I've got a wallet to burn -- help me decide: The battle of the 1kish range

View Poll Results: Which one would you choose and why?

Voters
60. This poll is closed
  • MKII Nassau

7 11.67%
  • SBBN013 Darth Tuna

10 16.67%
  • Sinn 856 non-UTC

12 20.00%
  • Frogman GWF-1000

2 3.33%
  • Lock up that wallet and save for a Nomos/Grand Seiko

32 53.33%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: I've got a wallet to burn -- help me decide: The battle of the 1kish range

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Off Topic post I've got a wallet to burn -- help me decide: The battle of the 1kish range

I generally don't post help me decide threads, but I've got the itch to buy another piece again. The four watches are all very different from one another.
    I understand that for the most part the decision process is highly subjective, but I still want to hear what you guys would do in my situation.
    For about a year now, I've dabbled in G-shocks and have been content with my collection -- satisfied. But the itch is back after lying dormant for so long.

MKII Nassau: I've checked this piece out in the past. Although most homages don't do it for me, I would accept this piece because it pays tribute to a model that's no longer in production. The MKII watches also have quite a following for being hand assembled and tested for accuracy. The downside? Looong waiting time for assembly and shipping, upwards of 20 weeks.

Name:  NASSAU_4.jpg
Views: 676
Size:  216.2 KB

SBBN013 "Darth Tuna": Most people won't get this one, but I've always been a Seiko nut. I own a 015 Tuna that I like a lot. The Darth Tuna, for the price of around 1.5k, is a beast of a tool watch with a quartz movement designed for use in harsh diving environments. The downside? Might be too large for my wrist, though Tuna's seem to wear small.

Name:  691423-fs-seiko-darth-tuna-sbbn013.jpg
Views: 644
Size:  34.2 KB

Sinn 856 non-UTC: I became a Sinner last year when I got the 556i. Awesome little watch. I appreciate the 856's clean display and legible markers. The dehumidifying technology is icing on cake. With a 40mm case diameter, it would be the ideal size for my 6.5" wrist. The downside? Aside from a smudgy crystal, none that I can think of.

Name:  310952-fs-sinn-856-non-utc-pristine-condition.jpg
Views: 640
Size:  33.7 KB

Frogman GWF1000: The oddball of the bunch. It's not pretty, it's not subtle, and it's a G-shock. I think this piece is pretty badass, pardon my 'Merican. The Frogman in particular has a stainless steel case unlike most G-shocks manufactured today. I like these digital watches and I own a bunch now. Downside: It's expensive for a G-shock and massive. I've read that many say it's the most uncomfortable of the Frogman line.

Name:  gwf10005001.jpg
Views: 643
Size:  45.9 KB

Thoughts on these pieces? I'm leaning toward either the SBBN013 or the 856 with the Nassau trailing close. Help push me in any direction!

Feel free to toss in other suggestions to make things more confusing. :D
    Last edited by Ottovonn; May 19th, 2014 at 05:49.
    Just your average Japanese watch fan: Casio, Citizen, Seiko

View my collection **here**

View my feedback by clicking **here**

Your friendly neighborhood enabler,

Otto

Re: I've got a wallet to burn -- help me decide: The battle of the 1kish range

I would personally take the Sinn, but in the price range I am partial to the Oris Aquis a brand you don't have and several color options.
    valmak likes this.

I like the Sinn most. Have you taken a look at Damasko? That's where I'd be headed if I were in your shoes.
    valmak likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I would get a brand new Longines Hydroconquest or a second hand Breitling Colt or Superocean.

Nassau's the nicest of the bunch, otherwise wait for the Nomos/GS . . .
    A.Lange & Sohne * Audemars Piguet * Blancpain * Cartier * Dornblueth & Sohne * Invicta * Jaeger-LeCoultre * Meraud * Rolex * Revolution Watch Company * Tiffany & Company * Tudor

"the deeper the roots, the higher the reach" - author unknown

Yesterday I was clever, so I wanted to change the world. Today I am wise, so I am changing myself. - Rumi

Of those the Sinn. Damasko or a STOWA hand wind flieger as other options.

I'd save, mainly because well, GS/Nomos :)

I'm voting for the Sinn. Best looking out of the bunch. Over engineered.

I'd personally choose the Sinn but if I already had a 556i I'd probably consider the Tuna, or something else entirely.

Quote Originally Posted by Noam the Newt View Post
    I like the Sinn most. Have you taken a look at Damasko? That's where I'd be headed if I were in your shoes.
    Yes sir.
    Enjoying a life far better than I deserve...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information