IWC Portuguese 3714
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: IWC Portuguese 3714

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

IWC Portuguese 3714

Hi all,
    I am quite new to automatic watches, I currently only own a Hamilton Jazzmaster. I am looking to step up and am considering an IWC Portuguese chrono 3714, which I find absolutely beautiful. I'd like to know a bit more about the technical aspects of this watch, in particular about their ETA movement:

- I believe they use an ETA 7750 movement. Is that correct? I believe this is a very good movement, would you agree?

- I understand they used to modify the movement quite substantially but this is no longer the case. Would you consider this jeopardizes the quality, precision and longevity of the movement?

- Overall, would you recommend this watch from a technical point of view?

Can anyone help out?
    Anything else I should be looking out for?

Thanks!

A first automatic watch

I am looking into my first automatic watch and I want to invest in a really nice one.

I'm interested in an IWC Portuguese chrono 3714.
    Does anyone have any thoughts about this watch? The precision and durability of the movement?

Thanks in advance for your help!

IWC as a brand is a very highly regarded one. They make an outstanding product across their range. The automatic movement is a very mature technology meaning bad luck will be the determining factor in the selection of a watch that performs poorly.
    With this established all that really matters is your appreciation of the aesthetics.
    Enjoying a life far better than I deserve...

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Re: A first automatic watch

It's a (highly? I forget - get googling) modified eta 7750 - THE ubiquitous Swiss auto chrono movement. Reliable, but not exotic, though it is modified. They have an in-house Portuguese Chrono but I don't think it looks as good and it's about twice the price.
    BusyTimmy likes this.

Moderator at Large stuffler,mike's Avatar

Re: IWC Portuguese 3714

Quote Originally Posted by Thieums View Post
    I believe they use an ETA 7750 movement. Is that correct? I believe this is a very good movement, would you agree?
    Yep, a modified Eta 7750. Very good ? Compared to ? It is the most used chrono movement, rough and reliable. "Very good" however is a wording I would not use.

I understand they used to modify the movement quite substantially but this is no longer the case. Would you consider this jeopardizes the quality, precision and longevity of the movement?
    No, however, the 3714 successor, so to speak, which was introduced in 2013 at Baselworld, has been highly anticipated by fans of the brand for the upgrade from a Valjoux-based movement to an in-house IWC chronograph caliber (cal 89361). So the question might be yes regarding the move to an in-house movement with the IWC Portugese Chrono Classic. On top of this the newbie has undergone several aesthetic revisions that significantly separate it from the original.

Overall, would you recommend this watch from a technical point of view?
    From a technical point of view I would recommend the successor. The 3714 imho is quite pricey compared to other watches featuring a similar modified 7750 which can be had for much less.

BTW: merged two threads. One should do the trick, don't you think?!!
    Last edited by stuffler,mike; July 6th, 2014 at 14:14.
    Kind regards
    Mike

Instagram @mikestuffler

It is no longer new that ETA makes movements according to IWC specifications and IWC won't further modify those movements.

Having said that, i must admit the eta2892 in my aquatimer is a solid performer lives up to its reputation. Its time keeping is on par with my Omega and Breitling movements which are cosc. But I agree that ETA powered IWC watches are pricey.

Sent from my GT-I8160 using Tapatalk 2
    Ball, Breitling, Omega, Rolex, Tag Heuer and Titoni

I feel that there are two viewpoints on the 3714, which are much debated amongst WIS.

On one hand, you have an extremely nice design and very good overall quality of IWC. A durable and reliable chrono movement. It looks nice and runs well, so that's all some people want out of a watch. One could argue that it is a great watch in that price range.

On the other hand, you have a very common 7750 movement. It is no longer modified by Iwc, as it now comes "pre-modified" to Iwc specs. I doubt this changes the quality, but I think it does make it less interesting. One could argue that it is a very overpriced watch, based on the fact that 7750 movements can be found in watches that cost under $2000.

So in my opinion, you can choose whichever viewpoint that goes with your beliefs or interests. If the most important things are great looks with reliable movement, then you have a winner in the 3714. If you have interest in movements and the mechanical aspect of things, you might get bored with the Port Chrono after some time.

I owned a 3714-45 and really enjoyed wearing it. I started with the first point of view, but as my interest grew in movements I decided to sell it and go for something with a more interesting calibre.

Quote Originally Posted by hchj View Post
    It is no longer new that ETA makes movements according to IWC specifications and IWC won't further modify those movements.

Having said that, i must admit the eta2892 in my aquatimer is a solid performer lives up to its reputation. Its time keeping is on par with my Omega and Breitling movements which are cosc. But I agree that ETA powered IWC watches are pricey.

Sent from my GT-I8160 using Tapatalk 2
    To be fair, IWC's tolerances are actually tighter than COSC... IWC does not accept any watch movement to run slow which COSC allows. Their 2892A2's are known to be be pretty rock solid. Everyone that I've owned has run 1-2 seconds fast per day.

My two in-house IWCs are a different story. My Big Pilot runs about 12 seconds fast per day lol ..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    /.

The 7750 in IWC is still pretty unique -- the normal time second hand is located at the 6 o'clock sub-dial, in contrast with the normal 9 o'clock position in a normal 7750.

It's not as exclusive as a true in-house movement. It really depends on how much you value that. I personally enjoy having both ETA and in-house movements.

BusyTimmy likes this.

^ That photo alone shows it's worth the asking price, imho.

The 7750 is not bad to begin with. Once IWC are done with it (and they're really done with it now!) it's even better. Unless you have a problem with non-inhouse movements I'd say you have a winner.

For me, the Speedy Pro won out. Just cooler, albeit not as pretty (imho)>
    Last edited by BusyTimmy; July 8th, 2014 at 11:28.
    Current Collection: Sinn U1; Omega Speedmaster 3570.50; Seiko SARB033; Casio PRW-3000-1A, G-5600A-7DR; Jaeger Le-Coultre Reverso Grande Taille; Hamilton Khaki Field Mechanical ref. H69429931; A. Lange & Sőhne 1815 UP/DOWN; Swatch Sistem51, and some others...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information