Invisible tourbillons?

Thread: Invisible tourbillons?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Invisible tourbillons?

Hi all, I have a question, would any of you be willing, should the funds permit, to buy a tourbillon watch where the toubillon is not visible? Eg...patek...lange..
    Personally if i was ever to buy a tourbillon (which i can pretty much guarantee will never happen) id want to be able to watch it spinning around on my wrist...otherwise i dont see the point. Anybody else feel this way? I appreciate the beauty of langes new tourbillon perpetual calender...its truly stunning...but the fun of the tourby is all but lost only being able to see it through the caseback....or are tourbys boring to look at after the first week???
    Cheers all!
    Baume & Mercier Classima Executives 8875
    Omega Seamaster Chronograph Diver
    Tag Heuer Aquaracer quartz
    Seiko 5 Military
    Seiko 5 circa 1970s
    Baume & Mercier vintage
    Edox Supra vintage circa 1960s

WnS

Re: Invisible tourbillons?

I quite agree, a tourbillon escapement that's hidden under the dial is like plating a solid gold watch with steel.
    I'm content with my watch collection

Under the dial might be a tad too "understated" but doesn't Panerai has a tourbillion only visible thru the display caseback?

I love as the tourbillion articulation as much as the next guy but for some sport watch the dial must remain highly readable/simple.(Example: chrono on diver)

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Knowing it's there, doing what it needs to without spoiling the lines of the watch, might well be enough for some people. It would for me.
    --------------------------------------------------
    Rolex Oyster Perpetual 116000
    1965 Accurist Shockmaster
    1961 Gold Accurist Shockmaster
    Seiko SSC021P1
    Omega Speedmaster Professional 3570.50.00

Meistersinger Perigraph AM1002
    G-Shock GW3000B-1A

Rolex Submariner 14060M
    Ben Sherman S489.OOBS
    1990 Rotary Gold Case

If you look on eBay there is an outfit that auctions off tourbillons starting at 99US¢. The lat auction sold for US$440 or so. They are Minorva. Not sure of the quality, but that is quite affordable.
    Victorinox Swiss Army Officer
    Bulova Precisionist
    Seiko 5
    Seiko 007
    Deep Blue T25
    Vostok
    Orient Quartz Chronograph
    Sturmanskie

Quote Originally Posted by scada
    If you look on eBay there is an outfit that auctions off tourbillons starting at 99US¢. The lat auction sold for US$440 or so. They are Minorva. Not sure of the quality, but that is quite affordable.
    Yeah, id probably rather seek the services of a prostitute to tell me the time, but yes i know there are cheap non swiss tourbillons out there.
    Baume & Mercier Classima Executives 8875
    Omega Seamaster Chronograph Diver
    Tag Heuer Aquaracer quartz
    Seiko 5 Military
    Seiko 5 circa 1970s
    Baume & Mercier vintage
    Edox Supra vintage circa 1960s

Quote Originally Posted by scada View Post
    Somehow this doesn't seem responsive to the original post...

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeSport View Post
    Knowing it's there, doing what it needs to without spoiling the lines of the watch, might well be enough for some people. It would for me.
    The reality is that a tourbillon is an archaic complication that does little to actually improve the accuracy of a watch. Okay, I'm aware that the entire concept of a mechanical watch is somewhat archaic as well, but the tourbillon was intended to mitigate the effect of a constant direction of gravity in pocket watches, which were inserted into a waist pocket at a fixed orientation relative to the direction of gravity, and this is not really an issue that is relevant to wrist watches.

There is however an interesting alternative to the tourbillon is the Cartier Rotonde Astroregulateur, which is actually the exact opposite of the tourbillon, since it is constructed to ensure that the main time regulating parts of the watch maintain a fixed orientation with respect to gravity, and then regulating the watch so that it exhibits good performance in that fixed orientation.

HH Journal: Cartier proposes an ingenious alternative to the tourbillon - SIHH 2011 - News - news from the world of watchmaking and luxury watches - Fondation de la Haute Horlogerie

So, for me, the purpose of a tourbillon on a wrist watch is to be seen, and while I would be okay having it only visible through a display caseback, having it totally hidden is a bit silly.
    Last edited by mleok; March 24th, 2012 at 19:41.

Patek Philippe Calatrava 5119J; Vacheron Constantin Overseas; Jaeger-LeCoultre Grande Reverso Duo; Rolex Submariner 114060; Omega Seamaster 300; Montblanc Heritage Dual Time; Tudor Black Bay, Black Bay GMT.

Armida A12; Borealis Estoril; Bulova Accutron II Alpha, Moonwatch; Casio GMW-B5000D, GW-5000, GST-W310; Coach Fulton; Halios Seaforth Bronze; Hamilton Khaki Field; Helson Skindiver; Ming 17.06; Nomos Tangente 35; Orient 60th Anniversary; Seagull Tourbillon, 1963 Air Force; Seiko SNA089P; Silver Archetype One; Steinhart OVM; Swatch Body and Soul, Heracles, Uncle Charly; Victorinox Alliance, Infantry Vintage.

I would actually not buy a Tourbillon watch unless it was hidden. With that said, I would only buy a Tourby watch if it was visible through the caseback.

Quote Originally Posted by JoshTheCanadian View Post
    I would actually not buy a Tourbillon watch unless it was hidden. With that said, I would only buy a Tourby watch if it was visible through the caseback.
    Same here! Never been a fan of skeleton or "open heart" dials, and even if it was a tourbillon ticking away I would not really want to see it when checking the time.
    Cheers,
    Mike

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information