a noob at an A.D. today

Hello All,

I created the post below on a site I created which has photos of watches that I like but it was taken down because it had a link to a self-published kids book I created, so I wanted to paste it in this section without the link to the site as a way to introduce myself to the forum and share my experience collecting since November.

All the best to everyone with their collections!

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________

It has been just over six weeks since I have become interested in most things horological. Towards the end of November, I purchased my first 'real' watch since I purchased a Swatch on Robson Street in Vancouver when I was in my teens. I went to Jared and purchased a Tissot PRC 200 Chronograph...and then like most new collectors I voraciously attacked websites and forums and realized that my purchase was not going to satiate my desires. My interest in Tissot came from a memory I had with my mom when we looked in a jewelry store in Calgary, Alberta and looked at some fine watches: they were Tissot's. From that point on, Tissot was a brand I held in high esteem. However, after doing more research, I realize that this watch does not necessarily fit much of my watch collecting criteria.

I created this site out of necessity. I found that having the watches I like in one place aids my ability to make decisions on future purchases. Although still a 'noob' in this hobby, I have come up with different styles of watches that I hope to have in my collection one day which include: Guilloche, GMT, Moonphase, Rose Gold, and Skeleton. I hope to amass a good resource that will aid in my future purchases as well as provide an overview of my collection as it progresses over the years.

Today I went into my local A.D. here in Portland where I have a Rolex ($1700 1959-1960 silver dial w/SS Bracelet) on layaway (now $802 remaining) when I just randomly asked if they had any catalogs that I could take home. I was given the Omega catalog, Omega Magazine, Breitling catalog, Breitling Magazine, Oris catalog, and the Longines catalog. Needless to say I will be in watch heaven for the next few days. I guess it never hurts to ask. For my next purchase, I am torn between the Omega Speedmaster, Omega Speedmaster Reduced, Sapphire Sandwhich and Omega Speedmaster Moonphase or Omega Speedmaster Planets. Will get to that later. Have to run now, the wife needs the laptop to look at the online Victorinox catalog...I believe she is beginning to get the watch bug as well. There is a used women's Seamaster that has been affectionately dubbed 'the baby Seamaster' by my wife at our A.D. which looks like will be the goal for her in the not too distant future!

Thanks for reading,

Ochonueve

Re: Introduction/Cool experience for a noob at an A.D. today

What was your interesting/cool experience? Obtaining the catalogs? The service you received?

Kindest Regards,
    Portauto
    Rotation: IWC Portuguese 5001-09 7-Day; Glashütte Original PanoReserve; Rolex Oyster 6480 (1955); TAG Heuer 2000 Professional
    Sold: Seiko MarineMaster SBDX001; Omega Seamaster Professional; Steinhart Nav.B-Uhr II B-Type; Wilson Pilot with Sea-Gull ST36
    Older: Tissot Visodate Heritage 1957; Sea-Gull 819.315; Citizen Promaster Navitach JQ8020-52L; Casio DBC-61 Databank Digital (first watch)
    Daily Wear: Apple Watch Series 4 Hermes 40mm
    My Wife's: Cartier Tank Solo W5200005; Apple Watch Series 4 GPS 40mm

welcome to the forum (and the madness),

that's great that your local AD was supportive and able to launch you deeper into the hobby ... though good or bad, that remains to be seen :)

but that's cool they're able to do that.

I remember going to a Breitling/Tag Heuer AD in Seoul with a friend, we browse, talk a bit and after we're done (didn't buy anything) they gave us a Breitling cap ~

I really do like ADs and wish for them to prosper

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Yeah, just receiving the catalogs and trying on all the watches. Probably nothing to most but I was impressed with the service and the money it must take to produce the quality catalogs.

Found a good AD and am going to stick with them (as long as their prices are within reach of the grey market)

Welcome to the forum! May the craziness keep you enthralled for many years to come!
    "The stuff that dreams are made of…" - RGM ‘801 EE Motor Barrel’

Thread Information