It's okay to wind my Speedy this way...right?
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Doodler

Thread: It's okay to wind my Speedy this way...right?

It's okay to wind my Speedy this way...right?

I've seen a few guys on Youtube wind their Speedys by simply running their finger along the bottom of the crown, one-handed. Since the crown is pushed all the way in, there's no chance of wonking up the stem...right?

Has this question been asked, like, 2,000 times so far?! Sorry if that's the case!

I do have to say that it is a slick way to wind the watch, and can be done very easily by bending my hand down at the wrist, which exposes the crown enough to accomplish the one-handed wind.

Okay, ONE more question, and I know this one has been answered countless times, but please indulge me: I don't have to wind my Speedy all the way to the stop, right? I've been giving at about 40 or so one-handers and avoid winding to the stop. I know it doesn't hurt the watch at all to wind to the stop, but should I do it regularly?

Ducking and running...seriously, answers would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks a bunch,

Dan
    Dan

Omega Speedmaster 3570.50 Moonwatch, Seiko SRP777 Turtle Re-issue, Tudor Sub, Orient Bambino (gave to #1 son!), Seiko SRP701 ('Poor man's GS), Vosktok blue Scuba Dude, Zodiac ZO9200 Sea Wolf '53, Seiko SNZG13 field watch,

Previously loved...Speedy day/date, Speedy MKII, Speedy Reduced, Speedy f300 Seamaster, Speedy Dynamic chronograph, Tudor Heritage Black Bay, Helson Sharkmaster, Armida A-3, Hamilton Khaki Mechanical, Seiko Recraft, Bulova Accutron II Moonview. Zodiac V-Wolf, Sandoz Explorer, Sandoz President, Sandoz "Air King", Doxa 1200T, Squale 50 atmos, Precista PRS-14, Precista PRS-3, Benrus Commemorative, Marathon Navigator, CWC Royal Navy Auto, Raven Vintage, Seiko 6309-7040, Orient Producer, Citizen Eco-zilla, Seiko Soxa mod, Zeno 300m diver, Armida A6, Orsa Pro Diver, O&W Pilot, O&W M-4, O&W M-1, Debaufre Ocean 1...
    Lots more...gotta think more on this!

Banned

Re: It's okay to wind my Speedy this way...right?

Yes, you can "wonk up the stem" or even "bugger off the crown" (is that correct terminology for break it off?) winding the watch while on your wrist. Spend the extra 3 seconds taking it off so you don't out too much pressure from one direction on it.

Yes, you can wind it less than fully but why would do that? The watch is regulated to keep better time from fully wound.
    lvt likes this.

Hey, thanks, Doodler! So...based on what you say, my watch would naturally lose time between windings if not fully wound, correct? Oh, and the crown isn't pulled out or unscrewed with a Speedy when you wind it, and the crown sits in there very solidly while you wind it.

Dan
    Dan

Omega Speedmaster 3570.50 Moonwatch, Seiko SRP777 Turtle Re-issue, Tudor Sub, Orient Bambino (gave to #1 son!), Seiko SRP701 ('Poor man's GS), Vosktok blue Scuba Dude, Zodiac ZO9200 Sea Wolf '53, Seiko SNZG13 field watch,

Previously loved...Speedy day/date, Speedy MKII, Speedy Reduced, Speedy f300 Seamaster, Speedy Dynamic chronograph, Tudor Heritage Black Bay, Helson Sharkmaster, Armida A-3, Hamilton Khaki Mechanical, Seiko Recraft, Bulova Accutron II Moonview. Zodiac V-Wolf, Sandoz Explorer, Sandoz President, Sandoz "Air King", Doxa 1200T, Squale 50 atmos, Precista PRS-14, Precista PRS-3, Benrus Commemorative, Marathon Navigator, CWC Royal Navy Auto, Raven Vintage, Seiko 6309-7040, Orient Producer, Citizen Eco-zilla, Seiko Soxa mod, Zeno 300m diver, Armida A6, Orsa Pro Diver, O&W Pilot, O&W M-4, O&W M-1, Debaufre Ocean 1...

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Why not pull the crown out while it's still on your wrist and give a twirl? I can't imagine a watch that's been to the moon is going to be affected just by doing that (unless of course you straighten out your wrist and put pressure on the crown) . . . no?
    Wishlist:

-Blancpain Villeret Moonphase
    -Glashutte Original Senator Perpetual
    -Hamilton
    Khaki Field
    -Omega Planet Ocean

swo

The risk of snapping the stem is greater with this method. On a Speedmaster, not historically too much of an issue but why take the risk?

lvt

Quote Originally Posted by 7Pines View Post
    So...based on what you say, my watch would naturally lose time between windings if not fully wound, correct?

Yes you are correct, it's a known fact that mechanical watches run more consistently during the first 24 hours of a full power reserve (usually 38-44 hours), but it's hardly noticeable.
    Ball - Casio (G-shock) - HMT - Longines - Parnis - Seagull - Steinhart - Tissot - Victorinox - Yema

Check this thread out:

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f20/joi...on-641211.html

This was my response, and the technique that I use:

Quote Originally Posted by Raza View Post
    Try this method:

1. Take the watch off your wrist (you can do it with it on with this method, but it's easier off, especially if you're not used to it).
    2. Place your thumb on top of the crown, tangent to the case.
    3. Place your index finger, inside facing up, on the bottom of the crown.
    4. Apply slight pressure.
    5. Slowly move your thumb away from your body while simultaneously moving your index finger towards your body.

That's how I wind mine. I never did the pinch and turn thing.
    TAG Heuer Monaco LE|Omega Speedmaster|Seamaster 300MC|Rolex Submariner|Tudor Ranger

How did it get so late so soon?

All right, all right already! Jeesh! I've owned many manuals over the years and saw one guy on youtube wind his Speedy only with his index finger on the bottom of the side of the case. Seemed like a slick way of doing it, but I concur that, for the safety of my beloved Speedy, I will indeed use the standard thumb-on-top-finger-on-bottom method.

BTW, after a few weeks of owning this watch, I've come to the conclusion that it is the coolest watch ever! I'm going to purchase a 1998/849 bracelet for it later this month, and also have a lightly pebbled black leather NATO on the way. Should be awesome. This watch looks awesome worn a number of ways.

Thanks for the input, my watch brothas...

Dan
    Dan

Thread Information