James Bond/Omega
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: James Bond/Omega

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

James Bond/Omega

Hi guys, not sure if there has been a thread on this or not but anyway.
    Just been watching Skyfall on DVD (and some vintage Bonds!) and it got me thinking about Bond and the relationship with Omega. He has worn an Omega since Goldeneye (96'), anyone think they might change brand anytime soon? Or will Omega and Bond be connected for some time yet? I would love to see Bond back with a Rolex but this won't happen for marketing reasons. Any other brands that would be good? I think CW would be great but can't see this happening either due to the high price that Omega will pay....

Any other Bond fans on here?

James

Vancouver Island / California (depending on the citizenship I use)

Re: James Bond/Omega

I think at this point Omega has too much invested to let the Bond franchise slip away from them - how many 007 special editions are out there now? Certainly they're more deeply engrained in Bond culture than, say, BMW was - during the first 3 (or 4?) Bronsan movies. Just my thoughts, but if Omega wants to keep chasing Rolex, they might have to tone down the annual special editions and over the top product placement. But then again maybe not - there's no doubt it makes them a ton of money.

That said, I have no doubt that another watch company will takes it's place eventually (Bremont might be particularly well placed to be on his wrist - though a rather small outfit, with, I'm sure an equally small marketing budget).
    Daily Rotation:
    Seiko
    "Save the Ocean" Turtle; Tudor Black Bay; DOXA 1000T Project Aware (75/92); Seiko SKX013; Garmin Descent; Tissot PRS200

Quote Originally Posted by James123 View Post
    I think CW would be great
    Actually, I think that would be ludicrous.

He has to have a premium brand, and with the best will in the world...
    I used to list my watches here until I realised it ruined people's Google searches...

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by tribe125 View Post
    Actually, I think that would be ludicrous.

He has to have a premium brand, and with the best will in the world...
    Yeah I suppose your right, I was thinking more along the lines of it being a British brand, Bremont then as suggested?
    Walrus - yeah I think your probably right - however I think the Bond special editions are horrible!

Rumor has it that in the next one Bond discovers Omega replacing Rolex was a plot by Blofeld to get him to wear a watch which doesnt make him look quite so good
    KCZ and Nokie like this.
    Fiery the Angels Fell.

http://www.savewalterwhite.com/

Ian Fleming wore a Rolex in real life. His character James Bond wore a Rolex in his novels. In the first movies (staying true to Ian Fleming's vision) Bond wore a Rolex.

Don't get me wrong I love Omegas (my fiance is getting me an Omega Planet Ocean and I can't wait)....but Bond should only wear a Rolex. Omega/Bond relationship is sadly about the Bond franchise selling out.

As long as Barbara Broccoli is willing to sell out to Omega for cash it will continue to stay the same. Who knows? Maybe Hublot will entice her away with more cash. Wouldn't that upset some people lol

TS - To your point. Yes I would love to see the franchise going back to the inventor's vision of him wearing a Rolex. Think its the right thing to do but money conquers all unfortunately.
    Last edited by KiwiDivemaster; March 26th, 2013 at 18:19.
    Current - Breguet 3040 serpentine triple date (Month/Day/Date) moonphase, Rolex Submariner two-tone, Victornox Officers Chronograph
    Next: Hublot Big Bang Stainless Steel
    On deck: IWC Portuguese Automatic

Quote Originally Posted by KiwiDivemaster View Post
    Ian Fleming wore a Rolex in real life. His character James Bond wore a Rolex in his novels. In the first movies (staying true to Ian Fleming's vision) Bond wore a Rolex.

Don't get me wrong I love Omegas (my fiance is getting me an Omega Planet Ocean and I can't wait)....but Bond should only wear a Rolex. Omega/Bond relationship is sadly about the Bond franchise selling out.

As long as Barbara Broccoli is willing to sell out to Omega for cash it will continue to stay the same. Who knows? Maybe Hublot will entice her away with more cash. Wouldn't that upset some people lol

TS - To your point. Yes I would love to see the franchise going back to the inventor's vision of him wearing a Rolex. Think its the right thing to do but money conquers all unfortunately.
    I dont think its about selling out at all.

Yes Fleming and Bond wore a Rolex but look at the way Bond is now compared to how Bond was originally written and there is very little relation to the original character.

With the exception of the latest one they have been very gimmicky and childish which was perhaps not the image Rolex wanted to portray for their brand.

If anything Rolex may have decided that there was better places to advertise their goods than in the cinema where a large proportion of the viewers dont care what watch the character is wearing.
    Fiery the Angels Fell.

http://www.savewalterwhite.com/

Quote Originally Posted by KiwiDivemaster View Post

Well that's not the worst thing in the world, either. I think with something like James Bond - if it's not making money hand over fist, the franchise is doing it wrong. This isn't a not for profit venture, we aren't talking about restoring some great classic work to the condition in which a master would have left it finished. This is James Bond. It's fun. It's light hearted (ish). It's not supposed to be about staying true to Ian Flemming's original character. At least not 100%

If Omega's contributions make it easier to produce a film like the newest Bonds, I'm all for it. If it makes the numbers line up so that the bean counters give it the green light a bit more easily - I say keep Omega around. Same thing for Ford's product placement. And Sony's. And the rest of them. If we want genuine Bond, all we need to do is head to the nearest library, or flip on Netflicks. We can enjoy pure, unadulterated, Rolex wearing, Aston Martin driving Bond to our hearts content.
    Nokie likes this.
    Daily Rotation:
    Seiko
    "Save the Ocean" Turtle; Tudor Black Bay; DOXA 1000T Project Aware (75/92); Seiko SKX013; Garmin Descent; Tissot PRS200

Quote Originally Posted by cs12 View Post
    I dont think its about selling out at all.

Yes Fleming and Bond wore a Rolex but look at the way Bond is now compared to how Bond was originally written and there is very little relation to the original character.

With the exception of the latest one they have been very gimmicky and childish which was perhaps not the image Rolex wanted to portray for their brand.

If anything Rolex may have decided that there was better places to advertise their goods than in the cinema where a large proportion of the viewers dont care what watch the character is wearing.
    I agree with a lot of this - except the last line. Cinema goers, especially the target demographic for a Bond film do care. I mean the target audience for a Bond film is what, men aged 20 - 50 or so? These are guys with money to burn, and a desire to be just as cool and sophisticated and suave as the British secret agent. Guaranteed they watch to see what he wears, how he acts, what he drinks and eats, etc. I know I notice! And if you underscore that with the usual assortment of special editions and magazine spreads (Bond's choice!) you're going to sell a lot of watches based on exactly the fact that viewers care about what the character is wearing.
    Daily Rotation:
    Seiko

I'm sure Omega will continue to sponsor Bond and why wouldn't they? The amount of Bond threads on WUS alone is proof that a lot of people are interested in Bond's watch.

Rolex fans wish Bond would wear the same watch he wore in 1953, but times change. I don't see how a change on the wrist cheapens the image or legacy of a fictional character who ran around with Pussy Galore, Octopussy, and Honey Ryder!
    pdquist likes this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information