Jaeger LeCoultre ultra thin moon phase VS Grand Seiko SBGM235 which one would you choose.
Like Tree55Likes

Thread: Jaeger LeCoultre ultra thin moon phase VS Grand Seiko SBGM235 which one would you choose.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Off Topic post Jaeger LeCoultre ultra thin moon phase VS Grand Seiko SBGM235 which one would you choose.

Jaeger LeCoultre ultra thin moon phase VS Grand Seiko SBGM235.

Which one would you choose, and why. I would like to hear your opinion.

Name:  5scos0026.jpg
Views: 155
Size:  83.1 KB

Name:  SBGM235G_25081057726467_jpg.jpg
Views: 157
Size:  119.0 KB

Re: Jaeger LeCoultre ultra thin moon phase VS Grand Seiko SBGM235 which one would you choose.

JLC
    taev likes this.

Re: Jaeger LeCoultre ultra thin moon phase VS Grand Seiko SBGM235 which one would you choose.

JLC for me as well. Although a GS is noteworthy, a JLC will always hold more prestige in my opinion. But besides that, the JLC does the date function better (much more elegant, whereas the GS date just looks like an afterthought that was tacked on; kind of funny that the GS date on the advertising picture is coincidentally a "6" that coincides with the GMT ring as well!) Dial of the GS is too busy as well especially with the logo plastered over the watch a hundred times; I prefer my dials simple on a dress watch. Moonphase is icing on the cake.
    simonp67 and taev like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I am sure the GS can hold its own and is the more interesting one to look at in various lighting conditions, but it's the JLC for me. One of my favourites in this category due to its well executed simple elegance.
    One watch, many opinions.

JLC. It's much more classy looking. IMO, if you already had it, the GS is a piece to sell to get the JLC.
    taev likes this.
    Breitling | G-Shock | Glycine | Jaeger-LeCoultre | JS Watch | Longines | Omega | Rolex | Squale | Stowa | Tudor | Zenith

That JLC is the ultimate dress watch.

JLC for all the reasons above.

The GS is nice though.
    Timex Q Reissue
    Casio G-Shock GW-M5610
    Halios Seaforth (series 2) - Nimbus Grey
    Longines Legend Diver
    Omega Speedmaster Professional (311.30.42.30.01.005)
    Rolex Submariner (114060)
    Seiko SARB017 ‘Alpinist’
    Seiko SARB065 ‘Cocktail Time’
    Tissot Visodate

JLC by miles. Many things to love in this model: the balance of the dial, the integration of the date and MP in the small seconds, the exquisite finishing of all elements, and a superb engine among others.

The GS by the other hand has some drawbacks: the integration of the chapter ring, the GMT hand -looks substandard-, the position of the date window revealing a small caliber for the case size, and the mix of colors makes this model a no way for me.
    taev likes this.
    ALS Lange 1 | JLC TT1931 | ROLEX BLNR | AP RO15400 | NOMOS Tangente | OMEGA Seamaster 1957 | IWC Portuguese | BLANCPAIN FF Mil-Spec | PAM 217 | H. ASAOKA Kurono

Jaeger. Looks much better, that isn’t GS’s best offering. Even then as a dress watch I’d still go Jaeger
    taev likes this.

Although the GMT complication is more useful than the moon phase, I would also pick the JLC. To me it's just a much more attractive watch overall.

Plus, in my opinion, it's like choosing between a Mercedes and a Lexus. Sure, a Lexus is a fine automobile. But it's still made by Toyota, who is cranking out Corollas and Camrys by the millions. You can put a different badge on it and dress it up however you want, but a Lexus ES is still a Camry [I don't know if this is still the case, but Lexus was just marketing brand for the American market. In other countries, Lexus vehicles were sold as Toyotas]. A Lexus might even be a better car than a Mercedes (and less costly to service), but at the end of the day only one of them carries prestige. I can't imagine Janis Joplin writing "O Lord, won't you buy me a Lexus ES." That's why GS put the GS logo at 12 o'clock and dropped the Seiko badge. They're trying to distance GS watches from Seiko so they can appeal to luxury buyers.

Of course, one difference between cars and watches is that most people would recognize the brand of your car. No one will notice whatever watch is on your wrist.

In the end, these are luxury items where brand and prestige are as much, or more, of a factor as quality and functionality, which means it only comes down to opinion. Many will argue in favor of the GS (and some might ridicule my commentary in the process). Their preferences in favor of GS are equally valid. Once you're spending more than $10 to wear the time on your wrist rather than having to pull out your phone, pretty much every decision just comes down to what you prefer, how the aesthetics speak to you, and what brand you personally align with and feel pride in wearing. Oh yeah, and how easy it will be to flip so we can buy the next one that strikes our fancy.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information