IWC Mark XVII vs Bremont Solo
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: IWC Mark XVII vs Bremont Solo

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

IWC Mark XVII vs Bremont Solo

Hi everyone!

Lets do this a little different :)

If you were to choose between these two watches, which one wouldn't you buy, and why?

I've been eye balling these two pieces for quite some time now and it's time to pull the trigger.

Pics from the web

IWC Mark XVII

Name:  6719815719_28cdf4b879_z.jpg
Views: 2042
Size:  93.8 KB

Bremont Solo

Name:  Bremont-BC-Solo-9.jpg
Views: 1057
Size:  68.8 KB

Thanks in advance!

Banned

Re: IWC Mark XVII vs Bremont Solo

IWC due to support/service availability. Looks are comparable.

That hokey pose of the Bremont is worse than upside down.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Wouldn't buy the Bremont because it's not as good looking and it wears bigger on my wrist.

Bremont. Just the name itself is nowhere near IWC. The rest becomes secondary... :)

As long as we're being negative...

Things about the Bremont I DON'T like:
    -The hands. One of my least favorite interpretations of pilot style hands on an obviously pilot themed watch. The hour hand is fine, but the minute hand looks stolen from a Stowa Prodiver
    -Minute markers on the chapter ring. Simply not a departure from the traditional pilot dial that I'm fond of.
    -PVD on the case sides. I'm not a big fan of watches with black cases, but I think I'd rather have all PVD than this.
    -The three piece case. It looks cool, but I can't help but think of three piece wheels. Great look, higher weight, increased inherent weakness.
    -The price. A young watch company, in my opinion, should be more aggressive on price than this. It's a printed dial and an ETA movement, without the anti magnetic and shock resistant features of other Bremont watches. I realize the case is high tech and super hardened, but I'd still argue that there is less quantifiable value in this $4k watch than my $1k Damasko. If the Solo were Bremont's entry level offering at under $2k the watch would make more sense to me, and I have a hard time believing that Bremont would not still be turning a profit on them.

Now for the IWC:
    -The date window. I appreciate the functionality (if the date is blocked by the minute hand it can still be quickly and easily determined), but I don't like the way it looks. It's more acceptable to my eye on the busier Chrono models than the otherwise clean three hander.
    -The 12 o'clock triangle. Make it look like it did 70 years ago IWC, please and thanks.
    -Lack of additional shock resistance. Just something I like to see in casual/sporty watches at this price point.
    -No display back. I consider it a positive for the Bremont, so it's a negative here. Please feel free to point out the anti-magnetic inner case preventing a visible movement so I can bring up Damasko again...

If you sat the two in front of me I'd probably have to pick the IWC. I'm a bit of a pilot purist and there are too many aesthetic issues for me with the Bremont.

While we're still being negative I'll add that if its my money I'd have a really hard time buying the IWC with brands like Stowa, Archimede, and Laco out there offering 90% of the watch for less than 20% of the money.
    Last edited by AustinOX; May 12th, 2014 at 10:35.
    I got a standing desk, so now I need a pilot watch...

Well said AustinOX.

I wouldn't buy the IWC because I don't think it offers enough (especially aesthetically) over other pilot-style watches that are orders of magnitude less expensive. Looks like every other flieger out there, and to me, the price jump is pretty much just for the brand name. I'm perfectly happy with my Stowa Airman. There are plenty of IWC models that I would consider (I own an Aquatimer), but the Mark series doesn't sing to me.
    pepcr1 likes this.
    @watchalefty on Instagram

Glashutte Original PanomaticLunar, H. Moser & Cie Pioneer, Zenith Captain Winsor, Breitling Navitimer
    , Zenith 36'000 VPH, Habring2 Foudroyante, IWC Ingenieur 3239, Nomos Metro 38, Omega Planet Ocean

Quote Originally Posted by AustinOX View Post
    As long as we're being negative...

Things about the Bremont I DON'T like:
    -The hands. One of my least favorite interpretations of pilot style hands on an obviously pilot themed watch. The hour hand is fine, but the minute hand looks stolen from a Stowa Prodiver
    -Minute markers on the chapter ring. Simply not a departure from the traditional pilot dial that I'm fond of.
    -PVD on the case sides. I'm not a big fan of watches with black cases, but I think I'd rather have all PVD than this.
    -The three piece case. It looks cool, but I can't help but think of three piece wheels. Great look, higher weight, increased inherent weakness.
    -The price. A young watch company, in my opinion, should be more aggressive on price than this. It's a printed dial and an ETA movement, without the anti magnetic and shock resistant features of other Bremont watches. I realize the case is high tech and super hardened, but I'd still argue that there is less quantifiable value in this $4k watch than my $1k Damasko. If the Solo were Bremont's entry level offering at under $2k the watch would make more sense to me, and I have a hard time believing that Bremont would not still be turning a profit on them.

Now for the IWC:
    -The date window. I appreciate the functionality (if the date is blocked by the minute hand it can still be quickly and easily determined), but I don't like the way it looks. It's more acceptable to my eye on the busier Chrono models than the otherwise clean three hander.
    -The 12 o'clock triangle. Make it look like it did 70 years ago IWC, please and thanks.
    -Lack of additional shock resistance. Just something I like to see in casual/sporty watches at this price point.
    -No display back. I consider it a positive for the Bremont, so it's a negative here. Please feel free to point out the anti-magnetic inner case preventing a visible movement so I can bring up Damasko again...

If you sat the two in front of me I'd probably have to pick the IWC. I'm a bit of a pilot purist and there are too many aesthetic issues for me with the Bremont.

While we're still being negative I'll add that if its my money I'd have a really hard time buying the IWC with brands like Stowa, Archimede, and Laco out there offering 90% of the watch for less than 20% of the money.
    good points. If push comes to shove I'd pick the IWC too. But both are a bit pricey considering Damasko and Sinn have more technology in their watches whilst containing similar movements to IWC and Bremont - and at a fraction of the price.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

I wouldn't buy the bremont. Not that I'd buy the mark 17 with that sort of money... But between these 2, I prefer the iwc

Sent from my GT-I8160 using Tapatalk 2
    Ball, Breitling, Omega, Rolex, Tag Heuer and Titoni

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information