IWC 3531

Thread: IWC 3531

IWC 3531

I'm thinking of buying my wife an IWC 3531 (small Portuguese) and picking up a Portuguese 7-day for myself. What do you think about the IWC 3531? Your opinion is greatly appreciated.

Re: IWC 3531

Hello! A few, quick thoughts: I do not have first-hand experience ( i.e., working on / owning ) with the IWC you're considering; I do own & have worked on ( as a hobby ) a 1940's IWC, Caliber 89---it's really quite nice!; my 'guess' is that current IWC's might well be described as "an acquired taste"...that is to say, they can be rather pricey and ( from what I've seen on a few internet videos of their internal construction and finish ), not as finely wrought as one might expect vis a vis the earlier Calibers, but ,still a Fine Quality Swiss watch. I've long felt that IWC provides mechanical's that are about as good as possible...they may or may not be as finely finished as some, but, I'll bet that when IWC designs and makes its' own movements, the parts fit together to absolutely World-Class standards.

I'm a big admirer of the 3531. Only slight complaint is the embossed versus applied numerals. But it's a beautiful watch that will probably wear similarly on her wrist at its 35mm size as the 7 day will on yours. The JLC 891 inside completes a great overall package.

A few pics from the Internet for those unfamiliar with the watch.

Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 252
Size:  168.7 KB

Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 250
Size:  58.0 KB

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

3531 is a wonderful dress watch. At 35mm diameter, I'd happily wear it myself (same size as Nomos Ludwig I'm looking at, or GS manual wind I'm considering).
    Assuming you get one in good condition, and the wife understands what's involved w an automatic watch ownership (PR, winding, service) I would say go for it.
    PS. This way you can also borrow it from her for formal occasions...

Quote Originally Posted by EnderW View Post
    you can also borrow it from her for formal occasions...
    Thats if she'll let you
    Bulova> 96B251. Casio> 5600E. Damasko> DS30. GrandSeiko> SBGH205. Rolex> 114060, 16710. Seiko> SARB017, SARB033, SBDX017, SLA017.

Quote Originally Posted by amhtsai View Post
    I'm thinking of buying my wife an IWC 3531 (small Portuguese) and picking up a Portuguese 7-day for myself. What do you think about the IWC 3531? Your opinion is greatly appreciated.
    Love the 3531, I wish IWC would release a newer version of a Portuguese in around that size, with in-house movement.

thanks for the reply everyone. i managed to find one in decent condition. just need a new strap. hopefully my wife appreciates watches as much as I do.

Quote Originally Posted by amhtsai View Post
    thanks for the reply everyone. i managed to find one in decent condition. just need a new strap. hopefully my wife appreciates watches as much as I do.
    Do you have an idea? Hopefully she has given you some kind of indication to the positive, good luck!
    A.Lange & Sohne * Audemars Piguet * Blancpain * Cartier * Dornblueth & Sohne * Invicta * Jaeger-LeCoultre * Meraud * Rolex * Revolution Watch Company * Tudor

"the deeper the roots, the higher the reach" - author unknown

Yesterday I was clever, so I wanted to change the world. Today I am wise, so I am changing myself. - Rumi

She's mentioned she wanted a relative simple and thin watch like a Daniel Wellington one. So hopefully when I present it to her she would like it.

Thread Information