IWC Pilot Chrono, Sinn 103: What else should I consider?
Like Tree72Likes

Thread: IWC Pilot Chrono, Sinn 103: What else should I consider?

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Hey guys and gals, thinking about consolidating my collection a bit more and turning a couple pieces into one everyday watch. I've been thinking about the IWC Pilot Chrono 3717 (42mm with 21mm lugs) and 3777 (current model, I believe; 43mm and 20mm lugs), both which are nearly 15mm thick. Also, the Sinn 103, which is 41mm with 20mm lugs, and even thicker, if I recall correctly. I'm also thinking about a version of the Tudor Heritage Chronograph, most likely the blue or gray, which is 42mm with 22mm lugs, and, in this company, a svelte 13mm or so thick.

What else should I be looking at? I'm not necessarily looking for cheaper alternatives, though I wouldn't be mad at money in my pocket, but I'm mainly looking for similar quality. The IWC is hardly a unique design--you could choke a dozen donkeys on flieger chronographs--so I have to imagine that IWC's quality is what makes it worth the price. But I also hear that Sinn punches above its weight class. And I've never owned a German watch.

Basically, what I'm looking for is 40-42mm, preferably 20mm lugs, 14mm thick or less would be nice, available for under $4,000 used or new. It'd be cool to have a brand I don't have (I already have two Tudors, but no IWC or Sinn).

What I'm looking at now:

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: I should mention that it doesn't have to be a chrono, it's just that I generally prefer chronos and divers, and I'm not looking for another diver right now. Between my Submariner and Black Bay, I'm good. Don't want another at this time.

Also, of the watches I'm currently considering, which would you choose and for what reason?
    mpalmer likes this.
    TAG Heuer Monaco LE|Omega Speedmaster|Seamaster 300MC|Rolex Submariner|Tudor Ranger

How did it get so late so soon?

Speedy. Because it’s Speedy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    badindianswamp likes this.
    Follow me on Instagram: ten13th
    My watch collection: A mixture of metal, plastic, leather, glass, a few drops of lubricant and a few batteries.

Re: IWC Pilot Chrono, Sinn 103: What else should I consider?

Of yours I’d get the IWC. That Sinn looks pretty horrible in my books and I’m not a fan of the Tudors.

My money would go on an on an older version of that IWC because I prefer the older style hands. The 3706 is in Budget and if you want to spend a bit more the 3713 double chrono looks awesome. Here they are respectively

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

From the watches you show I would pick the Sinn and I would suggest looking at Oris.
    Alpina, Frederique Constant, Girard-Perregaux, Glycine, Mido, NORD Zeitmachine, Omega, Oris, Poljot, Seiko, Swatch, Tissot, Tutima, Ulysse Nardin, Zenith

I've always enjoyed the 3717. A few other options:

Zenith Pilot Chronograph. There is also the Big Date model. I had issues with my Big Date and eventually sold it after the 3rd service from Zenith, but never had any issues with my previous 4 Zeniths. There's also the CP-2, but I personally do not care for the modern remake.

Name:  IMG_1849.JPG
Views: 719
Size:  167.7 KB

The new Longines Avigation Big Eye. I'd have already bought this if I wasn't consolidating and being extremely patient on a next purchase.

Name:  IMG_1483.JPG
Views: 712
Size:  406.2 KB

Damasko DC 80 (pic from Mike Stuffler)

Name:  IMG_1850.JPG
Views: 742
Size:  1.34 MB

Also has a black Damest coating option, a black strap with green and white stitching, and orange hand and pip if you'd prefer.

Like Omeglycine mentioned, the Zenith Tipo CP2 might be an option. Although I think it's 43mm and over budget.
    A traditional El Primero?

Are you interested in the more "sporty" chronos? Or willing to look at "dressier" ones?
    Aside from a Portugieser, I've thought this Zenith Classic nails the dressy chrono look.

Quote Originally Posted by ten13th View Post
    Speedy. Because it’s Speedy!

Speedmaster is a great choice, but....I already have one.
    ten13th likes this.
    TAG Heuer Monaco LE|Omega Speedmaster|Seamaster 300MC|Rolex Submariner|Tudor Ranger

Quote Originally Posted by Gunnar_917 View Post
    Of yours I’d get the IWC. That Sinn looks pretty horrible in my books and I’m not a fan of the Tudors.

My money would go on an on an older version of that IWC because I prefer the older style hands. The 3706 is in Budget and if you want to spend a bit more the 3713 double chrono looks awesome. Here they are respectively

Aren't the older models pretty small? Like 38-39mm? I don't see myself going for anything smaller than 40mm (and even that can feel small for a chrono) unless it's a dressy watch.

Quote Originally Posted by omeglycine View Post
    I've always enjoyed the 3717. A few other options:

Zenith Pilot Chronograph. There is also the Big Date model. I had issues with my Big Date and eventually sold it after the 3rd service from Zenith, but never had any issues with my previous 4 Zeniths. There's also the CP-2, but I personally do not care for the modern remake.

Name:  IMG_1849.JPG
Views: 719
Size:  167.7 KB

The new Longines Avigation Big Eye. I'd have already bought this if I wasn't consolidating and being extremely patient on a next purchase.

Name:  IMG_1483.JPG
Views: 712
Size:  406.2 KB

Damasko DC 80 (pic from Mike Stuffler)

Name:  IMG_1850.JPG
Views: 742
Size:  1.34 MB

Also has a black Damest coating option, a black strap with green and white stitching, and orange hand and pip if you'd prefer.
    I definitely like the Zenith a lot. For whatever reason, I always overlook Zenith. I'll have to check them out more. The Longines is nice too; how do you think it compares to IWC, Sinn, and Tudor quality-wise?

Quote Originally Posted by Tommywine0 View Post
    Like Omeglycine mentioned, the Zenith Tipo CP2 might be an option. Although I think it's 43mm and over budget.
    A traditional El Primero?

Are you interested in the more "sporty" chronos? Or willing to look at "dressier" ones?
    Aside from a Portugieser, I've thought this Zenith Classic nails the dressy chrono look.

No date on that top Zenith makes it very attractive! I'm a no date guy; my most worn watches are my Speedmaster, Submariner, and Black Bay, so knowing what the date is doesn't matter much to me.

As for the dressy options, they aren't really me. They look nice, but I fear I'd never wear them. Plus, I am planning on adding a Rolex OP39 either in 2018 or 2019 to fulfill my dressy needs (unless I win the Powerball, then I'll get a blue dial Patek Gondolo, that is hot)--until then, I'll continue to break rules and wear either my Speedmaster, Sub, or Monaco when I'm dressed. I'm pretty heavily into the slug life right now, and don't foresee needing to wear business attire until the middle of next year at the earliest. And for weddings and stuff (or for business attire, really), who really cares? No one's been turned away from a party for wearing a no date Sub, you know? Last time I wore a suit, I wore my Black Bay, and the last time I wore a jacket, I wore my Submariner. At that point, I'm more worried about my shoe game, as I'm a bit of a brogue addict; glad I haven't had to wear black tie since prom oh so many years ago.
    Tommywine0 likes this.

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread Information