Invicta watch bashing

Thread: Invicta watch bashing

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Invicta watch bashing

I was recently on another watch forum site, and was disappointed when a newcomers first post was unfairly bashing Invicta. I'm not the great savior or champion of Invicta watches, however, its truly unfair when watch collectors hastily compare manufacturers that are in different arenas. Car enthusiasts dont compare performance specifications between Mercedes Benz and KIA. As such, comparing Invicta with some of the companies like Rolex or Breitling is like comparing Apples and Oranges. Invicta's products are beautiful entry level watches that offer many different styles and choices for every collector out there. Everyone in our position (watch collectors/Enthusiasts) should refrain from bashing or prematurely judging what some collectors tenaciously defend..

Problem with analogy....

As far as I know, Kia's business practices aren't any worse than MB. Invicta is disliked, at least partly, for their habit of ripping off every new design in the book (practically) and for years of shoddy quality control and poor customer service. It's not snobbery. You'll find plenty of inexpensive lines of watches (like Seiko 5) are championed by the WIS community.

Re: Invicta watch bashing

Quote Originally Posted by Buddaman View Post
    As such, comparing Invicta with some of the companies like Rolex or Breitling is like comparing Apples and Oranges.
    There's nothing wrong with comparing Apples to Oranges :

Apples and Oranges -- A Comparison

by Scott A. Sandford, NASA Ames Research Center, Mountain View, California
    We have all been present at discussions (or arguments) in which one of the combatants attempts to clarify or strengthen a point by comparing the subject at hand with another item or situation more familiar to the audience or opponent. More often than not, this stratagem instantly results in the protest that "you're comparing apples and oranges!" This is generally perceived as being a telling blow to the analogy, since it is generally understood that apples and oranges cannot be compared. However, after being the recipient of just such an accusation, it occurred to me that there are several problems with dismissing analogies with the comparing apples and oranges defense. First, the statement that something is like comparing apples and oranges is a kind of analogy itself. That is, denigrating an analogy by accusing it of comparing apples and oranges is, in and of itself, comparing apples and oranges. More importantly, it is not difficult to demonstrate that apples and oranges can, in fact, be compared (see figure 1).

Figure 1. Granny Smith Apple and Sunkist Orange

Materials and Methods

Both samples were prepared by gently desiccating them in a convection oven at low temperature over the course of several days. The dried samples were then mixed with potassium bromide and ground in a small ball-bearing mill for two minutes. One hundred milligrams of each of the resulting powders were then pressed into a circular pellet having a diameter of 1 cm and a thickness of approximately 1 mm. Spectra were taken at a resolution of 1 cm-1 using a Nicolet 740 FTIR spectrometer. Figure 2 shows a comparison of the 4000-400 cm-1 (2.5-25 mm) infrared transmission spectra of a Granny Smith apple and a Sunkist Navel orange.

Figure. 2

Conclusions

Not only was this comparison easy to make, but it is apparent from the figure that apples and oranges are very similar. Thus, it would appear that the comparing apples and oranges defense should no longer be considered valid. This is a somewhat startling revelation. It can be anticipated to have a dramatic effect on the strategies used in arguments and discussions in the future.
    © Copyright 1995 Annals of Improbable Research (AIR)

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

haha well that was out of point

From Buddaman[its truly unfair when watch collectors hastily compare manufacturers that are in different arenas. ... As such, comparing Invicta with some of the companies like Rolex or Breitling is like comparing Apples and Oranges.]

My impression is that Invicta are the ones that try to compare themselves with the high end brands as their marketing strategy. "All the looks and features of a Rolex/Breitling/Omega/JLC without the cost."

I do not and have not ever owned an Invicta. Further, cannot foresee ever buying one. I would much rather buy the 'real thing', whether that is a Seiko (just bought 2) or a good Swiss brand.

BTW, I think Kia has done a GREAT job of stealing design ideas from the the European luxury manufacturers. They look great, but I won't buy one.
    Charlie

DeVille Prestige 4800.31.01
    Seamaster, 1961, Gold, Cal. 500
    Seamaster Pro 2231.80
    Speedmaster 3523.30
    Speedmaster Pro 3570.50

This topic is interesting because EVERY time I see a Invicta watch in person its practically calls my name. I think they are really good looking watches but I always hold back because of the things Ive heard here... and other reviews Ive read on the net.

I was just in TJM yesterday and there were a couple Invicta watches that were just plain gorgeous. Couldnt pull the trigger though... dont think I ever will. There are far better watches for $100-$200-$300.
    - Nick

Cars or Watches... that is the question!

Something else we should remember as watch collectors is that Invicta is a brand that gets many people started on watch collecting.

I for one started by replacing a Fossil with an Invicta, because I wanted an automatic, and it seemed a good value (and it has been a good value). The quality of the Invicta was so far above the Fossil for a reasonable price, I was amazed. I said to myself: "Wow, I didn't know I could get a watch this nice for $100. I wonder what else is out there?" Next thing you know...

I know I'm not the only one who Invicta helped launch down this road. As collectors, we should be thankful to Invicta for introducing people to our hobby. If I had uncovered all of the bashing before I bought, I probably would have ended up with another cheap quartz and never known about all of the other wonderful stuff out there.

We should be saying to ourselves: "Invicta's low investment in service and QA is part of what allows them to build watches at price points that are enticing to non-WIS. Those watches help expand and enrichen our hobby."
    Todd H
    "Ticking away, the moments that make up a dull day..." - Pink Floyd
    Disclaimer: The contents of this post are solely the well-meant ramblings of its author, and any resemblance to fact, intelligent thought, or even educated opinion is purely coincidental.

Keepers: Omega Seamster Pro, Fortis B-42, Eterna Super Kontiki, Ball DM1012B, DJR Chronoscope, Ocean7 LM-1LE, Seiko 6105, Seiko SKZ214

Quote Originally Posted by Buddaman View Post
    I was recently on another watch forum site, and was disappointed when a newcomers first post was unfairly bashing Invicta. ..........should refrain from bashing or prematurely judging what some collectors tenaciously defend..
    You should have quoted some of the unfair bashing.
    Having said that I have read a few replies and must agree that Invicta (like almost every other manufacturer) has a number of issues against them.
    If my livehood was coming from Timex - I would say that it is the best watch (brand) ever made. Unfortunately this seems to be the tedency and it is very difficult to be biased. I sell what customers want but only get p. off when it is the manufacturer that is actually taking the piss - mainly due to their high prices and average quality but also - recently - thanks to very greedy policies.

I know i'm new here but i like Invicta's wristwatches. Keep in mind if you pay $80 for a watch with a auto movement ,you get what you pay for. When you pay $300-500 for a Invicta pro diver SE you get a swiss made watch with a swiss made Sellita sw200 movement. When you spend $1,500-$3000 on an Invicta you geta swiss made watch with some sort of swiss ETA movement. With a fit and finish that's great. It may not be exactly the same as the big names ,but your not paying the same money.

Check out Invicta's new flagship model : Sabaqua Noma III

Quote Originally Posted by ANas View Post
    [snip] It (Invicta) may not be exactly the same as the big names ,but your not paying the same money.
    Exactly! In order to produce the watches they produce at the price they do, something has to give. For Invicta that "Something" seems to be the customer service and QA departments. Some people are willing to make the trade, some aren't.
    Todd H
    "Ticking away, the moments that make up a dull day..." - Pink Floyd
    Disclaimer: The contents of this post are solely the well-meant ramblings of its author, and any resemblance to fact, intelligent thought, or even educated opinion is purely coincidental.

Keepers: Omega Seamster Pro, Fortis B-42, Eterna Super Kontiki, Ball DM1012B, DJR Chronoscope, Ocean7 LM-1LE, Seiko 6105, Seiko SKZ214

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information