IWC SIHH 2019 Pilot Watches Preview at IWC Boutique Beverly Hills (photos and impressions)
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: IWC SIHH 2019 Pilot Watches Preview at IWC Boutique Beverly Hills (photos and impressions)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mav

IWC SIHH 2019 Pilot Watches Preview at IWC Boutique Beverly Hills (photos and impressions)

Our local collector's club in LA, LA Watch Gang, arranged for a special preview of the SIHH 2019 releases at IWC Boutique in Beverly Hills this morning. Thought I would share some photos and a few initial impressions, as an IWC owner and fan.

Here's three generations of the Top Gun Chronograph - the OG and legendary 3705 belonging to a friend, my now discontinued and outgoing 3890 and the new, incoming 3891. I'm really torn over the new 3891. My 3890 is technically the better watch, with a longer power reserve, flyback chrono function and arguably a cleaner dial layout. The 3891 does have a lower price of entry though and makes the Top Gun chrono a bit more accessible.

Same three with the new stealthy Doppel Chrono, which I love, especially the Doppel function. Just awesome.

The new Spitfire's are very nice, has new in-house movements and very compelling for the features and price points.

Here's the much talked about Mojave Desert Top Gun Chrono. I think it's one of those watches that you either hate it or love it. I'm in the latter camp. The tan colored ceramic case is matte, not shiny or plastic looking in some of the initial photos from SIHH. Certainly not a watch that I would recommend as a one and only but if you have a larger collection and want something totally different, this might deserve a close look. IMO IWC nailed it!

The Big Pilot Le Petit Prince continues to be a personal favorite!

This one would be filed under "go big or go home" for a rose gold Big Pilot.

I really liked the new Big Pilot Perpetual Calendar in bronze, although I'm generally not a big fan of bronze. I can't wait to see the new Rodeo Dr version of this one. Although it wasn't on hand to see, here's a picture of it from Monochrome.

Last edited by mav; May 6th, 2019 at 04:55.
    ♛ Rolex | Ω Omega | IWC | Zenith | Tudor | Seiko
    @aguynamedtommy

Re: IWC SIHH 2019 Pilot Watches Preview at IWC Boutique Beverly Hills (photos and impressions)

Great photos and thanks for the write up. I think the Spitfires came out real nice, and the in-house movements will take away one of the more frequent criticisms of IWC’s lower priced watches.

Re: IWC SIHH 2019 Pilot Watches Preview at IWC Boutique Beverly Hills (photos and impressions)

How does the spitfire chrono wear in terms of size? I'm very interested in that one.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

mav

Quote Originally Posted by Seaswirl View Post
    Great photos and thanks for the write up. I think the Spitfires came out real nice, and the in-house movements will take away one of the more frequent criticisms of IWC’s lower priced watches.
    Yeah, I agree. Personally I never had an issue with IWC using ETA or Selitta movements in their lower priced watches, my Ingy has a Selitta, but once they apply the new movements across the rest of the lineup, it'll quash a frequent criticism.

Quote Originally Posted by mak1277 View Post
    How does the spitfire chrono wear in terms of size? I'm very interested in that one.
    At 41mm in diameter and about 15mm, I did think it'll be a bit thick, but it wasn't too noticeable in person. It wore well on my 6.75" wrist.
    @aguynamedtommy

I am underwhelmed by what IWC did this year. While I like the brand I don’t think they did anything great for the show. I do like the in house chrono tho (don’t want to just be negative) but if I remember it was rather expensive
    My collection changes so often I got tired of redoing my signature

Would they make a Danger Zone model?
    Name:  IWC_Danger_Zone.jpg
Views: 50
Size:  194.6 KB

Name:  IWCdangerzone.jpg
Views: 51
Size:  132.0 KB
    Perseus likes this.
    "Life is the flower for which love is the honey. Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human face.
    The greatest happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved.
    " - Victor Hugo

Very nice. I like the Top Gun. It is a very different look for IWC, but cool, IMHO.

Great photos as well. Wish I had the wrist size to pull some of those off.
    "Either he's dead or my watch has stopped"
    Groucho Marx

"The only reason for time is so that everything does not happen at once..."
    Albert Einstein

Now here's a serious question, if you know please answer, thanks. The original watch in the Top Gun movie was a modified (blackened) Orfina Porche Design watch, lent to Tom to use by another actor. So how did IWC become the official sponsor for Top Gun watches? I am interested to know.

Name:  Orfina-Rocket-2.jpg
Size:  305.1 KB
    Name:  IWC-Pilots-Watch-Double-Chronograph-Edition-Top-Gun-Gear-Patrol.jpg
Size:  74.8 KB
    "Life is the flower for which love is the honey. Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human face.
    The greatest happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved.
    " - Victor Hugo

mav

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Fox Jr. View Post
    Now here's a serious question, if you know please answer, thanks. The original watch in the Top Gun movie was a modified (blackened) Orfina Porche Design watch, lent to Tom to use by another actor. So how did IWC become the official sponsor for Top Gun watches? I am interested to know.
    I think there's a distinction between IWC obtaining a license from the US Navy to use the Top Gun logo on a particular line of watches and the movie. Here's a press release about the US Navy Top Gun licensing and trademark with IWC from years ago: https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...142064383.html

I did ask if IWC was involved with Top Gun 2 in any way and I only received a smile and wink. I think it would be a huge brand miss if an IWC Top Gun watch wasn't featured (on my wrist haha) in next year's movie.

Finally there's a couple of IWC Top Gun watches that is only available to graduates of the Top Gun school that's not available for sale publicly.

Last edited by mav; May 6th, 2019 at 18:58.
    Michael Fox Jr. and Perseus like this.
    @aguynamedtommy

Very cool!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information