It's all your fault
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: It's all your fault

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

It's all your fault

Hi everyone! I'm a long time lurker with just a few feedback posts. I decided it was time to let you all know that I blame my watch addiction on all of the members here who have posted their opinions, photos, and information about so many great timepieces. Well, I suppose I already had it in me, but reading your posts sure helped to wake up that sleeping giant. It's good to know that at WUS, I'll never have to explain why more than one (or two, or three, ...) watch is necessary.

To keep myself in check, I set two rules for what I buy:

1. One watch per brand
    2. Color combination of case, dial, bezel, and primary strap cannot be repeated

Despite these limitations, I've managed to amass a modest collection, although it's getter harder with each one I buy. Oris in particular has stymied me for some time because I'm drawn to so many of their offerings.

I was wondering if others have similar restrictions they employ?

Whether or not I can actually blame you for my problem, thanks for sharing! It's nice to know I'm not alone.

Regards,
    wfan
    Craggles and ilitig8 like this.

Banned

Re: It's all your fault

My only restriction was to get only 1 of a strap + dial color combination for both dress and sport. So not much of a limit. Now my restriction is simply the thought that as I am leaving this hobby I do not need to buy another watch. Only when you are free from WUS you can cure this infection.
    Last edited by Veda; December 29th, 2015 at 02:30.

Infection indeed!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Welcome to the forums. Yes it is addictive and enabling here. Read enough WRUW threads and see your collection swell to double-digits :)
    I don't have any restrictions except that the watch has to be interesting (whether horologically significant, technically advanced, historic, or just plain beautiful) to me.
    "I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it." George Bernard Shaw
    "Don?t argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience" Greg King
    ?Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.? Mark Twain
    "The problem with quotes found on the Internet is that it's hard to be sure of their authenticity." Abraham Lincoln
    "A Rose by any other name will smell as sweet. But it does not follow that whatever we choose to call a Rose will possess the Rose's fragrance." BB Warfield

I do have a similar restriction. mainly on the one watch per brand thing. another is no watch with moving bezel, which mean I'll never buy a diver or a GMT with moving bezel. and then of course, there are other things like case size, weight and color and so on but those things can be easily compromised compared to the first two main restrictions.

One watch per brand is totally unrealistic.

Some brands are so tremendously inspiring that to limit yourself to only one example is self deprivation at a chronically malignant level.

OkeefenokeeJoe
    Last edited by OkeefenokeeJoe; December 29th, 2015 at 03:37.

Maybe you should leave Rolex alone before breaking your own rules :P... Submariner, DateJust, Explorer I & II, Daytona, GMT, Day-Date are all very classic everlasting designs.

This should be your one and only rule:

Buy any watch you truly love (regardless of brand, style, movement, etc.) if you can afford it and it makes you smile.
    wwarren, PYLTN, mannal and 1 others like this.

Try to limit myself to buying at most one watch per year. Limit myself according to movement type, style of watch, and dial color. I got quartz with alarm and chronograph, mechanical, solar with perpetual calendar, kinetic (Auto Relay, Direct Drive, the regular kind), so can't justify unless it's Spring Drive or HAQ. Got dressy, diver, sporty. Got white, black, champagne, blue (of various shades) dial color. Mostly just enjoying what I got and I try not to deliberately infect others.
    Last edited by rdoder; December 29th, 2015 at 05:37.

Banned
    I made the biggest mistake by buying one of these. Now I have to go fill it up. Learn from my mistake!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information