IWC Portuguese Automatic or AP 15400
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: IWC Portuguese Automatic or AP 15400

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

IWC Portuguese Automatic or AP 15400

Which one would you choose as an everyday work watch (wearing suits/smart-casual)? And why?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Re: IWC Portuguese Automatic or AP 15400

AP 15400 please! Nothing particularly wrong with the IWC Portuguese Auto but the AP is in a different league (for me) in terms of case, dial and bracelet finishing. The AP also wears much thinner than the IWC if that matters to you.

Can't comment on the movement, both are probably very good I presume. The IWC does have a longer power reserve but apparently has issues with accuracy.

Name:  ap.jpg
Views: 1154
Size:  133.1 KB
    (Not mine unfortunately)
    Last edited by clover4studio; October 6th, 2013 at 13:00.
    Follow me on Instagram at: https://www.instagram.com/anthonydo3007/
    Current rotation:
    Omega Speedmaster "First Omega in Space", Omega Seamaster Diver 300M, Nomos Orion Neomatik, TAG Heuer Carrera Fangio LE

Gone: Rolex Sea-Dweller 4000, Jaeger-LeCoultre Grande Reverso Ultra Thin Duoface, Omega Seamaster 300 Master Co-Axial, Nomos Orion, Rolex Submariner 114060, Rolex GMT Master IIc, Omega Speedmaster Pro, Omega Speedmaster Co-Axial Chrono 9300, Omega Planet Ocean, Omega Planet Ocean Liquid Metal, IWC Portuguese Chrono, IWC Portofino Chrono, TAG Heuer Carrera Jack Heuer 80 Edition, TAG Heuer Grand Carrera, TAG Heuer Monaco, Grand Seiko SBGR061, Oris Divers 65

Both are fine watches, indeed. I am in the opinion that the Royal Oak is one of the best entry level "haute-horlogerie" pieces available on the market. The 15400 will certainly dress down better than the 5001 and will be easier to match up with different attire (i.e., you will not have to change the 15400 bracelet out to match your shoes/belts like you would with the 5001).

In case you aren't aware- be prepared for AP's service costs if you do end up going for the 15400 as they are not exactly cheap :)
    lmcgbaj likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

i'd go AP in black...
    Its a little more price to pay for a whole lot more to get

The Portuguese is a nice looking watch. However, the AP Royal Oak is one of the most iconic watches made, with an in-house movement. It also is more versatile than the Portuguese with that bracelet.
    Last edited by mpalmer; October 6th, 2013 at 23:22.
    "The stuff that dreams are made of…" - RGM ‘801 EE Motor Barrel’

Yeah two totally different but beautiful watches. The AP is twice as much and in another league, horologically. If you were to narrow down to a 3 hander vs a chronograph based on your needs, the answer is easier. I suppose a balanced comparison would be the RO or VC Overseas and Portuguese or Transocean Chrono. Good luck, you can't miss here.
    Last edited by Dienekes; October 6th, 2013 at 18:14.

because you guys don't seem to know, Portuguese Automatic is not the chronograph.

I would go with the AP. The movement on it is just so beautifully balanced in appearance and decorated, and the mechanical design is sound as well. It has the distinction of being the first luxury steel watch, which caused so much of the industry to follow suit (Patek came out with the Nautilus shortly after, then Vacheron presented the Overseas, then Rolex started marketing their tool watches as high end luxury watches). I just had the pleasure of seeing one in person and found that the polished bevels really sparkle in the light, but in an understated way. Also, I would not recommend you go with the black dial. In the photos you posted the watch looks readable, but in person when the silver hands are reflecting something black it's very difficult to read them against the tapisserie dial. The white dial is much more readable.

As mentioned earlier, the Vacheron Constantin Overseas is a more comparable watch. I've handled both, and found that the Overseas has a better bracelet and the guilloche dial looks better in person to me. It also has magnetic shielding. However, the AP has a better looking movement that you can actually see, and has a more appealing design to me overall. Both watches are getting into the high end market, and will cost you about $2000 to service.

Not...even...close. The AP.
    --AC

I would choose the AP Royal Oak 15400 over the IWC Portuguese in a heartbeat. While the 7 day movement in the IWC Portuguese Automatic is very nice, the $12K asking price seems excessive compared to offerings from JLC. As mentioned by many, the natural comparison to a AP Royal Oak is the Vacheron Constantin Overseas. At a higher price point, consider the Patek Philippe Nautilus, and at a lower price point, consider the IWC Ingenieur.

Patek Philippe Calatrava 5119J; Vacheron Constantin Overseas; Jaeger-LeCoultre Grande Reverso Duo; Rolex Submariner 114060; Omega Seamaster 300; Montblanc Heritage Dual Time; Tudor Black Bay.

Armida A12; Borealis Estoril; Bulova Accutron II Alpha, Moonwatch; Casio GMW-B5000D, GW-5000, GST-W310; Certina DS-2; Coach Fulton; Hamilton Khaki Field; Helson Skindiver; Orient 60th Anniversary; Seagull Tourbillon, 1963 Air Force; Seiko SNA089P, SUN025P1; Steinhart OVM; Swatch Body and Soul, Heracles, Sistem51, Uncle Charly; Victorinox Alliance, Infantry Vintage.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information