WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

The Invicta Bro

Tags
bro invicta
5K views 47 replies 31 participants last post by  WrnrG 
#1 · (Edited)
Today just so happens to be my birthday and since I turned 30 (32 today) I've decided to focus my collection to only one watch a year (difficult to stay on that path, but it helps me keep it focused and helps me save up throughout the year for the purchase). This year I purchased this lovely modernized Strela:

This got my girlfriend asking about watches and she told me that she would like me to show her how watches are made. That in turn led me to find some videos on YouTube, featuring the luxury watchmakers in Switzerland and Germany, which she thoroughly enjoyed, I even suggested giving her one of my vintage Vostok watches on a perlon strap (she's very tomboyish and prefers more utilitarian type stuff) and she was all for it.

But, as people are known to get lost in the link after link of suggested videos on YouTube I found this little gem that claimed to address the quality of Invicta watches:

Not really here to bash Invicta (that's just low hanging fruit) I just couldn't stop laughing at the guy once he said that Invicta is for men with personalities that win in life, not for loser weaklings (Rolex wearers apparently) that are afraid of the world and drive beat up old cars.

Just made the Invicta demographic very clear... The Jersey Shore Bro type. GYM, TAN, LAUNDRY. Invicta Bro.

Decided to give you guys a present on my birthday. Hope you enjoy as much as I did.

See less See more
1 2
#4 ·
I can see where you could think that. I did make mention of demographic, so I see your point, but I didn't say anything about the watches themselves. Was more regarding the guy in the video and his rant about real men wearing Invicta.

Yes, buy what you like. Invicta is not for me, mainly because I don't like the look and size of the watches, I don't bash on the quality or service history of the watch. I just thought this guy was funny as he rants about haters while bashing on those that hate on Invicta or Diesel or Nixon and the like.

More toward my point.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

#3 ·
Happy Birthday. This thread is bound to be a trainwreck.

The video was awful - clearly the guy measures watch value by weight and Invicta is one of best values per pound.
That said - if people enjoy them, more power to them. There are folks with different styles... I wound not wear one of those huge Invictas or a white baseball cap, but I understand that fashion style of others may differ. Many people would consider my style way boring and conservative - to each his own...

#6 ·
Happy Birthday. This thread is bound to be a trainwreck.

The video was awful - clearly the guy measures watch value by weight and Invicta is one of best values per pound.
That said - if people enjoy them, more power to them. There are folks with different styles... I wound not wear one of those huge Invictas or a white baseball cap, but I understand that fashion style of others may differ. Many people would consider my style way boring and conservative - to each his own...
I thought three times about posting this thread, but I had been gone from the forums for about a year and figured I might as well jump back into the fire feet first. Not that I'm trolling for a reaction. If that video had been about Seiko (probably start a bigger inferno) and the guy was saying the same things, I would've posted that also. It just so happened to be Invicta.

I needed to resist the temptation of seeing other watches that I wanted. An addict needs to stay away from triggers.

#7 ·
Ive owned 2 invictas, and neither of them were 'bad' watches. I had a 9937 sub homage, and it had the nicest bracelet ive ever owned. The issue I have with Inivicta is the exaggerated price claim. Its retail $2000, and you get it for a low low price of $200 today only. That hype has to stop. I dont think id ever buy another one because ive really started to like small manufacturers. I like wearing a watch that isnt in the 'know'. I wear a Bernhardt, and this guy wearing a $800 'Jared Jewelers' POS Bolivia says he just calls the jeweler to replace a missing watch (this is a true story) and then asks me what a Bernhardt is, I just gotta laugh a bit.
I wanna tell him hes getting ripped off, but you only give your friends advice.
If invicta lost the price claims, had much better customer service, sold their watches at reasonable manufac cost, and were honest, id probably buy again.

#9 ·
I'll say this. None of my Invictas ever broke. Many of my higher quality Swiss Made watches did break. As far as recommendations go, someone would have to have a love of watches and a lot of money before I would recommend a $3500.00 Omega before a $350.00 Invicta. Spending thousands on a watch is something I rarely recommend. Based on my experiences, I trust Invicta more than most kickstarter, crowndfunded, pre-ordered, limited edition, phoney laser etched caseback watch brands that show up on the forum. Invicta is a great starter watch and it makes me happy to see new enthusiasts able to enter this hobby at an inexpensive level.

I see your point on the Jersey shore demographics but being a Bro with an Invicta is no worse than being a schmo with a Rolex.

#12 ·
I'll say this. None of my Invictas ever broke. Many of my higher quality Swiss Made watches did break. As far as recommendations go, someone would have to have a love of watches and a lot of money before I would recommend a $3500.00 Omega before a $350.00 Invicta. Spending thousands on a watch is something I rarely recommend. Based on my experiences, I trust Invicta more than most kickstarter, crowndfunded, pre-ordered, limited edition, phoney laser etched caseback watch brands that show up on the forum. Invicta is a great starter watch and it makes me happy to see new enthusiasts able to enter this hobby at an inexpensive level.

I see your point on the Jersey shore demographics but being a Bro with an Invicta is no worse than being a schmo with a Rolex.
You make a great point. We all know how people on this forum feel about the snob with the Rolex on. And I like Rolex.

I've never owned an Invicta and I've made no mention about quality of the watches, I've never handled one. I've seen one. Bouncer at the bar I frequent had one, bough it the night before and while carding people to enter the bar, his watch just fell off his wrist. Spring bar failure. Watch still worked though. It wasn't one of those garish Invictas, although the bouncer wasn't a likable person.

#17 ·
His next video compares the Invicta Hydromax to a Rolex... "no comparison" is the insight. OP is right.

I agree with him that people should buy what they like, and he obviously is into watches, which is cool, but a strange style preference for sure.

160lbs and 5'7" That watch would look huge on him.

View attachment 7634298
Size matters a lot to this guy. Size of the watch is the only thing that should be considered when figuring the price of the watch.

#23 · (Edited)
FWIW: Yes, some of the new watches INVICTA peddles are indeed hideous and huge. They seem to be aimed at the younger crown; AND, it is true their initial retail value is greatly exaggerated. That said, for the more "basic" INVICTAS made, which appear to be homages to Rolex, these watches are quite reasonable in design, quality, function, and price. When I started out collecting watches, most of them were INVICTAS. Today, I've branched out but still find the more "traditional" ones (like the 8926) to really be attractive -- and rugged (I'm hard on watches). I have to agree with what has already been said: for the beginner, these INVICTAS are just right.

dave

#27 ·
Every brand of every thing has fanboys that depress the brand's value in the eyes of others. I've met Patek fans like that, so Invicta's not alone. Invicta just happens to be a brand that is more affordable to a larger portion of the population, so you're going to get more of them than for Patek. Invicta's general reputation amongst people here and "regular" people also lead to more louder and polarized comments about the brand.

#29 ·
The guy is clearly "inspired". Jokes aside, you find folks like this in every facet of society. Those who needvto justify that what they have is the best.

That said, I own far far too many watches (Seiko's, citizens, android, bulova, Hamilton....did I say Seiko?) and ironically, one of my regular/beaters is an invicta 8926

#30 ·
Some of you guys sound like snobs. So the guy likes Invicta watches and he's passionate about them? I thought that's what forums like these are supposed to be all about. And to straighten the record, he never criticized Rolex - he only said it's stupid to compare a $500 Invicta against s $5,000+ Rolex, which is exactly right.

#31 ·
Some of you guys sound like snobs. So the guy likes Invicta watches and he's passionate about them? I thought that's what forums like these are supposed to be all about. And to straighten the record, he never criticized Rolex - he only said it's stupid to compare a $500 Invicta against s $5,000+ Rolex, which is exactly right.
If I had a nickle...

#32 ·
I don't particularly care for his taste in watches, but I like how excited he is about them. I always like it when people are enthusiastic about the things they like.

And he seems like a nice guy as well, until he made fun of people who play video games anyways. At that point he can go play in traffic for all I care, although with watches like those, playing in traffic would be dangerous to the drivers ;-)

#33 ·
I don't particularly care for his taste in watches, but I like how excited he is about them. I always like it when people are enthusiastic about the things they like.

And he seems like a nice guy as well, until he made fun of people who play video games anyways. At that point he can go play in traffic for all I care, although with watches like those, playing in traffic would be dangerous to the drivers ;-)
He did what? He had better prepare from some inflammatory comments on his stupid youtube video. I hate video game bigots. Personally I am not a huge fan of invicta mainly because I don't like the gigantic logo and the sound of the name. Also bigger watches are better value for money because you are getting more stainless steel and if you have to you can sell them for scrap and make a fortune!

Really who cares about actual water resistance in a dive watch rated to 1000 meters plus? I feel its irrelevant and its all about the extra stainless steel. :)

#37 ·
That watch would be good on the dive portion, but when you actually have to get up? Good luck. Who dives with a lead weight strapped to them?

Reactions: justinkelley
#39 ·
So I watched some of his videos. I admit, when I knew nothing about watches, like absolutely nothing, I thought Invicta looked great for an automatic piece and cheap as well. Then I realized that most of their interesting designs would dwarf my 6.25 inch wrist. I do vaguely remember stumbling upon his videos when I was looking for reviews. While I do enjoy his enthusiasm about his watches, watching his more recent videos, I feel like he's defending himself and the brand too much. In all the videos I watched, he mentions the "haters" and how he has to delete the negative comments, calls them "morons". Like, if there was a punchline in all of his reviews, that's it, and it's such a shame, because other than that, he makes some informative reviews.

#42 ·
Invicta was my "gateway drug" into collecting watches. When I knew nothing about watches, I had already bought several large and yes, garish Invictas. I don't regret them, well maybe one but they led me to think seriously about watch collecting, various brands, designs and movements. They make quality pieces and my Invictas sit proudly next to my Oris, Hamiltons and Tissots. Would I buy another Invicta? Hmmmm...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.