WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Jewelry Counter Watch Brands...do You Own Any?

555 views 9 replies 10 participants last post by  imaCoolRobot 
#1 ·
My neighbor is heading to Macy's, Dilliards, etc. tonight to look for a watch to wear tomorrow for Easter. I offered to let him borrow a Longines, one of two Omega watches, an Audemars Piguet, a Grand Seiko, two Seiko watches, eight Hamilton watches and a few others. He's under the impression that if Macy's or Dillards doesn't sell the brand then they aren't good. I had terrible luck with the Guess, Raymond Weil and other various brands found in retailers. Do any of you have any luck? Guess he has money burning a hole in his pocket.

#2 ·
I don't own one, but Seiko makes a solid watch. Not sure how many automatic versions they'll have at the department store though, but maybe he's just not a watch guy and that doesn't matter to him.

Money burning a hole in his pocket? It's a lot cheaper buying a $300 Seiko quartz than a Swiss automatic.

#3 ·
Our local Macy's (or perhaps it's Dillard's) sells Victorinox, but beyond that it's pretty standard department store offerings. I've never seen Raymond Weil in an anchor store, but I can tell you their latest offerings are nothing like the "fashion" stuff they were crankin' out during the quartz craze. They make a nice watch now.

Beyond that, if your friend is just looking for something (relatively) inexpensive, I'm sure he'll be fine. I tend to believe we over-think the "common man's" watch purchase. Heck, I doubt anything sold at Macy's is just gonna fall apart on the guys wrist. My son wears a Swatch chronograph that's been beat to hell and back...the kid is a high school football player and a never-happy-unless-he's-going-full-balls-out "jock" with a sprinkling of beach-bum thrown in...and the thing is still keeping perfect time.

If your friend thinks a mall watch is the end-game of watches, don't try and talk him out of it. Maybe try and steer him away from some of the brands that'll get a man tarred and feathered 'round these parts, but if he can find a nice Seiko, Citizen, Wenger, Victorinox, Bulova...and yeah, even a "subdued" Gucci....and it makes him happy, it's money well spent.

#5 ·
There's a Macy's near here that sells Rado, Longines, Breitling, and TAG in addition to all the fashion watches.

RE the original question (do you own any?), the answer is "yes". Much to my chagrin, my wife's favorite among my watches is a Skagen that I keep running only because she likes it.

#7 ·
Tell him the flagship macys store in NYC sells Hamilton and tag heuer. My local macys also sells tag, Victorinox, Seiko and citizen.

#9 ·
I have Seiko and Citizen, fine watches for the price. If he is looking to spend a couple hundred dollars, it should work out for him.

If he wants a luxury watch, send him to a Sams or Costco at the least. You never know what 2-4 luxury options they will have on the shelf lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.