JeanRichard Question
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: JeanRichard Question

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

JeanRichard Question

Thinking about purchasing a Terrascope. Any thoughts on the brand and where pricing should be? Thanks Eric

Re: JeanRichard Question

JeanRichard is a dying brand a lot of their watches can be found 50-80% off. They tried really hard in the Asian market to some success. Not much success in North America.

Here are a few samples from the Watchery with high discounts.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Smallappliance View Post
    Thinking about purchasing a Terrascope. Any thoughts on the brand and where pricing should be? Thanks Eric
    Ashford had 75% off + additional disc 2 months back or so. You're too late.
    rfortson likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

See this thread, lots of pictures and discussion on JR. https://forums.watchuseek.com/f2/jean...d-2118250.html

Quote Originally Posted by Boding View Post
    JeanRichard is a dying brand a lot of their watches can be found 50-80% off. They tried really hard in the Asian market to some success. Not much success in North America.

Here are a few samples from the Watchery with high discounts.
    Sorry, wrong. Debunked in a thread here quite some time ago. JR are healthy and continuing. I speak to the rep in FL often. Gray market watches don't really prove anything about a brand. You may want to look at some of the bigger dealers like Jomashop and Ashford. I don't really think all the brands they carry with heavy discounts are "dying".
    slcbbrown and rfortson like this.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Pallet Spoon View Post
    Sorry, wrong. Debunked in a thread here quite some time ago. JR are healthy and continuing. I speak to the rep in FL often. Gray market watches don't really prove anything about a brand. You may want to look at some of the bigger dealers like Jomashop and Ashford. I don't really think all the brands they carry with heavy discounts are "dying".
    If they can discount more than 75% and still healthy and profitable, man they must have some really inflated MSRPs. I feel robbed :(

Quote Originally Posted by Veda View Post
    If they can discount more than 75% and still healthy and profitable, man they must have some really inflated MSRPs. I feel robbed :(
    Lol, look around. I think that is the case with most brands. If you look at the way the gray market works they are not the ones taking the loss on those discounted watches, BUT it sure hurts their sales going forward because now their AD's need to try to compete with those prices.
    rfortson likes this.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Pallet Spoon View Post
    Lol, look around. I think that is the case with most brands. If you look at the way the gray market works they are not the ones taking the loss on those discounted watches, BUT it sure hurts their sales going forward because now their AD's need to try to compete with those prices.

Everyone take note not to buy JRs any more than 25% MSRP.

I do feel that JRs more so than other brands have much higher MSRPs than their actual quality. Misaligned bezel and simple cut out date window unacceptable for a $10.5k watch. I know how you feel about this brand and I don't know what kind of connection you got with them, I'm simply stating an opinion of my own watch:

JeanRichard Terrascope 60500-56-207-BB60 Men's Watch

JR makes interesting watches and has made the case shape their differentiator, which is not an easy task. They also have some in-house movements.
    The recent Ashford sale thread generated quite a bit of interest and almost entire terrascope line (at least best looking models + all 39mm) was bought out. Some very unique dials, beautiful cases and indices - overall impressed w their watches.

But... as a business - I'm not sure I'd bet on their long term survival as a brand. This is purely my speculation, but a lot of their recent moves cast a shadow on their business continuity. The Ashford and other GM firesales were very different from routine discounts present w other brands. Firesale like that indicated an inventory dump, which is usually a sign of cash-flow issues. If the brand is having cash-flow issues, I'm not convinced the parent company will keep dumping money into an underperforming asset. Kering will likely try to sell Jean Richard, but unless someone like Biver decides to pick it up, most likely the buyers will be some Chinese company interested in brand name as goodwill value only (company may not be the same as we've seen time and time again w many former top brands).
    Further, a firesale of inventory and drastic discounts on GM (Ashford had 75-80% on some top selling models) undermine AD positioning. If I was an AD I'd be beyond pissed. And once you lose AD loyalty and interest, your distribution network becomes limited to GM and online sales, which further erodes position for any luxury brand.

I know Kering CEO indicated that JR brand is still doing well and they are committed to it, but in investment world - actions speak louder than words. No CEO will badmouth one of its holdings or undermine possible value of a future sale. Based on recent JR actions and sales, I would not look at brand as a sustainable one. Their watches on the other hand are something I would not mind picking up one day (39mm terrascope w a nice dial at <$1K).
    Cybotron and rfortson like this.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by EnderW View Post
    Their watches on the other hand are something I would not mind picking up one day (39mm terrascope w a nice dial at <$1K).
    I only recently found out that I like the 39mm better than the 44mm when I got my wife's :(

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information