Irritation when you show an expensive swiss watch to someone and the answer is
Like Tree210Likes

Thread: Irritation when you show an expensive swiss watch to someone and the answer is

Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Irritation when you show an expensive swiss watch to someone and the answer is

How many of us have faced such cases when we get an expensive swiss watch to someone
    and the answer is "I haven't heard about this brand before".

Happened a lot of time to my Oris complication... Sob Sob

Instead, they were fascinated by an automatic fossil. LOL!!

Re: Irritation when you show an expensive swiss watch to someone and the answer is

I'm sure it has happened, but it's not really a surprise (or anything worth me getting annoyed about). When I think about the watches I now own I wonder how many brands I had heard of 10 years ago.
    Brad (@bradwatch)
    - appreciating fine affordable watches since 2011

Re: Irritation when you show an expensive swiss watch to someone and the answer is

Quote Originally Posted by Bradjhomes View Post
    I'm sure it has happened, but it's not really a surprise (or anything worth me getting annoyed about). When I think about the watches I now own I wonder how many brands I had heard of 10 years ago.
    Warning Somewhat OT :

I had not heard of Steinhart, Helson or Orient even 5 years ago, now I own at least one of each and 5 years ago.

I think it says more about the marketing budget for the brand, more so than the person making the statement about the brand.

As for the fossil fascination, they do make mass appeal watches. That is their goal in life.
    teatimecrumpet likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I actually welcome it. Gives me a chance to educate someone about my hobby, although I try to keep it to 30 seconds to avoid boring the person. Of course, if he encourages me, I'll go on.

...and on.

I'm actually more irritated when I wear what to me is a grail watch and it's ignored by everyone!
    Last edited by Stoshman; July 21st, 2015 at 15:56.

I owned most of the usual mid tier luxury watch brands at one point or another usually the g shocks and bright colored beaters are the ones that people like. Even my Panerai and Rolex got a handful of comments over the years.... Nothing new
    Drumguy4all, busmatt and 41Mets like this.

It doesn't irritate me when someone doesn't know the brand of watch I am wearing. I understand that unless that person is a fellow WIS they will only have heard of Rolex as an expensive watch and then Timex,Casio and the crap brands like Fossil etc. More people notice my MDV 106 over any of my watches. I don't wear watches with the intention of other people knowing I spent more than a reasonable amount of money on them, I wear them for me.
    Last edited by Drumguy4all; July 21st, 2015 at 15:56.
    Sinn 556 I
    Steinhart OVM New
    Hamilton Khaki Field Mechanical
    Citizen Brycen Chronograph
    Traser H3 Officer Pro
    1924 Elgin Pocket Watch
    G Shock G-100 1-BV
    Timex Weekender
    Casio World Time
    Casio Diver

This is going to happen with most of the brands we like. Unless it is one of the truly mainstream companies, such as Tag, Rolex, Omega, or the fashion brands...you are probably not going to get any brand recognition from people on the street (not in the US, anyway). I was at a wedding in October wearing a Blancpain, nobody noticed my watch all day, except a gentleman who was visiting from Switzerland. He recognized my watch as we stood at the bar and struck up a conversation. It was a pleasant surprise, and it was nice to see his admiration for a fine watch.

But in the normal situation, I dont mind mind it at all. As Stoshman said, it gives you a chance to tell them about the watch and the story behind it.

lol... Outside of this "horological bubble" that is WatchUSeek folk don't give much creedence to wristwatches. Oftentimes, the strap is what catches the attention, if ever, when I'm complimented about my timepieces....rarely the watch itself.
    Saphire crystals, automatic movements, solid end-links? Superluminova?!? This is the wonky language of the "watch nerd"...in which we're fluent. But, the general public largely ignorant...
    Sometimes, we give our passions more "gravity" than they actually have. xD

Banned

No irritation. I don't flaunt expensive watches, but appreciate anyone's interest in learning about them if they notice and comment.
    vfp16 and Drumguy4all like this.

Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread Information