Japanese Quartz V Swiss Quartz ?
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Japanese Quartz V Swiss Quartz ?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Japanese Quartz V Swiss Quartz ?

Personally I'm not a Quartz buyer ! but my girlfriend has asked me to help in buying her a watch and she seems to want a Quartz !
    mainly for the convenience of grab and go and the accuracy !

she has found a few she likes and two of these are promoted as being SWISS QUARTS movements , and the price on these are somewhat higher
    than the other Japanese Quarts !

Now i know nothing about the build Quality of these movements but am wondering, how different can they be ?
    In my ignorance i say a quartz is a quartz no matter where its built and to my thinking the price difference can only be put down to the higher
    labor costs in Switzerland as opposed to the extremely low labor costs in Asia !

Correct me if I'm wrong BUT , didn't the Japanese invent the Quartz ?
    shouldn't they be the masters of the Quartz world ?

To add some weight to my way of thinking , I am also aware that 99% of the buying public mentally connect the word SWISS to the word QUALITY
    when you are talking about watches so this gives the Swiss a higher asking price advantage !

I know nothing about this so can anyone give me some details in the difference between the two please ?
    Laymans terms would be greatly appreciated Thanx !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by Ray MacDonald; November 26th, 2011 at 14:33.
    Grandpa ! when were you in the Navy ?

" Arrr me lad , Twas back in the day when Ships were made of WOOD and the men were made of STEEL "

Re: Jap Quartz V Swiss Quartz ?

I'm certain that it is not your intent to offend, but....the title of your thread could be seen as offensive. Please amend your title to be more reflective of the international nature of this forum.

Thank you.

Btw, there is an entire forum dedicated to the quartz movement(though the specific movements discussed there are not your typical quartz movements), I'm sure they could provide some insight into your thread.
    Last edited by novedl; November 26th, 2011 at 06:16.
    Enjoying a life far better than I deserve...

IMO there's no way Swiss quartz should be priced higher than Japanese quartz. If I were you I'd get my gf a decent Eco-Drive Citizen and call it a day.
    CitizenM likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

The Japanese didn't invent quartz per se, no one did, but they were the first to the market and by far the most important driving force behind its success.

Japanese quartz can offer some serious advantages over the Swiss counterparts. Atomic/radio controlled time keeping, solar power, "kinetic" (rotor power), arguably the spring drive, the most advanced movement ever made, high end quartz (also found in Swiss models, in fairness), and much more complex movements. Generally the quality of the watch in general, per price point, is higher as well.

Of course, if there's a model she loves that happens to be Swiss, then go for it. There's nothing bad about Swiss quartz.

I basically only buy Citizen eco-drives at this point. I have some g-shocks too for when I want to protect the Citizens.

Name:  DSCF3209.jpg
Views: 10551
Size:  125.4 KB
    Dennix, Janne, 3th3r and 1 others like this.

CitizenM: your Campanola is really a fine example for high end Japanese Quartz watches
    CitizenM likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennix View Post
    CitizenM: your Campanola is really a fine example for high end Japanese Quartz watches
    Lol I wish it was mine. I just used it as an example. But I may grab a Citizen Signature Grand tomorrow....we will see.

Banned

Overall I'd actually say the Japanese are the masters of quartz. The A660 Citizen, 9F Seiko and the new Citizen Ecodrive Chronomaster are wonderful movements. I give the nod to Citizen over Seiko because of their perpetual calendar combined with eco-drive, a power reserve display, 25+ jewels (on a QUARTZ!) and superior decoration in their new movement. Killer! At around 36-37mm it might still look alright at a female wrist. But it is neither particularly jewel-like nor very feminine. So not sure if she will like the best quartz in the world.

Otherwise ETA makes some thermo-compensated quartz movements, too. Mostly these are rather big and you can find them thus only in bigger watches, afaik. They have the advantage that they can be quite easily trimmed to be even more exact than the specs they are delivered with, which are inferior to Citizen and Seiko specs.

In the low and mid-end I don't think that there is a huge preference. But in the high-end, I prefer the Japanese.
    CitizenM likes this.

Re: Japanese Quartz V Swiss Quartz ?

Original title edited.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

The japanese didn't invent quartz watch movements per se but they were far more successful than the swiss companies at developing a marketable watch. They were also leaders at subsequent refinement of the design and expansion of movement features. All that is interesting history but largely irrelevant to making a gift purchase today. The quartz movement of today is highly reliable, very accurate and is the clear choice over mechanical foe most people. Either a swiss or japanese brand quartz will be an excellent choice. If I were you I would focus on the style and exterior features as well as a brand name recognized by women. Consider Raymond Weill...she will love it if you pick a atyle that she would like.

[QUOTE=John MS;448413If I were you I would focus on the style and exterior features as well as a brand name recognized by women.[/QUOTE]
    Agreed. Pick a style/brand that she likes at a price that makes sense to you and don't worry about the movement. While I'm sure there are fans who could endlessly talk about the merits of a given movement or where it may have been manufactured, I personally don't think there's much difference between basic quartz movements. You can get thermo compensated/perpetual calendar/smooth ticking/radio controlled etc. quartz movements in various watches that will have certain advantages over a basic quartz movement, but most watches will just have a standard quartz movement that does a very good job of keeping the time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information